Old DOS shooter.. anyone tried it?

andyhamer

After reading a recent article about forgotten/under appreciated DOS games that mentioned a title that i had long since forgotten about and that a friend of mine used to own back in the day: (Chasm - The Rift) i used to enjoy this immensely (strategic dismemberment.. what's not to like?) i'm wondering if anyone here has tried this, or wouldn't mind trying it & reporting back.. i have major issues configuring and getting anything to run properly in Dosbox (and believe me i have tried)

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Gy3JwkWfs&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Also, you may want to change the thread title.

I actually own this game, have to dig it out to check it out.. but my guess this would stress out dosbox.

That is disturbingly good for the era, and makes me seriously wonder why it didn't get more notice. It's very technically advantageous over the likes of Duke3D and System Shock without much additional overhead, by the looks of it.

Haven't tested it, but I can guess from the requirements it lists (486DX4@100Mhz) that it isn't going to run, not by a long shot. Sorry.

Dosbox can barely run xwing with it's extremely simple non-textured polygons, it'll have kittens if you tried to run this chappy. This is a quake mod though isn't it? Do we have a quake launcher that could run this?

This is not a quakemod. I remember being able to run this game on my 486 but not Quake. My friend could play Quake because they had pentium, but all I got was this... The monsters are based on polygons, but I think that the levels isnt really 3d. They are more like Doom where the floor and ceiling is raised and lowered in order to fool you in beliving its 3d. Its an enginge that I would suggest is somewhere between Doom and Quake.

Interesting, I totally missed this one the first time around but it looks great.

They are more like Doom where the floor and ceiling is raised and lowered in order to fool you in beliving its 3d. Its an enginge that I would suggest is somewhere between Doom and Quake.
More like Duke 3D than Doom it looks like. The engine is apparently capable of full 3D but is limited by the fact that you can't place zones on top of each other, which is more akin to how Duke worked.

Back