Open Kaillera - Net Play On Pandora? * 2008 Thread *

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddis

Website
www.ringtonesheep.co.uk
I have gone through some older threads and noticed Kaillera has had limitations as it is closed source. It also now seems to be dead going by their website. I know a few people have already stumbled across and posted their findings about open kaillera.

http://okai.movsq.net/

I realise that a few people are discussing that we need a set of 'standards' to be used by all emulators. Am i right in saying this could be the base for all net play both for Lans and Wans? I would love to be playing SFA 3 against someone half way accross the world. I am hoping this could even be a cross platform net play (ie 1 player using kawaks, and another the pandora)

I would love to discuss the possibilities of open kaillera. Let me know what you think

Maddis

A friend and I were thinking net play games on the Pandora would be great period, especially if given the option of connecting to a Pandora near you, or over the net with others. I would like to know if anyone is working on this or something similar, too.

Noisome

There are two projects being developed to help network play on the Pandora. One is POND, whose primary design concern is to provide developers with a simplistic way to add networking features to their games. The other is TINXL, which arose out of the clamoring of people wanting something like XBox Live to assist in finding people who want to game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaillera is good. I have used it with MAME, KAWAKS and ZSNES with good results. I even set up my own kaillera server to do it, and it ran beautifully.

If it is open source, someone should definitely get it working on a pandora, because that would open up so much for the community.

Kaillera is also a chat client for players before and during gameplay.

That's crazy. I just asked this over at the new Pandora forums. I'm glad people are interested in this. Adhoc would be cool but being the only one of all my friends who is getting a Pandora, it would be useless to me. I hope someone with the skill and will to accomplish this can actually get it done.

Afaik RakNet is open-source, is someone about to port that one?

GabrielM said:
Afaik RakNet is open-source, is someone about to port that one?
Kaillera is already included in many emulators, why reinvent the wheel?

epsxe (via cyberpad plugin)
Kawaks
Gens+

Unless of course Afaik RakNet will be compatible with the kaillera servers???

RakNet is just a network library, it has nothing special to do with emulators or the kaillera way of doing things.

sorry i didnt know its about emulator networking only ;)
i was wondering which library to use for own homebrew games

pferguso said:
Kaillera is good. I have used it with MAME, KAWAKS and ZSNES with good results. I even set up my own kaillera server to do it, and it ran beautifully.

If it is open source, someone should definitely get it working on a pandora, because that would open up so much for the community.

Kaillera is also a chat client for players before and during gameplay.
The mic on the :pandora1: would be great during netplay!

Alright, guys, this will never happen. Kaillera is a dead, closed-source project. We'd need an ARM Linux port of the SDK to ever get it on Pandora, and that simply will not happen in the foreseeable future.

a good thread far down the ropes of this forum. I would hate to see it 404, maybe have a dev shine some light on it. This also answers my other thread.

Why the hell not?

Well then... let the blaming begin. I don't really mind though, it is nice to see a gravedug (or is it gravedigged?) topic once in a while. It's like going back in a time machine, back to when there were only 2 months left before I could play the pandora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back