The Cases: What's Done And What's Next?

mali said:
I won't post it before I'm sure, have pictures and a tracking number. This number will be posted publicly so everyone can track those cases.

sorry f 'm lazy ploughing through the forums - who said that? it's certainly a well-meant nod to the community but please, PLEASE don't do this! once you have the tracking number you basically own the shipment. i don't know who is following the forums and i don't want to sound overly paranoid but a random clown with the tracking number can just call dhl and take the package. and i don't know how they react, when a single shipment is requested on an hourly basis by hundred different people all over the world. i think we'd be much better off if some few trustworthy forum junkies would be given the info and update the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's from ED, he posted it on the German boards. I agree, posting the tracking number doesn't make sense.

Edit:
Hier ist der Link
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=110432#p110432

The only thing i can't understand
why developers don't inform us about situation with cases

ED is preparing a blog post right now and you can have a glimpse at the current situation by checking the Community Blog :)

mali said:
ED is preparing a blog post right now and you can have a glimpse at the current situation by checking the Community Blog :)
I do it every hour except when sleep

(naw)mcx said:
svs-57 said:
mali said:
I do it every hour except when sleep
You're not doing it enough.
May be. But nothing change in "current status" since 1 Jan.

I read that cases was sent from China 15 Jan.
Today is 26 of Jan.
I want to know WHERE IS CASES

svs-57 said:
Today is 26 of Jan.

No the cases were not sent on the 15th. The cases will at best arrive thursday or friday.

Xenu said:
svs-57 said:
Today is 26 of Jan.

No the cases were not sent on the 15th. The cases will at best arrive thursday or friday.
I hope you mean 28 Jan. 2010 or 29 Jan 2010.

kmob said:
It increasingly seems that the decision to go with the current case supplier was ill advised. Yes from what we’ve been told it was considerably cheaper – but we seem now to be seeing why it was cheaper. We’re getting very little information from a company (the case company) that has all of the money up front (and thus no incentive for urgency), and frankly a level of casualness (look at the shipping and communication for examples) that is shocking.

The decision to use these people has cost the project many months of delays and no doubt customers too.

I hope it’s possible for the OP team to use this case (presuming we ever see it complete) for future products as this case design/delivery process leading to the “2 more months/weeks” platitude is at risk of becoming the epitaph for the project.

I do realise though, that this is all with the benefit of hindsight and that the OP team have successfully used these people before. So I’ll go back to waiting! :)

We've been faffing back and forth with the factory for nigh on half a year now. The whole reason for this faffing we're told is that OP are striving for perfection in the cases and that the factory has just has been uncooperative and slow to respond. I find it hard to believe that OP couldn't have been a bit more assertive and forceful in their demands and if so the factory wouldn't have faffed around for so long. Badger and pester them until they relent. If they don't understand English then go outside and grab someone who could speak Mandarin and get them to do it. It is unbelievable that anyone could live anywhere in this day and age and not know someone who is mates with someone who is Chinese.

The factory must be interested in finishing up this project as I cannot see how having to come back to it time and time again could benefit the overall through-put of the factory. No matter how cheap their labour I don't think it is cost effective for them to keep this project going for far longer. They just needed a massive boot up their backsides and OP haven't been man enough to do it. It has been seen that OP (Craigix) are only capable of insulting forum members in the past.

I will put my flame jacket on and put my head on the line by saying what others dare not say, but no matter how much many of you idolise OP they are to blame just as much as the factory. Many may say that past decisions cannot be changed now and that there is no point in attributing blame, but I'm gonna put half the blame on OP and with that I could finally relieve my pent up frustrations.

I believe that there are many who are annoyed with OP like me, but are scared of the flaming that would ensue if they dared to speak such blasphemy. Don't worry and speak your minds. I will bare the brunt of it all. :)

mali said:
I vote for letting the past be the past and hope for a better future.

I'm wondering how many more times you're going to have to say that :p

LuvClub said:
kmob said:
It increasingly seems that the decision to go with the current case supplier was ill advised. Yes from what we’ve been told it was considerably cheaper – but we seem now to be seeing why it was cheaper. We’re getting very little information from a company (the case company) that has all of the money up front (and thus no incentive for urgency), and frankly a level of casualness (look at the shipping and communication for examples) that is shocking.

The decision to use these people has cost the project many months of delays and no doubt customers too.

I hope it’s possible for the OP team to use this case (presuming we ever see it complete) for future products as this case design/delivery process leading to the “2 more months/weeks” platitude is at risk of becoming the epitaph for the project.

I do realise though, that this is all with the benefit of hindsight and that the OP team have successfully used these people before. So I’ll go back to waiting! :)

We've been faffing back and forth with the factory for nigh on half a year now. The whole reason for this faffing we're told is that OP are striving for perfection in the cases and that the factory has just has been uncooperative and slow to respond. I find it hard to believe that OP couldn't have been a bit more assertive and forceful in their demands and if so the factory wouldn't have faffed around for so long. Badger and pester them until they relent. If they don't understand English then go outside and grab someone who could speak Mandarin and get them to do it. It is unbelievable that anyone could live anywhere in this day and age and not know someone who is mates with someone who is Chinese.

The factory must be interested in finishing up this project as I cannot see how having to come back to it time and time again could benefit the overall through-put of the factory. No matter how cheap their labour I don't think it is cost effective for them to keep this project going for far longer. They just needed a massive boot up their backsides and OP haven't been man enough to do it. It has been seen that OP (Craigix) are only capable of insulting forum members in the past.

I will put my flame jacket on and put my head on the line by saying what others dare not say, but no matter how much many of you idolise OP they are to blame just as much as the factory. Many may say that past decisions cannot be changed now and that there is no point in attributing blame, but I'm gonna put half the blame on OP and with that I could finally relieve my pent up frustrations.

I believe that there are many who are annoyed with OP like me, but are scared of the flaming that would ensue if they dared to speak such blasphemy. Don't worry and speak your minds. I will bare the brunt of it all. :)
1) it doesnt work! and it doesnt work like that!, you will end up with nothing.
2) i do speak Mandarin and offered my services for free, anyway i expect that the team already have/had someone for that,
3) not every chinese speaks mandarin specially those outside continental china thats due to migration mainly from very poor places.
4) they said it once and ill repeat, they already paid for the whole works so what else can be used to push?
also the moulding factory said they wont ship another sample they know for sure OPT wont accept. so why waste the expected 15 case but instead get a
better one and send it ASAP.
5) have you ever been on a mould design or even near injection process? its not that plain simple, QC is based on a series of run and checked by hypothesis probability you have to check warm up units also batch change (brute material from new batchs).
6) im not a OPT defender but i would neither put blame on them about the moulds but maybe the lack of knowledge or expertise about international relations with china.

edit:

as i stated before im offering the service for free again, maybe for a skype call or any Voip based app, most of the issues ive confronted are due the lack of good english knowledge by the english translators on china. ever read a chinese manual?

DroneB Dev said:
1) it doesnt work! and it doesnt work like that!, you will end up with nothing.
2) i do speak Mandarin and offered my services for free, anyway i expect that the team already have/had someone for that,
3) not every chinese speaks mandarin specially those outside continental china thats due to migration mainly from very poor places.
4) they said it once and ill repeat, they already paid for the whole works so what else can be used to push?
also the moulding factory said they wont ship another sample they know for sure OPT wont accept. so why waste the expected 15 case but instead get a
better one and send it ASAP.
5) have you ever been on a mould design or even near injection process? its not that plain simple, QC is based on a series of run and checked by hypothesis probability you have to check warm up units also batch change (brute material from new batchs).
6) im not a OPT defender but i would neither put blame on them about the moulds but maybe the lack of knowledge or expertise about international relations with china.

edit:

as i stated before im offering the service for free again, maybe for a skype call or any Voip based app, most of the issues ive confronted are due the lack of good english knowledge by the english translators on china. ever read a chinese manual?

1)I believe it does work like that. I think the Chinese respect those who are willing to make the effort to find a Chinese liasion/agent to communicate with them instead of trying to having them do the work of trying to interpret English instructions. It may seem funny to westerners who believe in the "customer always being first", but if the service is provided within China they would expect instructions to be made in Chinese.
2)Well, if they did not take up your offer and have been having a hard time communicating with them then they deserve what they get.
3)Unlikely that there is not at least one person in the factory who can speak Mandarin and also of a decision making position as they still would need to communicate with others.
4)If the bargaining was aided by a Chinese person then they would not have taken the piss by asking for full payment.
5)I think it highly unlikely anything quoted as a few weeks could then take up to half a year, no matter how complex the procedure. The factory must have done some costing and would not have taken on the job even if there was the teeniest weeniest inkling that the job could take more than double the time never mind half a year. Unless we're saying that its just OP being unlucky again and the factory being supremely incompetent and the 1% chance that the moulds being massively more complicated than they thought would actually occur. Obviously the factory are just taking their time mostly because OP are just easy to pick on and because they believe the westerners OP do not deserve their respect.
6)Yes, like you I also blame them for the massive cock-up in the way they dealt with the Chinese.
Oh, BTW I'm also Chinese and speak Mandarin/Cantonese and have family in China, so do understand our culture.

Sphinxter said:
True today as it ever was, "Speed, Quality or Price, pick any two."
I pick quality and speed!

TLJRyan said:
Sphinxter said:
People are already complaining about the price, and you'd be happy withsomething more expensive? What, say $500?

BackAssward said:
TLJRyan said:
Sphinxter said:
People are already complaining about the price, and you'd be happy withsomething more expensive? What, say $500?
500$ would have been no problem one year ago. Though these days, no need for gory details, 500$ is a lot. Maybe after I get my tax return.

I'm the type of guy doesn't mind spending money on quality and speed, though.

Sorry, I was just speaking for myself. I know that picking quality and speed and ignoring cost would have been stupid.

LuvClub said:
1)I believe it does work like that. I think the Chinese respect those who are willing to make the effort to find a Chinese liasion/agent to communicate with them instead of trying to having them do the work of trying to interpret English instructions. It may seem funny to westerners who believe in the "customer always being first", but if the service is provided within China they would expect instructions to be made in Chinese.
2)Well, if they did not take up your offer and have been having a hard time communicating with them then they deserve what they get.
3)Unlikely that there is not at least one person in the factory who can speak Mandarin and also of a decision making position as they still would need to communicate with others.
4)If the bargaining was aided by a Chinese person then they would not have taken the piss by asking for full payment.
5)I think it highly unlikely anything quoted as a few weeks could then take up to half a year, no matter how complex the procedure. The factory must have done some costing and would not have taken on the job even if there was the teeniest weeniest inkling that the job could take more than double the time never mind half a year. Unless we're saying that its just OP being unlucky again and the factory being supremely incompetent and the 1% chance that the moulds being massively more complicated than they thought would actually occur. Obviously the factory are just taking their time mostly because OP are just easy to pick on and because they believe the westerners OP do not deserve their respect.
6)Yes, like you I also blame them for the massive cock-up in the way they dealt with the Chinese.
Oh, BTW I'm also Chinese and speak Mandarin/Cantonese and have family in China, so do understand our culture.

for the 1) i was talking about the moulding and pestering not the translator thing.
for the 2) it seems they dont make direct contact but thru Fatih.
on the 3) you took it wrong or maybe i should rephrase it. not every single people that knows more than one language means he can work as a translator
or at least not on the technical way, (have you read some chinese manuals? it seems google translator could have done a better job)
4) full payment is done! what does it have to do with a chinese or not aiding the process? im just saying they dont have much more options after that.

5) yes im sure they did some risk and cost calculations, but we are standing on the "now" and if it is a serious Co. they would rather add time to get a better quality instead of making more test runs, each one with additional costs (materials, machine time, freeze time, currency rates), i must say again test runs need minimal ammount in order to calibrate the mould after mounting.2
6)good to know theres more chinese around (i didnt born in china but my parents did) im just tired of waiting too but the "hate chinese products" is driving me insane.

Pleng said:
mali said:
I vote for letting the past be the past and hope for a better future.

I'm wondering how many more times you're going to have to say that :p
Hehe :D
I'm optimistic by nature ;)

Back