Second Shoulder Buttons

MrPoletski

Still Fresh
So...

How easy will it be to mod the pandora to have two shoulder buttons instead of one? (on either side)

Any chance (if there is such a thing as spare time) for a couple of close-up shots of the board where the buttons will be because IIRC a solder pad was being left there for the addition of extra shoulder buttons but it is not being used. I'm hoping added a second set of shoulder buttons will be a piece of cake, perhaps just a case of drilling an extra hole in the case and soldering on a switch whos head pokes out through said hole. After that you just need a button cover...

any thoughts?

Thats should be as much as needed. Maybe the drivers will need modding too, possibly (They might include support anyway since they are in the hardware).

Mr Poletski said:
Any chance (if there is such a thing as spare time) for a couple of close-up shots of the board where the buttons will be because IIRC a solder pad was being left there for the addition of extra shoulder buttons but it is not being used.

Yes That image is from the official blog from way back when. The board in that image should be close enough to production to remain accurate today. I believe we had confirmation in one thread or other that the 'R2 Spare' and 'L2 Spare' areas on either side of the board are, indeed, the solder pads you're looking for. Even if this image isn't quite accurate, they should be easy enough to identify once you have a board in front of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been considering the potential of a base structure of some sort that could slide on instead of the battery pack with some kind of contacts that could be set into the case or at least feed through the battery exit. it would increase the size of the console but it could be moulded to make a more comfortable hand grip as well as the extra buttons. not that its something i have any capacity to make but it would be a pretty neat addition and i dont see why it would be too tricky to do.

_Sterling said:
Mr Poletski said:
Any chance (if there is such a thing as spare time) for a couple of close-up shots of the board where the buttons will be because IIRC a solder pad was being left there for the addition of extra shoulder buttons but it is not being used.

Yes That image is from the official blog from way back when. The board in that image should be close enough to production to remain accurate today. I believe we had confirmation in one thread or other that the 'R2 Spare' and 'L2 Spare' areas on either side of the board are, indeed, the solder pads you're looking for. Even if this image isn't quite accurate, they should be easy enough to identify once you have a board in front of you.

Ah... but the pads are not at the rear of the unit, some internal wiring would need to be peformed to get the switch contacts to the solder pads. Not able to mount a microswitch onto the pads themselves.

Still, all that is really needed is a switch reccomendation.. what switches the current shoulder pads use?

With the amount of views I'm surprised so few have commented. It's a sweet idea to think of having a second set of shoulder buttons for better Playstation emulation.

Korlithiel said:
With the amount of views I'm surprised so few have commented. It's a sweet idea to think of having a second set of shoulder buttons for better Playstation emulation.

It might have something to do with the fact that the topic has already been discussed several times in the past.

Korlithiel said:

Pleng's right. There were pages of discussion about this very idea in the "Our New Machine" thread. That's why MWeston included the solder pads, because the Playstation purists were so adamant about 4 shoulder buttons, he put those in to make it up to them.

-God Ginrai

I don't think I would bother with this, but if I did, I might be tempted to see if the buttons would fit in the lid at the back. There's probably more space to fit them in, and when the case was open, they would be just about parallel with the existing ones. Just a thought.

a

Back