offline Pandora User manual

Error report:

Chapter: V. New Software Install

Section: Where DON'T .PND files go ?

pnd files are indeed looked for in a SD - Cards root directory (skeezix built it in to appease craig)

Edit:

I would recommand adding a small warning in the "Installing Angstrom packages" section not to do an "opkg upgrade" (or was it "update" ?) as it could leed to a messed up fimware.

Some generel note:

Maybe narrow the scope a little, a static document like a pdf/odt file tends to get outdated after a while - that were wikis could come in handy (they can get outdated too, but it is easier for other people to update them, and they are usually in a fixed location).

Don't get me wrong, its really good what you are doing and I do not want to lower your motivation, but I think a document like this should me made so it could be printed on paper and included in the package, so in an ideal situation a new user should just need your document and the repo to get him started. If a user wants more he should be encouraged to use the wiki / the boards - where he will end up anyway if a problem occurs.

Having a situation where a user opens up a "help" thread stating the he has done it the way it was describes in the unofficial user manual and other users needing to ask what the version of the document is, and where he downloaded it - could also leed to some confusion.

As an example:

Having a step by step guide on how to update the firmware is essential and should be definately in there but a guide on how to run the firmware from an SC-Card should be left online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please change it's save file to HTML or an OpenOffice or LibreOffice format instead of the proprietary PDF format?

PDF is not proprietary anymore. For a long time, already.

Wikipedia:

While the PDF specification has been available free of charge since at least 2001,[4] PDF was originally a proprietary format controlled by Adobe. It was officially released as an open standard on July 1, 2008, and published by the International Organization for Standardizationas ISO 32000-1:2008.[1][5] In 2008, Adobe published a Public Patent License to ISO 32000-1 granting royalty-free rights for all patents owned by Adobe that are necessary to make, use, sell and distribute PDF compliant implementations.[6]

I like keeping it as PDF (or html) for the final product, the user is just supposed to read it like a manual, not write it himself.

Couldn't it work like software:

Google doc or wiki (community edited)

--> nightly automatic conversion to printable pdf (with latest info on new firmware, bugs, compatibility lists)

--> content freeze

--> clean up content etc (beta)

--> proofreading/editing

--> release

Last edited by a moderator:
Error report:

Chapter: V. New Software Install

Section: Where DON'T .PND files go ?

pnd files are indeed looked for in a SD - Cards root directory (skeezix built it in to appease craig)

Edit:

I would recommand adding a small warning in the "Installing Angstrom packages" section not to do an "opkg upgrade" (or was it "update" ?) as it could leed to a messed up fimware.

Some generel note:

Maybe narrow the scope a little, a static document like a pdf/odt file tends to get outdated after a while - that were wikis could come in handy (they can get outdated too, but it is easier for other people to update them, and they are usually in a fixed location).

Don't get me wrong, its really good what you are doing and I do not want to lower your motivation, but I think a document like this should me made so it could be printed on paper and included in the package, so in an ideal situation a new user should just need your document and the repo to get him started. If a user wants more he should be encouraged to use the wiki / the boards - where he will end up anyway if a problem occurs.

Having a situation where a user opens up a "help" thread stating the he has done it the way it was describes in the unofficial user manual and other users needing to ask what the version of the document is, and where he downloaded it - could also leed to some confusion.

As an example:

Having a step by step guide on how to update the firmware is essential and should be definately in there but a guide on how to run the firmware from an SC-Card should be left online.

You are right, the manual (which could be renamed to "New User Quick Start guide"as well) is primarly intended for new users who just what to know the most basic (but substantial) things about their new device.It's not aimed towards resolving every possible issue you might get while using the pandora. About outdated info. I don't think that things like inserting the battery, turning on/off the console, etc) will change or at least not in Pandora 1, also we can all update the document if/when needed.There is still content editing needed. I already uploaded the .odt in the first post for anyone who might want to make some changes and share it with all of us. hopefully we can all come up with an official Pandora manual/guide either as a Pdf or a printed version. :)

Back