On the cromulency of pedancy and other questions of English languacy, a quest for our common joy and enlightenment.

"Until" also means a termination. Aka ship as many as possible until Christmas means they stop at Christmas. "By" means continuous but says nothing about a termination at Christmas.

Either way we know what he means.
However, until doesn't mean a permanent termination, it could be just a break.

As an American English only speaker, it actually made perfect sense to me, as Christmas is a "break time". So as a Indiana raised American, I took it as he was going to work to push out as many as he can before Christmas, but then take a break, because its Christmas. Where as if he had said "by" it doesn't imply a break, so he might or might not be working through Christmas, but wanted to let us know he was working hard to get pyras to us before then.

This just shows how bad English is as a "trade" language. Not only is English a weird ass amalgamation, it is a "living" language, leading to tons of regional dialects, and evolving terminology.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

pedancy is not a word
It is now. :)

There is no 'Académie Française' for English: dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive, so if enough people use the term pedancy instead of pedantry, it becomes a perfectly cromulent word. That said, if your intent is to communicate efficiently, it behooves one to use words in the way that is usually most commonly accepted, or at least words within the gambit* ambit of acceptable usual variations.

We should, perhaps have a separate English Language thread to which we can move off-topic sub-discussions like these. I find them interesting, but I know not everyone does.

*OK, so where is the embarrassed emoticon...here it is: :$. I used gambit, when it should have been ambit. Apologies.

Last edited:
We should, perhaps have a separate English Language thread to which we can move off-topic sub-discussions like these. I find them interesting, but I know not everyone does.

Good idea. Just put "On the cromulency of pedancy and other questions of English languacy, a quest for our common joy and enlightenment." as the title of the thread.

Aber wenn deutsche die englisch schreiben Probleme machen, warum schreibt dann keiner nur in deutsch?? Problem gelöst ^^
But when Germans that write In English tends to make issues, why ditnt write everyone in German?? Issue solved ^^

Send from something, i guess ^^

Because only the top 3 languages matter, the rest are just regional things: English, Chinesse and Spanish are real languages, the rest are useless.

Yes, if going back. although I'm not sure how much old Norse there is in English, although it surely has an influence in Danish and over Scandinavia. But this was about going forward. I'm not sure how French Guiana would feel about that, given they mainly speak a form of French creole, but I'm sure he allows outliers provided they all agree to speak the same language to each other.

Yes, if going back. although I'm not sure how much old Norse there is in English, although it surely has an influence in Danish and over Scandinavia. But this was about going forward. I'm not sure how French Guiana would feel about that, given they mainly speak a form of French creole, but I'm sure he allows outliers provided they all agree to speak the same language to each other.
Well the Normans were technically “Norse Men” but also, Icelandic has hardly changed and those who can read it can also read Olde English with ease.

Not just going back but going forward too; it is a lot easier to understand many words in English, the meaning of which you might not fully appreciate without first learning their roots, if you have first learned Ancient Greek and Latin.

Last edited:
Because only the top 3 languages matter, the rest are just regional things: English, Chinesse and Spanish are real languages, the rest are useless.

Those are not the top 3 languages, the top 3 languages are:

Latin, mathematics and music.

Period.

How come Latin first?

Easy, because it's the language of Maximus Decimus Meridius and obviously "Non ducor duco"

Unfortunately nowadays monney, flashballs and kickin' seem to be used more often than love, hugs and smiles :-#

Well, this is a international community, and in „The Da Vinci Code“ Dan Brown wrote that the old Language of the Scientific Society was English to be diverent to the Latin of the Church, I think whe should use English..

I wonder how many Dan Brown Books I can finish until the Order Mails start,
Im at Page 5337 of the Lost Symbol
According to my kindle it’s 6:30 until the end of the book

Send from something, i guess ^^
As this is a thread on the pedantry of English language and in the intrest of helping and not critising , may i point out a few minor mistakes ?
The word for a group of people is WE not WHE.
The word BEFORE instead of UNTIL in the context of "how many books can read BEFORE the order mails start."
Diferent not diverent.
please dont take this as criticism just helpful advise. I only know two languages , English and Australian...i did French in school but have long since forgotton most of it.

pedantry of English language

I wish I could say I intended the irony when I wrote "pedancy," but I'm happy to have been corrected.

I feel like I can be more tolerant when my (native english speaking) colleagues mistake "their" from "there" or "they're", or when they write "should of" rather than "should have."

At least, I'd like to feel so...

As this is a thread on the pedantry of the English language and in the interest of helping but not criticising, may I point out a few minor mistakes?
The word for a group of people is WE, not WHE.
The word BEFORE, instead of UNTIL, in the context of "how many books can I read BEFORE the order mails start?"
Different, not diverent.
Please dont take this as criticism, just helpful advice. I only know two languages: English and Australian. I did French in school but have long since forgotten most of it.
Just a few corrections in the name of pedantry ;):)

Last edited:
I feel like I can be more tolerant when my (native english speaking) colleagues mistake "their" from "there" or "they're"
Oh god, I find it so hard these days to write the correct one of these out first time these days. I'm not sure what went wrong, I never used to have to think about it, but these days it seems I type out the wrong one first time round most of the time.

Back