Official Promotion And/or Boot Animation/Jingle Thread.

Please no eyes, they are just far too creepy. I don't want to see a pair of eyes looking back at me every time I turn my Pandora on.

Tobriand said:
It may be moot to discuss boot sounds for now, simply because Craig (I think... could have been MWeston, or possibly Evildragon, but I think Craig) has stated before that he can't stand them. I'd guess that would mean Pandora won't have a boot sound - though I don't know whether it'll mean the capability won't be there...
I think that would be for the best. Then we could add our own (if possible), which means I could have Mr Gonzo's awesome retro anim (at least until the novelty wears off, anyway).

Koplop's anim was nice too, and would be a good choice if one must be added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the retro one WarmFluffyUK, i also think Logo1 would be great for a nice fast boot up screen! :)

I'm working on my Doctor Who concept. I've revised what it is, and I've rendered my TARDIS in Blender- Now it's a pan from floor level looking at the Tardis and going to above the TARDIS at the right angle. Still need to add the signal lamp flash and the Pandora logo fade-in.

My first attempt at my logo is up! Put together with Blender and Vegas Movie Studio. The little text is unreadable in YouTube compression, but it says "It's bigger on the inside!", both a Doctor Who quote in reference to the TARDIS, and a reference to the Pandora's massive processing power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3g_eh2q7tk

So what would be the odds of making an app to change boot animations for each boot. It could be simple, for example, if you import a boot animation by dragging the appropriate file onto the appropriate spot on the SD card, a file manager could be made to switche the file out with one in your archive of animations each time the system is booted (I know, that'll add to the over all time you have to wait before you can select the app you want, but surely it wouldn't be noticeable). It would be even easier if there was just a config file somewhere that could be edited to point to a new file in your archive (less write time, and less wear on the SD card). Of course, if it requires writing to the internal nand, this idea's probably out.

Also, you could have a file indicating the frequency to use each animation, if you like one animation better than another, you can rate it higher and it'll display more often. You could possibly even specify dates to display a “Happy Christmas” if it's booted on Christmas, or a Blue screen of death on April fools day (this is only possible if the Pandora can adjust it's animation based on the date)..

A while back, someone had mentioned the idea of an app to sync the Pandora with the archive, if this is done it's possible you could update your animation archive each time too, allowing new animations to be used without you even knowing what they are (which adds a bit of surprise).

An added educational bonus could allow packages of “animations” with cultural tidbits of what happened on that day in history. Like, on Halloween it could load something saying the origin of the holiday, some reference to Romulus Augustulus as an Emperor, Something about Nevada, etc. If images are required instead of text then it wouldn't increase the file size much (if any) to add back grounds behind the text of drawings from artists born on that day (and if music is enabled some might want artists' songs playing). And if you're interested in any bit of the information displayed during boot, you can select an app, after booting is finished, it'll list all the historic events with the current date, and you can then load the appropriate Wikipedia/other article (if an Internet connection is available, or if the pages are already archived).

This would be harder because not only would we need people to create summaries of each date, but also, the Pandora would either need to know what day it was when it booted and adjust the “animation” accordingly(same problem as before) or, turn itself on automatically each day to change for tomorrow's “animation”. I'm not sure if we have any way of doing either of these so it's probably out, but I'd choose it if it where an option.

Sorry, I realize this doesn't actually contribute to the “official” animation.. So if I had to choose, I'd go Logo 1 by warmfluffyUK, it's simple, and unbiased based on what the Pandora's going to be used for (and doesn't raise the “why” question that the eyes based animations do).

But really, they're all impressive (at least, in my opinion), which is why It'd be good to use them all. Also, this wouldn't let the deeper novelty animations become redundant. Like, it could be awesome to see a blue screen of death which a small pandora box flys through, causes it to shatter, does a fast spinning motion creating a vortex of wind blowing away the glass, and sits down with "Pandora" text fading in under it. But if I had to watch that every time it'd lose it's appeal, and isn't ignorable enough to to pass unnoticed.

</long>

Mr.Gonzo said:
EDIT: Pandora retro animation Version 2 is done ! with audio and a small jingle :)
you can find it HERE!

I like. It's going to be hard to figure out what bootup animation I want the most now. :lol:

Can you upload that in a "real" movie format, too?

javaJake said:
Mr.Gonzo said:
EDIT: Pandora retro animation Version 2 is done ! with audio and a small jingle :)
you can find it HERE!

I like. It's going to be hard to figure out what bootup animation I want the most now. :lol:

Mr.Gonzo said:
OH and HERE is a HI RES version with no sync problems ( that the great youtube makes when you upload something on it ) of the Version 2 of my retro animation

Mr.Gonzo said:
javaJake said:
Mr.Gonzo said:
you can find it HERE!

Mr.Gonzo said:
OH and HERE is a HI RES version with no sync problems ( that the great youtube makes when you upload something on it ) of the Version 2 of my retro animation

I think he meant not Flash.

+1 for Mr. Gonzos's Retro stile Boot Animation :lol:

I'am really looking forward for an complete Retro Theme (with all the Icon/Button stuff) on my Pandora, at least when "Wind & Water" will be released for the Pandora and I can use my individual Character instead of the normal 8Bit boy :)
(this shouldn't mean that he looks bad, just that it would be amazing if your theme could be customized easily/in a way so that you can put your own character image (perhaps with a little help of you) instead of the blue guy, so that he flys into the pandora etc. B) )

If it will not be possible, than it would still be the one I will chose (they all look professional, but because the others look too comercial, not like fun/more serious) :rolleyes:

I think it's a great animation. I think it's a horrible boot animation.

i prefer the first too, and i being honest...i'm drunk.

logo 1 is the best.

Back