Ogg Questions

Dryer Lint

I finally got my new FLU from eBay and couldn't be happier. :D

Anyway, I want to make the switch to OGG, finally and have a few questions regarding the bitrate (and possible compression options):

I read in this topic that OGG files are much smaller at equal quality...

But what OGG bitrate equals what MP3 bitrate?

Let's say I want to compress a song into OGG format so that it either

a ) sounds just as good as a stereo MP3 at 128kbps

c ) sounds just as good as a stereo MP3 at 192kbps

What would be the neccessary bitrates/options?

And no offense, but please reply only if you have experience with this stuff, speculation or half-information doesn't help me much. ;)

Thanks!

P.S.: Which player on the GP32 has the best sound quality?

Edit: Censored stupid questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Variable Bitrate (VBR) instead of Constant Bitrate (CBR). Though present in other formats as well it's one of the strong points of OGG. You can just use quality settings then. I mostly use 2 for smaller filesizes, though to me it's as good as 128kbps MP3 files. And if I want to match with a 192kbps MP3 I mostly use a VBR level of 3 or 4 in OGG files.
Of course there are more accurate/better settings for the real audiophile, but this is good enough for my GP32. And much easier to remember. :p

For playing ogg, I would suggest starting simple with svorbis from www.gp32x.de, its easy to setup, and very minimalistic interface.

If you want the best experience and have time to figure out a thing or two, use gpamp2. Also at www.gp32x.de (listed as gpamp)
It uses winamp classic skins, so has a sweet interface, has playlist ability, and is well well documented. Only hard thing is creating playlist first time, read documentation first, then is very easy.

For making ogg files, use dbpoweramp, its free and has the most updated ogg version.

HAve fun!!!

Personally I prefer Svorbis, I don't need that eye-candy and LOVE the c64 font... :) And, in the near future it will eventually have replaygain...

For converting I use foobar2000, which also supports replaygain. For the GP32 I set the quality to 2 which equals something like 96kbs in MP3 but OGG is MUCH superior to MP3 @ low bitrate (just check the forums at audiohq.com or something like that...)

Back