The Cases: What's Done And What's Next?

Mjlink said:
We actually need to think Feb 7th onward in regard to the holiday? If the 7th is normally a day off, then it would be a good time to head home? Or soon thereafter, especially if factories are liberal with when you leave.
Major Chinese holidays seem to be about two weeks long: one week before the actual holiday to make the long and arduous trek home to be with your family, and another week to return to your place of employment. As I understand it, this was the tradition dating back from long ago when sons would actually go a long way to seek their fortune, or what have you. Not sure if it still applies in today's society, or if I even got the original reason right or am just pulling facts out of my rectal region.

Last edited by a moderator:
you gotta be kidding me.. since my order is near the back looks like i'm waiting until the bloody chinks get back to work. (it's not like they do any anyway)

Member has been warned for this post.

WizardStan said:
Major Chinese holidays seem to be about two weeks long: one week before the actual holiday to make the long and arduous trek home to be with your family, and another week to return to your place of employment. As I understand it, this was the tradition dating back from long ago when sons would actually go a long way to seek their fortune, or what have you. Not sure if it still applies in today's society, or if I even got the original reason right or am just pulling facts out of my rectal region.
This is awesome. We get held up because "the Chinese" (lol) have to trek 7 days and 7 days again.

Paradox said:
you gotta be kidding me.. since my order is near the back looks like i'm waiting until the bloody chinks get back to work. (it's not like they do any anyway)

Ya know, you're a real asshole..

So ontopic now we are looking a thursday or friday for some delicious pictures
static.gif
and maybe some green light
cheerlie-groen.gif
hopefully

And here I was, hoping to have it in my hands for my next shitty work trip to London on the 15th, there's just no point in even entertaining the idea

Heres an important question I hope a member of the team can answer -

Once the mould iterations are complete - who owns the final CNC information for the mould blocks, as well as the final physical injection mould blocks themselves?

I hope and pray that you had to the foresite to build this into your contract with the mould company - as it would seem prudent to get them back from these cowboys for safekeeping (and future outsourcing to a more reputable company) once the contracted terms are completed (i.e. 10,000 cases are delivered) otherwise you may never get a "third" batch out of the door.

It increasingly seems that the decision to go with the current case supplier was ill advised. Yes from what we’ve been told it was considerably cheaper – but we seem now to be seeing why it was cheaper. We’re getting very little information from a company (the case company) that has all of the money up front (and thus no incentive for urgency), and frankly a level of casualness (look at the shipping and communication for examples) that is shocking.

The decision to use these people has cost the project many months of delays and no doubt customers too.

I hope it’s possible for the OP team to use this case (presuming we ever see it complete) for future products as this case design/delivery process leading to the “2 more months/weeks” platitude is at risk of becoming the epitaph for the project.

I do realise though, that this is all with the benefit of hindsight and that the OP team have successfully used these people before. So I’ll go back to waiting! :)

We had this dicussion before ;)
In _my_ humble opinion it would be best to let the mould factory crank out cases till the moulds melt. It doesn't make sense to move the moulds elsewhere when they are finalized.

I think some of you should turn down the Chinese hate a bit. You have been spying through a keyhole and think you are experts in mould making, now.
Much blah blah, but no substance.

mali said:
In _my_ humble opinion it would be best to let the mould factory crank out cases till the moulds melt. It doesn't make sense to move the moulds elsewhere when they are finalized.

I think some of you should turn down the Chinese hate a bit. You have been spying through a keyhole and think you are experts in mould making, now.

Well actually... I am an expert. Joking. I have just started an apprenticeship in plastic fabrication 2 WEEKS TM ago. I have no idea about mould making as our company doesn't do injection moulding. Most injection moulding is done in China. I don't think it should take as long as it's taken them. Then again, it is china, it's not as if their is an industry standard to meet. I can't imagine they'd even comply with ISO 9001. I'm not really criticizing either, but you do have to face the obvious, China has become a terrible place, especially for those living there. I believe in keeping jobs local, but obviously that costs too much, but that's only because of greedy pricks setting up factories in China. Anyway, the whole situation is beyond control now.

shunun said:
mali said:

Well actually... I am an expert. Joking. I have just started an apprenticeship in plastic fabrication 2 WEEKS TM ago. I have no idea about mould making as our company doesn't do injection moulding. Most injection moulding is done in China. I don't think it should take as long as it's taken them. Then again, it is china, it's not as if their is an industry standard to meet. I can't imagine they'd even comply with ISO 9001. I'm not really criticizing either, but you do have to face the obvious, China has become a terrible place, especially for those living there. I believe in keeping jobs local, but obviously that costs too much, but that's only because of greedy pricks setting up factories in China. Anyway, the whole situation is beyond control now.
great comment Mali and.

and to shunun, you cannot compare and say something about something you barely know you just get the media reports in the middle of so many bla bla bla.

i can state that china is way better than say 20 years ago? and maybe they where actually much more advanced on the past old times?

maybe its terrible for you that i dont know lived on your own safe home who knows what, but it happens that
a lot of chinese and even "non Asian" is going for living on china so, why they would do such a thing if it was becoming so bad huh?

also you cannot visit a place in china and say "i know china" china is so large you dont know everything

by the way im not a mould expert i've just seen too much of the process, the issues, the production, the human error and the making of moulds.
you can ask me bout injecting or about plastic products but i can only say my answers are based on my experience over 9 years now of jobs with plastic Co.
EDIT: added some things and fixed SOME spelling

I've worked in a mould factory. It doesn't make me an expert though, either ;)
It's true, the situation is beyond the point of return, so the only direction viable to go is forward :)

Going with another mould company has been under forum discussion since, well forever! I've said it before also, we are well past the point of changing mould companies at this point(to many reasons to mention). I'm sure it would be in Openpandoras best interest to find out what the actual problem was, and then make an informed decision in regards to cases 10,000-?

After all is said and done, they will have at least 4-6 months before they will need anymore cases. Maybe even longer if batch 2 is only 4000 units. So that gives this current mould company a really long time to get there shit together. The question should be, do "WE" really want to reward poor service with future business. I personally say NO! I really believe future sales can be greatly improved, if Openpandora decides to go larger. 4000 units could have been sold a year ago easy if this unit would have been released on time. They could actually be on unit 20,000+ if not for several delays.

So hopefully the team is actually making these tough choices right now, so they don't get caught with there pants down in the future. The only way we can ever see a Pandora 2, or similar device, is if this device is a financialy viable success! That doesn't mean sales in the millions, and if the team is true to there previous statements of being debt free, I believe they are well ahead of the game for more Pandora's as well as any future projects! I can only hope that in the future, any devices aren't delayed due to "VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE"! <_<

Chris

I don't think China has gotten better,

20 years ago China was not the worlds biggest polluter, nor had the highest carbon emissions. I really think things are going to far. Sure, the economy has gotten better, that would explain why other asians want to live in China, they hope for a better standard of living and higher wages etc. I refuse to believe that China produces quality products. Nearly EVERY Chinese made product with 1 or more moving parts that I have EVER bought has either broken after 5 or less years or has been just a pathetic, flimsy, useless product in general. This may not include all electronic appliances.. BUT I mean shit, the first two GP2X f-200 consoles i bought had defects and i had to return. I know it's not china's fault, I'm not blaming the county anyway. Industrial china is a product of consumerism and the western ideology in general. And now it's putting Australian's and probably American's Etc OUT OF WORK.

I refuse to believe anything else, sorry DroneB Dev, but nothing you say is going to change my views. The truth is, OP SHOULD be able to get those cases made wherever they want, but they can't do that anymore because anywhere besides china is TOO expensive.

These cases better be Fucken good! Im sick and tired of waiting for something that could and should be done by now (IF there weren't so many greedy sons of a bitches out there).

Back