On Willow...

I only use that on level 1 to max out the points as it's so easy. If I get more confident with the wagon I'll probably do the same thing on level 2, but not at the moment. I'm a long way from attempting a level 3 speed run, but a lot of it is quite fast paced anyway.

Level 2's harder to speed run, since you do need to go up both mountains to get to the exit point, plus you can't very well run away from the archers. And I think the wagon time is fixed, but I may be wrong.

You're right, but I could definitely do it a lot quicker if I wanted to. I've got a feeling that the wagon stops after you've killed a certain number of enemies, but I guess that's pretty much the same thing as being timed.

Looking at the video, it does the same thing as the first level boss prelude - once you've got to a certain point the remaining enemies just spontaneously combust. The sky goes redder towards the end - though that may be based on time, not sure. Like you say, it's kind of academic since you can't allow the enemies to hang around any longer than you have to anyway.

I hadn't noticed the sky, will have look out for that. Some kind of indicator as to how much further/longer you have to go would be good!

What frustrates me most on the wagon is when you get an archer that sits just out of hitting distance. You can't reach him and you don't have time to charge up and fire at him, so he's free to shoot arrows in as he pleases. Especially annoying if they're flaming arrows :angry:

I had a few goes at Willow today, so I think I'll join the score competition also.

As many people learned techniques for playing arcade games by watching other people play, especially if they were really good ( at least in our local arcade ), the next best thing is to watch someone on yourube playing it.

Here's someone playing Willow once around...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LumZP0rpoDM

I've made it to horse cart on level 2 with just one credit so far, hopefully I'll improve and be able to post a score in the next few days.

Many thanks to those responsible for setting up the competition, having 2 games running at once is a great idea!
Mal

welcome to league! The cart is tough, the way I get through it is by killing the birds as fast as possible. It seems like as long as you kill the birds fast, not as many archers show up for some reason.

remember that you get points for posting any score even if it's not a top score. no score posted equals no points. oh and add a nomination or 2 to the nominations list if you know of any games you want to play in the league.

Not terribly interested in posting scores (I can get to the cart level on Willow on about three credits!) but I'm having a blast with games. I'll be following this very closely :)

D.

If you post a score, that means you're allowed to nominate games so you can influence what games to play.

Plus I need more people who are worse than me at Willow to make my own score look good!

Either way, glad you're having fun :)

Dunny .. post a score, surely you can't be as bad as I am ;) (I haven't had the time to refine or play thorugh many times, bu I hope to on future rounds .. and I just naturally stink. I'm an arcade collector, emu author, old school gamer ... not because I'm any good, but I have my fun ;)

Submitting a score gets you the 20point minimum in league points, which is something, and we can always compete amongst the stinkers ;)

jeff

I've read the rules and the FAQ - I'm assuming that you get one credit on arcade games? I mean, I could probably finish Willow with a few quid in virtual coins ;-)

So yes, I'll play tonight and submit scores.

D.

Yes. It depends on the game we're playing and the scoring system we've decided to use, but in the case of Willow, it's high score on one credit (i.e. no continues).

On Willow, I believe it's also the setting where you start with 2 lives, and 3 energy bars only ( Normal difficulty ).

Can someone confirm this?
Mal

For all games, we will always use 'normal'/standard/default/recommended settings. (Though of course some games can vary by region.. a european PAL 50hz game cudl vary from a 60hz cousin, or have different default settings.)

jeff

I try to find out of different versions of games have different difficulties (e.g. Japanese Contra Hard Corps is easier than US/EU, and it outlawed in the nest round). I'd say default settings/DIPs, one credit unless otherwise specified.

FYI Willow's default settings are as you said; two lives, three health, 2:99 on the first level clock.

Mal Duffin said:
On Willow, I believe it's also the setting where you start with 2 lives, and 3 energy bars only ( Normal difficulty ).

Can someone confirm this?
Mal
That's the one
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
One last thing I've noticed regarding the cart level...

When you land on the cart, the time gets reset to 2:59

You have to hold on until the time reaches 1:46, then the bad guys explode and the level finishes - so you have to survive for about 1 1/4 minutes, not an easy task :)

I wonder if, for each game, we should make a FAQ, and then post it to sites like http://www.gamefaqs.com/ As the game is only going to be played for a short period, and then the focus will switch to one of the two new ones, leaving behind some tips for future retro fans might be cool. If everyone shares for the FAQ, it can only make getting the highest score more of an achievement!!!

that's a great idea, now we just need someone to set it up and organize it. -not it! :p

Back