Old Computer Emulators

i call any rip of a game a rom, may it be a disk, cart, tape, disc, etc ... even though its technically incorrect

Now i'm just fullspeed (200Mhz) with no sound... I have gain the missing 6% to reach the 100% on most games. I have lot to study for porting the full YM audi chip to second core :p so please be patient...

You may want to talk to Notaz about that as he uses the second core for the Megadrive YM audio chip in Picodrive. He may be able to help and save some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use mostly z80 files. I'm stunned why people want to use tzx files in their old format and wait 4 minutes for a game to load ! Yeah it may be fun to do it just once to recreate the 80's again but we all know what the tape loading noise is. Why on earth would you want to wait that long ?

Obviously on a real Spectrum its totally different, you have to wait but when you have a device as an emulator which speeds up loading times and other useful features why would you want to wait for a game to load ? Defeats the whole purpose ?

Perhaps we should also have an option so you pay 7.95 to play on any Speccy game first if you really want to recreate those days ! ;)

psj3809 posted on Feb 14 2007 at 10:18 AM said:
I use mostly z80 files. I'm stunned why people want to use tzx files in their old format and wait 4 minutes for a game to load ! Yeah it may be fun to do it just once to recreate the 80's again but we all know what the tape loading noise is. Why on earth would you want to wait that long ?

I'm surprised you of all people would need to ask that question :p

It is of course the simple matter that .z80 files cannot store games that require multiloading for levels. Of course, you could store a .z80 for each level but that would really knacker up your high scores...

I appreciate that flashloading like certain PC emulators is probably beyond the abilities of the humble '2x (though there's no reason that should be the case)... But we really should be supporting only three formats for the Speccy - eDSK, .SZX and .TZX.

D.

Dizzyegg05 posted on Feb 13 2007 at 02:11 PM said:
i use winape for that and they never seem to work so any pointers will be very very appreciated B)

Be carefull, the SNA format has been extended for the CPC+ range (I think It's now version 3) and winape defaults to this format...

Try other emulator, maybe Caprice32 http://www.caprice32.cybercube.com/files/cap32_361.exe or other ones

The trick is to wait the full load of the game, try if you can start it just with 1,2, fire, return or space (the keys mapped in CapriceGP2x). If not, try if there is a key for joystick selection and the with fire you can sart the game... If yes, then you have yo select joystick and when is ready for starting after pressing any GP2x friendly key, save the snapshot.

Also you cannot use multiload games, because you miss the DSK/CDT file... Is like starting a multiload game in a real CPC and throwing away de disc from the drive when you reach the menu.

But wait!! last "Beta-W.I.P." supports very basic DSK support (Just "insert DSK", type CAT, RUN"DISC", RUN"DISK" and |CPM) because is only for testing (and there is a nasty bug in the DSK menu when you get out from the DSK selector with a position bigger than 5 (From top to bottom)... It gets crazy, but the DSK is loaded, and when you exit he menu and return to it' it's fixed...)

Don't use CDT (tape) it's useless because of a bug which prevents CDT files to be correctly interpreted... :(

Enjoy CPC!

My own personal favorite "Old computer" is the Commodore64: I always thought of it as a Spectrum with better graphics :D since it has nearly all the same games except they're a lot "prettier":
Spectrum version
t_NebulusSpecm_ccd1a9f.gif

C64 Version:
t_NebulusC642m_0522164.gif

I started using the VICE gp2x port for my C64 emulation needs, but in the end I've changed over to Frodo almost exclusively, mainly because VICE has a really annoying pause every couple of seconds on many games and also because the virtual keyboard doesn't have the cursor keys (which are critical in many situations).

Some C64 Games I'd recommend are:
Snare
Aliens(US gold version)
Barbarian
Ghostbusters
Maniac Mansion
Microprose soccer
Saint Dragon
Toy Bizarre
BlockBusters

KaosOverride posted on Feb 19 2007 at 04:55 PM said:
Dizzyegg05 posted on Feb 13 2007 at 02:11 PM said:
i use winape for that and they never seem to work so any pointers will be very very appreciated B)

Be carefull, the SNA format has been extended for the CPC+ range (I think It's now version 3) and winape defaults to this format...

Try other emulator, maybe Caprice32 http://www.caprice32.cybercube.com/files/cap32_361.exe or other ones

The trick is to wait the full load of the game, try if you can start it just with 1,2, fire, return or space (the keys mapped in CapriceGP2x). If not, try if there is a key for joystick selection and the with fire you can sart the game... If yes, then you have yo select joystick and when is ready for starting after pressing any GP2x friendly key, save the snapshot.

Also you cannot use multiload games, because you miss the DSK/CDT file... Is like starting a multiload game in a real CPC and throwing away de disc from the drive when you reach the menu.

But wait!! last "Beta-W.I.P." supports very basic DSK support (Just "insert DSK", type CAT, RUN"DISC", RUN"DISK" and |CPM) because is only for testing (and there is a nasty bug in the DSK menu when you get out from the DSK selector with a position bigger than 5 (From top to bottom)... It gets crazy, but the DSK is loaded, and when you exit he menu and return to it' it's fixed...)

Don't use CDT (tape) it's useless because of a bug which prevents CDT files to be correctly interpreted... :(

Enjoy CPC!

Yeah thankyou , i tried the new beta version but ill hang on for a full release , cant wait!

Back