One Of The Sd Cards No Longer Recognized On Pandora

amk

Still Fresh
I've just received my Pandora but after a while it stopped recognizing one of the two sd cards I have.
Here are the facts:

At first:
32gb sdhc class 6 - worked in both slots at first
4gb micro sd in adapter - worked in both slots at first

Now:
32gb works in computer (formated a few times with the panasonic format tool) but not on Pandora. In either slots
4gb works in either slots of the Pandora and on the computer

I have no idea what could is the reason for this. I might have removed the 32gb a few times.
I rebooted the device a few times and nothing.
Do I have to reflash?

Thanks

---- LATEST SUMMARY WITHOUT A SOLUTION ------
I've just tried the latest Hotfix (5 Rc1) and still
Code:
ls /dev/mmc*
gives:
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0 and /dev/mmcblk0pl
Which means it only one of the two cards inserted - it recognizes a 4gb card but not the 32gb one. I've tried switching the slots.

I tried the 32GB card in my laptop - I have dual boot Win7 and Linux Mint.
In Windows it works flawlessly, under Mint it doesn't show up at all (exactly like on the pandora).
I would like to clarify, that this card (32GB Adata SDHC) was recognized by the Pandora when I first inserted it.

Is this a kernel issue then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Run fsck on the disc. I think it's called chkdsk on Windows. Or install the gparted pnd onto your 4 GB card and check the other sd straight from the Pandora itself. That is assuming that the Pandora can indeed detect it but isn't able to mount it. What format is it in? What brand? Where did you get it?

More information is always good. Also, when you plug the card in, open a terminal and type 'dbus'. Past the last, say, twenty or so lines here wrapped in
Code:
 tags.

What hotfix are you running? I know when I got mine, I had to give my card a name for it to work correctly. Try giving it a name.

Guys, thanks a lot for the feedback!
In the meantime I checked another SD card, an old sandisk 32MB and it poped up - but only on the first insert. It didn't show up in either slots after removing it. Just like the 32GB one.

OilySalmon said:
What format is it in? What brand? Where did you get it?
Fat32 just like the other. It's AData purchased from trustworthy offline store, it wasn't suspiciously low-priced.
I will get do just like you said as I get back home, I will also get, just in case, the files for flashing.
Thanks Salmon!

MonkeyChops said:
What hotfix are you running? I know when I got mine, I had to give my card a name for it to work correctly. Try giving it a name.
It says Zaxxon on the bootscreen. I'm positive I named it.
Thanks Monkey!

^ Zaxxon is just the name of the current OS version - it's not an indication of what Hotfix you have installed. It is my understanding that new Pandoras still need Hotfix 4 applied. You may want to install that and see if it helps.

Since beta4, the HF5 have a fix for some sdcard.
using http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58598-hotfix-5-rc-1-ready-for-testing/ worth the shoot ;)

OilySalmon said:
Run fsck on the disc. I think it's called chkdsk on Windows. Or install the gparted pnd onto your 4 GB card and check the other sd straight from the Pandora itself. That is assuming that the Pandora can indeed detect it but isn't able to mount it. What format is it in? What brand? Where did you get it?

More information is always good. Also, when you plug the card in, open a terminal and type 'dbus'. Past the last, say, twenty or so lines here wrapped in
Code:
 tags.
[/quote]

dbus command is not found when typed in the terminal on my Pandora
chkdsk on windows hasn't found any issues with the device
gparted doesn't see any other device than the 4gb card

Reflash?

Put in both SD cards, and in a terminal run "ls /dev/mmc*"
You should see something like
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0  /dev/mmcblk0p1  /dev/mmcblk1  /dev/mmcblk1p1
blk0 refers to the first SD slot, blk1 refers to the second SD slot, and the "p1" files are the filesystems it can find on those cards. If you can see those, it means it can see the card, it just can't mount for some reason. If you see (for example) mmcblk1 but not mmcblk1p1, it means it sees a physical card, but doesn't recognize a filesystem on it at all that could possibly be mounted. If it doesn't even see the mmcblk1 file (or blk0, depending on which slot you put it in) then it doesn't seem to be seeing the card at all. I'd be surprised if it wasn't recognizing the card at all. If it were one of the slots causing a problem, maybe, but since it's a card that fails in either slot, something is up with the card.
Finally, eject the bad card and reinsert it, and type "dmesg | tail -30" and post the output. That will tell us if there are any errors while loading up the card and possibly what we can do to fix them.

WizardStan said:
Put in both SD cards, and in a terminal run "ls /dev/mmc*"
You should see something like
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0  /dev/mmcblk0p1  /dev/mmcblk1  /dev/mmcblk1p1
blk0 refers to the first SD slot, blk1 refers to the second SD slot, and the "p1" files are the filesystems it can find on those cards. If you can see those, it means it can see the card, it just can't mount for some reason. If you see (for example) mmcblk1 but not mmcblk1p1, it means it sees a physical card, but doesn't recognize a filesystem on it at all that could possibly be mounted. If it doesn't even see the mmcblk1 file (or blk0, depending on which slot you put it in) then it doesn't seem to be seeing the card at all. I'd be surprised if it wasn't recognizing the card at all. If it were one of the slots causing a problem, maybe, but since it's a card that fails in either slot, something is up with the card.
Finally, eject the bad card and reinsert it, and type "dmesg | tail -30" and post the output. That will tell us if there are any errors while loading up the card and possibly what we can do to fix them.

Code:
ls /dev/mmc*
yields:
Code:

Code:
dmesg | tail -30
> [  445.560211] keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 184
[  454.227294] mmci-omap mmci-omap.1: MMC IRQ 0x108000 : ERRI DTO
[  454.240142] mmc1: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

Edit:
I reflashed with hotfix 4 and it still doesn't recognize the SD cards.
It looks as if some of my cards got corupted after their first use with the pandora, but are still usable with other devices.
What am I left to do?
Thanks a lot for the support!

error -110 seems to be a fairly common "we don't know" error across the internet. A lot of results I found were similar "works fine in XP but not in Fedora/Ubuntu/whateverlinux".
As a first test, that 32MB card that you also said stopped working? Double check it as well, make sure it's still not working, and then format it on your desktop, see if the formatting allows it to work on the Pandora again.

WizardStan said:
error -110 seems to be a fairly common "we don't know" error across the internet. A lot of results I found were similar "works fine in XP but not in Fedora/Ubuntu/whateverlinux".
As a first test, that 32MB card that you also said stopped working? Double check it as well, make sure it's still not working, and then format it on your desktop, see if the formatting allows it to work on the Pandora again.
I've fiddled with the other card, formatted with windows, formatted with panasonic format tool. Still nothing. Yields the same error -110;

well, it's obviously not a hardware problem per se, since it only affects certain cards. It's possible the card has some defect which Windows will happily ignore but the Pandora is less tolerant of. Have you tried the Hot Fix 5 beta? There supposed to be a fix in there for certain SD cards, I believe.

WizardStan said:
well, it's obviously not a hardware problem per se, since it only affects certain cards. It's possible the card has some defect which Windows will happily ignore but the Pandora is less tolerant of. Have you tried the Hot Fix 5 beta? There supposed to be a fix in there for certain SD cards, I believe.
I've just tried the latest Hotfix (5 Rc1) and still
Code:
ls /dev/mmc*
gives:
Code:
Which means it only one of the two cards inserted - it recognizes a 4gb card but not the 32gb one. I've tried switching the slots.

I tried the 32GB card in my laptop - I have dual boot Win7 and Linux Mint.
In Windows it works flawlessly, under Mint it doesn't show up at all (exactly like on the pandora).
I would like to clarify, that this card was recognized by the Pandora when I first inserted it.

Is this a kernel issue then?

in terms of formatting - try using something like gparted to remove all parittions, make a new one, then format that (either fat32 or ext2/3, might make a difference)

sd cards can be strange beasts...

The 32 sd cards works with the pandora (and linux mint on my laptop) only with the use of a card reader.

Ive tried the following formats: fat32, ext2, ext3
After each format I closed gparted, removed the reader, removed the card from the reader and poped it into the pandora.

Each time the card still remains ignored, doesnt show up in /dev/mmc*

Back