Ogg Player...

birdofprey

Website
www.dontcallmeginger.co.uk
I keep hearing about updates of this Oggvorbis player? and hjust have a few questions.

I have been using the Ogg format as a great alternative to MP3 for a long time now, and have been using Yogg. I cannot understand why anyone would create an alternative to Yogg as it seems perfect to me! The ability to 'lock' the screen, meaning you cannot accidentally push the volume up past 32 or change song is fantastic, and the ability to create a playlist makes it everything i could ever need. Are there advantages to Vorbis? Should i bothor giving it a try?

(i also like the layout of Yogg)

Anyone been in this situation and discovered the greater program?

Thanks in advance

I use svorbis just 'cos I like to be able to play random tracks - Once you have it set up how you want all you need to do is switch your gp32 on and load the program (Which I have GPBios to do automatically).

No need to mess around with playlists - it shows you all the ID tags for the files and it remembers what track you were playing when it was switched off. It also remembers that you had it locked and on random.

If like me you want a walkman replacement that just plays straight away when you switch on then svorbis is well worth playing around with - but if you want something fancy looking then stick with yogg or gpamp.

also, i dont like yogg, because it doesnt run full speed. All tracks run 2-3% slower than they actually are.sVorbis doesn´t suffer this problem.

Hi birdofprey!

Since I'm the one who's responsible for the "competitor" to Yogg, called SvOrbis, I just can't keep my mouth shut... ;)

I've been using Yogg in the first place, but here's what made me do yet another OggVorbis Player:
  • If you start Yogg, I doesn't start playing. Why? The program is only for playing oggs, so why can't it start right away?
  • It doesn't save the playlist. Everytime I turn it on I needed over a minute to select some tracks to play.
  • Yogg plays the music a bit too slow. There's one song where I noted that with pain in the ears, the song just wasn't fun anymore for me to hear.
  • Yogg looks nice, by far nicer than SvOrbis. No discussion here. I'm also willing to state the SvOrbis looks like goat barf ;), but it has squeezed as much information on the screen as possible (at least with an 8x8 font, anything less tends to get unreadable - I also like to recycle C64 fonts...).
  • Yoyo doesn't have enough time on developing Yogg any further.
  • And last, but not least. Right now, it's a fun thing for me to do...
Or to put it in another way: If you want a walkman replacement, SvOrbis is (well at least is intended to be) the better choice. If you want a cool looking player to impress your friends you should go for Yogg.

(Just popping up my mind: the user interface of an average portable mp3 player isn't very 'groovy' either, is it?)

Greetings,
SvOlli

lol am now officially using svorbis lol

You'd make a great darth vader svolli i'm 100% convinced to join the dark side... uhh i mean use your ogg player. The idea of being ale to save playlists and have it on random play is cool! Is there a lock buttons mode? so nothing can get accidentally bumped or pressed? This i the best option that yogg has.

Is there a lock buttons mode? so nothing can get accidentally bumped or pressed? This i the best option that yogg has.
As stated on the webpage:

start + select: toggle lock

You'll see the world "lock" in the status line if lock is on.

Greetings,
SvOlli

P.S.: Sorry about tearing your view of the world apart, "son". ;)

Back