Shoulder Buttons And Emulators

Windy

Still Fresh
How do emulators deal with systems which use shoulder buttons such as PS1 and GBA given that the Pandora doesn't have these

I assume they are just mapped to the keyboard - how usable is this

A minor point but I am curious as to the best solution

The pandora has one set of shoulder buttons, L and R

No L2 or R2 though, but there is on the board if you want to add your own.

EDIT: :ph34r:

Windy said:
How do emulators deal with systems which use shoulder buttons such as PS1 and GBA given that the Pandora doesn't have these

I assume they are just mapped to the keyboard - how usable is this

A minor point but I am curious as to the best solution

... It does have shoulder buttons.

Edit: Darn ninjas. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
th_SilkBack.png

Attachments

• th_SilkBack.png
    th_SilkBack.png
    14 KB · Views: 99
Also, and I might be wrong on this one, R2 and L2 on Playstation games were only ever used for shortcuts, stuff that you just had to go through more menus with the other buttons. I only ever played RPGs on it though, so like I said, I might be wrong.

second exodous said:
Also, and I might be wrong on this one, R2 and L2 on Playstation games were only ever used for shortcuts, stuff that you just had to go through more menus with the other buttons. I only ever played RPGs on it though, so like I said, I might be wrong.

I wish. Most of the PSone library uses the L2 and R2 buttons. I can think of at least one game that uses them that you would need them, Castlevania Symphony of the Night. So is someone going to make an L2 R2 add on that is easy to add to Pandoras for a small fee?

mvickers03 said:
nope battle arena toshinden, tomb raider. abes oddesy to name a few
Wait, I'm wrong or correct? Nope didn't tell me much. If I'm wrong then for my defense I only played RPGs on the Playstation, FF7, Wild Arms, Lunar, and Breath of fire only used R2 and L2 for shot cuts, I never used them.

There were a TON of games that used the L and R2 buttons! I was also an RPG player (Xenogears, Persona 2, Tales of Destiny, Valkyrie Profile etc). But stick in a Syphon Filter game? MAAAN...your finger's are now entering a world of joypad gymnastics.

Oh yeah sorry. was just a quick reply I'm at work. those games require the extra buttons. there were still not enough buttons for abe's oddesy you had to use button combos when talking

Ah beans, really? I hoped that they were not used that much, kinda like C on the genesis. Oh well, with tons of keys on the Pandora L2 and R2 can be mapped somewhere else, not useful for fighting games, but ok for RPG's

Also, if you're mod crazy there are actually L2 and R2 on the board itself, you could mod triggers on the underside of the Pandora case somehow. I haven't played the Dreamcast much but I like the triggers it had, something like that is what I envision a L2 and R2 mod like. The triggers would also keep the Pandora propped up at an angle, but make it awkward to put in your pocket.

Yeah. it was quite awkward especially in think fast situations. It would be a cool mod but I would prefer my Pandora to be untouched, I'll probably go with you Second Exodus and map it to a key on the keyboard maybe bottom left and bottom right keys for easy access

second exodous said:
Ah beans, really? I hoped that they were not used that much, kinda like C on the genesis. Oh well, with tons of keys on the Pandora L2 and R2 can be mapped somewhere else, not useful for fighting games, but ok for RPG's

Also, if you're mod crazy there are actually L2 and R2 on the board itself, you could mod triggers on the underside of the Pandora case somehow. I haven't played the Dreamcast much but I like the triggers it had, something like that is what I envision a L2 and R2 mod like. The triggers would also keep the Pandora propped up at an angle, but make it awkward to put in your pocket.

I just plan to map it to the top-left and top-right keys on the number line. They're right next to all the other buttons, after all.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I just plan to map it to the top-left and top-right keys on the number line. They're right next to all the other buttons, after all.

-God Ginrai

Yeah, That makes more sense. Something like that. Hacking parts of my case away to make room for 2 more buttons seems a bit like using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut. Still I'm sure there will be people who impress us all with a super clean mod

mvickers03 said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Yeah, That makes more sense. Something like that. Hacking parts of my case away to make room for 2 more buttons seems a bit like using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut. Still I'm sure there will be people who impress us all with a super clean mod

Well, I also promised myself that if someone came out with a nice second shoulder mod that seemed relatively easy to reproduce, that I would do it. ;)

-God Ginrai

mvickers03 said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

If someone made a modified lower part of the case that was designed including R2/L2 I would definitely buy it (hint: someone with access to the original design perhaps :) ). I got quite a few PSX games I want to play. Besides more buttons to remap to whatever is needed (like Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Fn keys).

I am wondering though if the Pandora is maybe too thin to accommodate those extra L and R2 buttons comfortably. It may get a little cramped which may result in activating those triggers by accident when gaming. I'm only thinking about this as it's thinner than the DS Phat (and even a DS Phat would be awkward if it had extra triggers..).

My idea was to change the case so that there is enough room at the back for R2/L2. It would make Pandora a bit fatter and making the modified parts would take some effort though.

worzyl said:
I am wondering though if the Pandora is maybe too thin to accommodate those extra L and R2 buttons comfortably. It may get a little cramped which may result in activating those triggers by accident when gaming. I'm only thinking about this as it's thinner than the DS Phat (and even a DS Phat would be awkward if it had extra triggers..).
Yeah, a mod would add a lot of bulk onto the Pandora. Maybe if someone found a way to make them detachable somehow I would get them. The only reason you need them is for fighting game, or I would think. Just for combos and stuff, everything else could probably just map them to other keys.

Back