Old nubs and refurbished boards

I would like to receive a pandora with a refurbished board.

• Total voters

Yannick

I better start with explaining my thought process:

Production is currently halted, waiting for *new nubs*

I assume: OPT by now has a stash of RMAed boards waiting for repairs => *new nubs*

I assume: there is still a stock of *old nubs* that won't be used because the failure rate is too high

I propose a one-nub like program for units built with refurbished boards.

With the following rules:

Nub related problems are not covered by warranty.

I will wait until after batch 2 is completed to send my unit back for *new nub* repairs and i will pay for it because my nubs aren't covered by warranty.

I don't mind paying a little something extra for the overhead of organising this program.

Why would i like to do this?

Even tough i expect to be among the first to receive a unit with new-nubs, I believe i would be perfectly happy with a pandora as they have been shipping until now. I also consider this some sort of support for the project, as this makes financial sense for OPT. (as it stands these boards need to be repaired with a loss)

This is just an idea, posting it to see if more people think about this the way i do.

If interest is high enough maybe another spin of boards with *old nubs* can be made.

If you wish to wait for a regular fully covered with warranty unit, your opinion is valued but not the subject of this thread.

as for me, i dont mind about having a unit with the "old nubs". look at EDs pandora, the nubs are still functioning...

the "old nubs" will be weaker than the new ones, but i still think that they will still be useable. we just need to take care of them a bit more.

and also, i plan to abuse the touchscreen more than the nubs. and i also dont mind paying a little more to help support a such wonderful project. ^_^

so waddya think? >.<

EDIT: its not that i dont care about the quality of the nubs for the whole production. its just that im contented having a pandora with the old nubs. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They did that. 150 people supposedly got one and no nub versions as incentive to skip the queue and get theirs early. There probably aren't any boards waiting for nubs in the UK that can just be assembled with bad nubs, else they would have included them in the "skip the queue" incentives earlier. I imagine they could call down to the Texas factory and tell them to just put a bunch of the old nubs on to make more potential one or no nub versions, but is it worth it? I would say no.

They did that. 150 people supposedly got one and no nub versions as incentive to skip the queue and get theirs early.

150? I was under the impression that one-nubbers were built from the untested nubs and that it was at most 20-30 units.

Unfortunatly they were sold out before i convinced myself i wanted one.

I assumed all tested nub units worked when they where assembled, but they stopped producing them because the RMA rate was too high. I never heard about one-nubber's being sold/build from RMAed tested nub boards.

I understood this:

of the first 400 boards, with untested nubs, 150-200 boards had a faulty nub, they were sold as one-nubbers (indeed much more then i thought)

They have 100 boards that were sold as working units, meaning 2 working nubs, but were RMAed for nub reasons, those boards are waiting for new nubs/repairs in texas, so they can be sold as new boards.

This just confirmes that there are boards available that do not meet the quality standards for the warranty. I am just saying, I'd like to use such a board in my unit until proper boards are readily available and i would pay any extra handling costs to make this work.

This just confirmes that there are boards available that do not meet the quality standards for the warranty. I am just saying, I'd like to use such a board in my unit until proper boards are readily available and i would pay any extra handling costs to make this work.

yeah. same here. i dont mind paying extra to make this work. ;)

Yannick, maybe we can rename the choices "Yes, I don't care for nub quality, I want my pandora now" and "No, I waited 2 years, I can wait some longer" to "contented with the old nubs" and "want the new nubs"? :)

one nubber here (i was in position +3000)

the right one didnt work pretty well, but after moving it a bit, the calibration started working.

seriously, I do not use right nubber at all. ever the left one (working 100%), is dificult to use as a mouse. and for games, I only used left nub to play N64, and the d-pad works also fine for that

I didnt find an application/game where to use both nubs at same time, and even so, I prefer a mouse (like in quake3). maybe gridwars2... and in that case, I will use a ps3 pad or something

you guys give too much importance to the nub thing

one nubber here (i was in position +3000)

the right one didnt work pretty well, but after moving it a bit, the calibration started working.

seriously, I do not use right nubber at all. ever the left one (working 100%), is dificult to use as a mouse. and for games, I only used left nub to play N64, and the d-pad works also fine for that

I didnt find an application/game where to use both nubs at same time, and even so, I prefer a mouse (like in quake3). maybe gridwars2... and in that case, I will use a ps3 pad or something

to each their own...

but quake isn't the only fps that will come out, and I would like to be able to play them all correctly when they come out

on the priority list the nubs are the least of my concerns, and I would have bought the pandora without nubs at all..

that being said.. since they have them... and i've waited 2+ years... i want exactly what I purchaed and everything that was advertised at a minimum

to expect anything less would be shorting myself

well it is important. after all, it is a part of the pandora. however, i propose a "one nubber" like program for people who are contented with the old nubs, like people wanting to abuse the touchscreen more. and we can also help opt this way for those old nubs will not go to waste. ^_^

so waddya think guys?? :D

It might work, but the cost of replacing nubs is probably quite high in terms of both time and the risk of destroying a board. Depends how many people want a no-nubber at the original price (with the option of paying later to get if fixed). Anything else leaves the team out of pocket overall (since getting the existing boards fixed should come from the Nub Co).

Can I ask a stupid question at this time? The orignal nubs, ie the ones which failed big time, were all taken back by the nub company and retested, right? So in that case, there's a stock of nubs there, which still stand a chance of failing even though they've been tested? Granted they won't be of as high quality as these upcoming super-nubs, when they get the manufacturing issues ironed out, but most of them must surely still be good any not likely to fail? It seems like the current general viewpoint is that all the other nubs are effectively useless?

It seems like the current general viewpoint is that all the other nubs are effectively useless?
I don't believe that. The new nubs may be better, but that doesn't mean the old ones are necessarily bad. It may be the case that even the ones that don't start out bad, and don't fail after only a few months, will still fail after a year, but we won't know that for sure until we get there. Maybe most of the old nubs are fine and will survive for years, just too much variance in tolerance caused a large number of them to fail. Hopefully they don't just start failing en mass before a reasonable time has elapsed, else OPT will be out a fair bit for RMAs.

I don't believe that. The new nubs may be better, but that doesn't mean the old ones are necessarily bad. It may be the case that even the ones that don't start out bad, and don't fail after only a few months, will still fail after a year, but we won't know that for sure until we get there. Maybe most of the old nubs are fine and will survive for years, just too much variance in tolerance caused a large number of them to fail. Hopefully they don't just start failing en mass before a reasonable time has elapsed, else OPT will be out a fair bit for RMAs.

Should have clarified, meant to say that it seemed like the current opinion on the forums especially was that the current nubs were of very poor quality. Hopefully my replacement Padnora (not sent back for a nub issue) should be shipped tomorrow, so it'll definitely have the current generation of nubs on it!

The new nubs may be better, but that doesn't mean the old ones are necessarily bad.

thats right! and this is the reason why we propose a "old-nubber" program.

they could sell units with the old nubs to people that are contented with it (ie people intending to abuse the touchscreen more). that way the old nubs in the storage of opt will not go to waste. :D

of course, nub problems will not be covered by the warranty if we do this...

but personally, i wont mind paying an extra to replace my old nubs with the new ones when the production is going smoothly. ;)

i have asked ED about it and he said that it can be possible, provided that there are many people who wants to do it too. ^_^

thats right! and this is the reason why we propose a "old-nubber" program.

they could sell units with the old nubs to people that are contented with it (ie people intending to abuse the touchscreen more). that way the old nubs in the storage of opt will not go to waste. :D
The other thing we're not considering: what is OPT expected to do with the old nubs? They have 8000 of the things, or so I understood, but the nub factory realized they blew it and are making them new ones, presumably at their own expense. Is OPT then even allowed to keep those original bad nubs? Or is part of the new nubs being that they'll take back the old ones in the hopes of finding a way to salvage or recycle them to recoup losses?

The other thing we're not considering: what is OPT expected to do with the old nubs? They have 8000 of the things, or so I understood, but the nub factory realized they blew it and are making them new ones, presumably at their own expense. Is OPT then even allowed to keep those original bad nubs? Or is part of the new nubs being that they'll take back the old ones in the hopes of finding a way to salvage or recycle them to recoup losses?

well, i know opt keeping the old nubs... but im not sure if they will have to return them... only ED can answer that question... :)

ED said here that "We don't have any nubs (well, except for the old ones we won't use anymore)"... ;)

maybe opt can ask people if they want the new nubs or if they can live with the old ones? this way the old nubs will not go to waste and the people who does not intend to abuse the nubs will be happy... ;)

EDIT:if OPT has some units that has the old nubs lying around there i would like to have that instead... :D

if not, well, i'll just wait. ^_^

Back