Offical Blog: When In Panic, Fear Or Doubt ...

Good god I want a Pandora so bad...
I just wish I could afford it.
Bills to pay :(

Maybe second run! Is there any news on when that could be? (I know they have to get the FIRST batch out first ;) I was just curious if they've said how long a wait there will be between?)

-MooSe

Darth_Moose said:

Maybe second run! Is there any news on when that could be? (I know they have to get the FIRST batch out first ;) I was just curious if they've said how long a wait there will be between?)

-MooSe

There should be about 6000 cases waiting for batch 2, I have no idea what else needs to be done but more boards. Craig have said that they will start working on batch 2 when batch 1 have shipped. I suspect preorders starting sometime after people have received their Pandoras, and expressed their joy of owning one. There should also be reviews popping up here and there. I have no idea how long you would have to wait for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awakening said:
Darth_Moose said:

-MooSe

There should be about 6000 cases waiting for batch 2, I have no idea what else needs to be done but more boards. Craig have said that they will start working on batch 2 when batch 1 have shipped. I suspect preorders starting sometime after people have received their Pandoras, and expressed their joy of owning one. There should also be reviews popping up here and there. I have no idea how long you would have to wait for one.

More SOC's and other components to put on the boards, and of course more screens and speakers. Possibly more batteries? More nubs, I think.

Monk said:
Awakening said:
Darth_Moose said:

-MooSe

More SOC's and other components to put on the boards, and of course more screens and speakers. Possibly more batteries? More nubs, I think.

they need more nubs mostly and they stated that they have a huge lead time, around 26weeks if memory serve. it is unclear to me if they already ordered some more through...

Darth_Moose said:

-MooSe
I'm waiting for the second batch, too. They said that they will have a preorder window with cut-off date and they will start as soon as the first batch is done and shipping.
craigix said:
We know we will lose sales because we won't be able to meet the instant supply some people want. But we will start taking orders for Batch2 as soon as batch1 is done and shipping.

We are working on making the wait as low as possible though.

There are certain lead times in the way, so I think we'll have to wait a few months. Personally, I'm hoping for summer 2010.

Anyone notice we're looking at two months again? How does this infinite regression of two months within two months come to be? Could a mathematician help us understand this phenomenon? Could be it generalized into some kind of Pandora's Law that the default estimate to get anything whose production involves n parties done in the present world is two months? Is it idiosyncratic to globalization, capitalism, or industrialization? Can we write this confusing phenomenon as a simple, beautiful formula somehow? Let's get the research going. You all know when that'll yield fruit.

fiori_musicali said:
Anyone notice we're looking at two months again? How does this infinite regression of two months within two months come to be?

until MWeston runs out of kitten...

Paradox posted on 07 August 2007 - 02:32 AM said:
December isn't a deadline, it is just a nice goal we have, as I've said we won't release until it is ready and working exactly as we want it. We would not ever repeat GPHs 1st edition madness.

fiori_musicali said:
Anyone notice we're looking at two months again? How does this infinite regression of two months within two months come to be? Could a mathematician help us understand this phenomenon? Could be it generalized into some kind of Pandora's Law that the default estimate to get anything whose production involves n parties done in the present world is two months? Is it idiosyncratic to globalization, capitalism, or industrialization? Can we write this confusing phenomenon as a simple, beautiful formula somehow? Let's get the research going. You all know when that'll yield fruit.
From a philosophical point of view, we would just have to stop giving estimates to break that two months timewarp :D

it tech said:
When it gets closer to the time for shipping the cases, maybe we can all chip in a little as it was suggested the other day, if need be to help with the shipping costs.

Why on earth do so many people keep suggesting that we throw more money in the pot? I've paid my cash already, over 15 months ago.

fiori_musicali said:

It's down to lack of information and people like the Chinese factory letting us down. It's also partly due to vague postings on the forum and the continual hum of random guesswork within the forum.

Hopefully with the new method OP team has for just posting up emails from the suppliers we will see that we are now out of the 'two month' cycle. I still think it's safer to say we will get them in 4 months or so.

gibberish said:
craig was "hopeful" we'd have them in december 2007. yes thats right, 2007.
and he's been "hopeful" we'd have them every 2 months since then.
Sbock attempted that troll, but EvilDragon pretty much shot him down. They were talking about a new handheld back in 2007, but it wasn't Pandora.

http://www.gp32x.de...post__p__794231

Then:

http://www.gp32x.de...post__p__795388

We didn't even pay for our Pandoras until October 2008. Any attempt to pin them to an earlier date is just being dramatic. There are 15 good months to complain about, isn't that enough? :p

I believe the first estimated releasedate was dec 2008 right?

Does anyone remember how delayed the PS3 was before they finally shipped? I remember they didn't have a lot of units and there wasn't a lot of games for it. Of course they had to rush it thanks to the 360. Anyway, at least we've had devs like Pickle and others working with devkits for quite some time now.

Awakening said:
Does anyone remember how delayed the PS3 was before they finally shipped?

Comparisons with any Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/Acme/SuperawesomeCo product delays aren't fair, you don't pay them up front, so there's no underlying relationship or obligation on any side until the day you go buy one.

fiori_musicali said:

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Quick Java algorithm (should work):
Code:
\\date is in milliseconds since Unix epoch
public Long pandoraReleaseDate(Long date){
Date release=new Date(date);
System.out.println("The Pandora will be released on "+release);
return pandoraReleaseDate(date+5184000000);}

Sbock attempted that troll, but EvilDragon pretty much shot him down.

Ah yes, I see. So it's not allowed to speak out facts anymore in this forum? I can't believe it. A console (not yet christened "Pandora") was announced in the year 2007 from Craig and ED. That's a fact. I don't know why ED is splitting hairs now. Where is the problem? I was born 1970. I can tell everybody I'm 29 years old, but is this true?
One goal of this handheld was according to EvilDragon to bring good Amiga emulation (with keyboard) to the people.
I have some PM here from ED that can prove this, but my parents teach me how to behave so I will not post/quote them here.
Very interesting, I think the nerves of the Pandora team are tensely.

I'm really shocked now. What happed to gp32x.de? I can't believe this. I always thought ED (and you Gruso/Chip) where nice and fair people. You call me a troll? I never attacked the Pandora. OK. I call you fanboy. End of discussion. One more victim for my ignore list...

[Edit:] Typos.

Sry for off topic, but could we all get a grip and don´t start with this nonesense?
I don´t think that sbock even came near troling and I am pretty sure it is just a misunderstanding :)
So lets focus on the pandora :)

greendots said:
What would a realistic shipping date at this point; random dates have been thrown around by lots of people (non-devs). So Craigix or MWeston, what is realistic?

let's see... we have january 7, so...

march 7. yeah. :)

sbock said:
Ah yes, I see. So it's not allowed to speak out facts anymore in this forum? I can't believe it. A console (not yet christened "Pandora") was announced in the year 2007 from Craig and ED. That's a fact. I don't know why ED is splitting hairs now. Where is the problem? I was born 1970. I can tell everybody I'm 29 years old, but is this true?
3 years ago I bought an axe. It was a good axe. 2 years ago the handle split, so I got a new one, but kept the same head. 1 year ago the head chipped and couldn't be sharpened, so I kept the handle but replaced the head. How old is the axe? You're statement suggests you would think it is 3 years old, but it is an entirely different axe from what it was then. Others would say it is as old as the oldest part of it, so 2 years. Some might say it became new when the last piece of the old was replaced, so only 1 year. Your fact is meaningless in the face of objective idealism.

WizardStan said:
sbock said:
3 years ago I bought an axe. It was a good axe. 2 years ago the handle split, so I got a new one, but kept the same head. 1 year ago the head chipped and couldn't be sharpened, so I kept the handle but replaced the head. How old is the axe? You're statement suggests you would think it is 3 years old, but it is an entirely different axe from what it was then. Others would say it is as old as the oldest part of it, so 2 years. Some might say it became new when the last piece of the old was replaced, so only 1 year. Your fact is meaningless in the face of objective idealism.

Ah yes. I understand. And people who say the axe is 3 years old are called trolls? That's quite easy...

Back