One Last Thing Before I Buy....

ddk121

Still Fresh
Hey!
I have now decided to buy a gp2x console, but I need to know one thing before I do. I have looked in the gp2x archive on this website, and have seen two categories called 'EMULATORS' and 'GAMES'. Basically, what is the differnece. Why do we need emulators?

PS.Sorry if this is a stupid question!

"Games" are games that were (re)designed specifically for the GP2X.

"Emulators" are software which allow you to play old games for various systems such as the NES, Genesis and Super Nintendo on a virtual version of the original system.

Blah posted on Aug 17 2006 at 10:35 AM said:

"Emulators" are software which allow you to play old games for various systems such as the NES, Genesis and Super Nintendo on a virtual version of the original system.

OK, thanks. So, say I have downloaded the eumulator, for the N64. Where do I get the N64 games from? Do they come with the emulator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is to say, if you just download an emulator and run it without having any of those games as roms on the 2x as well, you'll be disappointed. They need the roms to do anything that's even remotely impressive. For some you can make your own (e.g. psx games - buy second hand, rip, shove on the card - simple), for others the process is way more simplified if you just download a rom that someone else has ripped. Just don't ask where to get them because that's against forum rules.

Although obviously in order to do that legally, you've got to own the original cartridge. And I'm absolutely convinced that everyone here does. No doubts whatsoever!

Games, on the other hand, typically just need to be thrown onto the cart and then opened. Much simpler, but, a lot of the time, not quite as either nostalgic or as snazzy graphically as the roms made for different systems. The key difference being that emulated games typically had game studios behind them, whereas homebrew ones don't.

EDIT: Don't even think about running N64 stuff on the 2x. If there's an emu, it's proof of concept - the games will undoubtably run unplayably slowly. If they even work. I must say, I wasn't even aware that anyone had even attempted to port one... Try out the genesis one first.

Tobriand posted on Aug 17 2006 at 10:44 AM said:
Which is to say, if you just download an emulator and run it without having any of those games as roms on the 2x as well, you'll be disappointed. They need the roms to do anything that's even remotely impressive. For some you can make your own (e.g. psx games - buy second hand, rip, shove on the card - simple), for others the process is way more simplified if you just download a rom that someone else has ripped. Just don't ask where to get them because that's against forum rules.

Although obviously in order to do that legally, you've got to own the original cartridge. And I'm absolutely convinced that everyone here does. No doubts whatsoever!

Games, on the other hand, typically just need to be thrown onto the cart and then opened. Much simpler, but, a lot of the time, not quite as either nostalgic or as snazzy graphically as the roms made for different systems. The key difference being that emulated games typically had game studios behind them, whereas homebrew ones don't.

Thanks very much. :) lol. Also, If i wanted to download some skins for my gp2x system, where do I copy these to on the SD card?

DDK121 posted on Aug 17 2006 at 10:40 AM said:
Blah posted on Aug 17 2006 at 10:35 AM said:

OK, thanks. So, say I have downloaded the eumulator, for the N64. Where do I get the N64 games from? Do they come with the emulator?
N64 isn't a supported system (GP2x doesn't have the power to run N64 games) & we can't tell u where to get the roms from as it's illegal.
Just search the net for them :)
***EDIT***
Beat me to it Tobriand ;)

You can get skins in the skins section of http://archive.gp2x.de

Games used in emulators are known as "ROMS". These are back-up copies of commercial games (games that cost money).

As these games cost money and are copyrighted, it is illegal to distribute them, and it is illegal to download them without owning an original copy. As such, emulators do not come with ROMs.

You can download them from places, but I cannot tell you where to get them. This is against the forum rules.

There is one exception though. Some games have been released as freeware. One place to get those is www.pdroms.com.

Also, there is no N64 emulator. Nor will there ever be. The GP2X simply is not powerful enough to emulate the N64.

For many of us the reason we get a GP2X is because of emulators

Not sure how old you are but for a lot of us here (27-35) being able to play the games of yesterday on a GP2X is just brilliant.

As others have told you we cant tell you where to get roms but search the net and you'll find them for sure. Its amazing being able to play so many of these classic old games, eg Super Mario Land on the GB, Sonic on the Megadrive, Jet Set Willy on the Sinclair Spectrum, many C64 classics , old Atari VCS games also and many other systems.

So basically with an emulator you can download 10000's of games. For the sinclair Spectrum legal games can be downloaded from the archive at www.worldofspectrum.org as the developers from 20 years ago have given permission for people to download their games.

Best of all has to be emulators such as MAME and Neo Geo. MAME is basically old arcade games, some classic games are there and it runs 800+

So in your palm of your hand you'll have a device capable of running so many classic games on different devices. I never had a SNES or PC Engine, Master System or C64, but i do enjoy discovering games for these systems and finding out what are the best ones to keep etc.

psj3809 posted on Aug 17 2006 at 10:50 AM said:
For many of us the reason we get a GP2X is because of emulators

Not sure how old you are but for a lot of us here (27-35) being able to play the games of yesterday on a GP2X is just brilliant.

As others have told you we cant tell you where to get roms but search the net and you'll find them for sure. Its amazing being able to play so many of these classic old games, eg Super Mario Land on the GB, Sonic on the Megadrive, Jet Set Willy on the Sinclair Spectrum, many C64 classics , old Atari VCS games also and many other systems.

So basically with an emulator you can download 10000's of games. For the sinclair Spectrum legal games can be downloaded from the archive at www.worldofspectrum.org as the developers from 20 years ago have given permission for people to download their games.

Best of all has to be emulators such as MAME and Neo Geo. MAME is basically old arcade games, some classic games are there and it runs 800+

So in your palm of your hand you'll have a device capable of running so many classic games on different devices. I never had a SNES or PC Engine, Master System or C64, but i do enjoy discovering games for these systems and finding out what are the best ones to keep etc.

Where do I save the skins to on the SD card? What size SD Card should I buy?

1. I haven't the slightest idea.
2. The biggest you can afford. Be sure to get a fast one. 150X is a good speed. I got a 2 gig one. You can buy them for cheap on the 'web.

Blah posted on Aug 17 2006 at 11:05 AM said:
1. I haven't the slightest idea.
2. The biggest you can afford. Be sure to get a fast one. 150X is a good speed. I got a 2 gig one. You can buy them for cheap on the 'web.

Thanks. Looking on the file archive, I have seen quake 1 I would love to play, but it really looks complicated to install with files everywhere. Is it complicated?

You just extract the zip to somewhere on your card, and then copy "pak0.pak" and "pak1.pak" from your copy of Quake to the ID1 folder on your card.

Don't be disappointed when you are frustrated with you gp2x at first. It seems like you have no experience with homebrew software and emulators. You will need to learn by trying and then you will quickly get a hang of it. If you read the readmes of the emulators, search the forums before you ask and lookup the wiki or some faq you will be just fine. The gp2x will become very handy and easy to use but you need to make some experience. People here will gladly help though.

DDK121 said:
Also, If i wanted to download some skins for my gp2x system, where do I copy these to on the SD card?
You can put them anywhere you like. I created a folder called Themes and put each theme in it's own folder within that.

BTW, if you're feeling a bit overwhelmed then you could always check some emulators on your PC first to get the hang of it.

Thanks for your help everyone!
I will sure to be buying one. One last question though... :unsure: Just downloaded a sudoku game from the file archive to see how too move and play on the gp2x. After extracting the files from it, I realised it had a folder called themes, and a folder ending .gpe . Which one needs to be moved to play it on the system?

I am living in the UK. Where is the best and cheapest place to buy one? Also when buying a system, I heard you must buy a version 2.00 one. How do I know which version it is?

99.9% of online stores(because you've got practically no chance of finding this thing in an old fashioned brick and mortar store) will have the Mk2, which is what you're after. If memory serves, you're looking for a small sticker on the back of the device when you receive it that lists some information. It should say GPX-GP2X-F100(B) in the bottom-left row on it. If it does, you have a mk2.

The mk2's also have a different joystick cap from the originals, so you can easily tell that way.

Back