Open Pandora for stories and other usages (Pocket netbook?)

^ default is one nub for cursor, the other for mouse buttons.

However, I prefer:

Dpad: arrow keys

Left nub: cursor movement

Right nub: scrolling (both axes)

ABXY buttons: (mouse buttons)

All this is configurable without nerdy know-how too :)

Am I the only one, that is not using the nubs at all?

I am very happy with touch screen and keys.
Just seeing what people use to control it, after watching _wb_'s unboxing video it just dawned on me that I didn't exactly know what was used to control the desktop.. sure in the ashen's video he used a stylus, but seeing _wb_ fly through the menus and such.. led me to believe that nubs would be a better long term thing to get use to. I'm learning all I can about the pandora before I dive in and buy one.. or rather learn all I can before I have the money to buy one.  :wacko:   Still another question how is the pandora for internet browsing? I saw a debate between crominum and firefox on the  forum, and i'm just curious how does it handle the webs.. and how is the modern wi-fi? I saw a few years ago that wi-fi wasn't the greatest thing in the world and was all over the place from amazing.. to utter garbage  :huh:  is this resolved?

I sold my dongle, because my wlan works very fine since the ghz-upgrade, maybe I was just lucky?

The older models seem to have more problems with this and for that, there is still usb-wlan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold my dongle, because my wlan works very fine since the ghz-upgrade, maybe I was just lucky?

The older models seem to have more problems with this and for that, there is still usb-wlan.
Okay and can it do like every day web browsing.. I mean like could i visit facebook, youtube, the forums on it?  I assume flash works by now? (remember most of the information i've gather was from the Ashens video created back around 2011.. so  I assume since its a desktop it should have regular internet access?

I have no problems visiting facebook or google apps or these forums on my pandora. I usually use Jumanji as my web browser on the Pandora, and that doesn't do flash (at least not that I've discovered), so others will have to comment on youtube, but at least everything else works a charm :)

I have no problems visiting facebook or google apps or these forums on my pandora. I usually use Jumanji as my web browser on the Pandora, and that doesn't do flash (at least not that I've discovered), so others will have to comment on youtube, but at least everything else works a charm :)
I saw that browser pop up... I was curious about it.. now i know. :) Thanks.. this is really informative   :)

I saw that browser pop up... I was curious about it.. now i know. :) Thanks.. this is really informative   :)
Qupzilla is a much better browser than jumanji. Jumanji has rendering problems on a number of pages, and qupzilla doesnt and is very fast too.

Better is in the way of the beholder :) Personally, I like the keyboard focus of Jumanji (which most certainly will not be to everybodys' liking), and I'm a bit wary of apps that Streak has been involved with, so I've been using Firefox for the few times I'm not satisfied with Jumanji.

But that is part of the appeal of the pandora - There are options for everyone :) DrHAX, have you tried browsing through the Repo to see what exists?

Better is in the way of the beholder :) Personally, I like the keyboard focus of Jumanji (which most certainly will not be to everybodys' liking), and I'm a bit wary of apps that Streak has been involved with, so I've been using Firefox for the few times I'm not satisfied with Jumanji.

But that is part of the appeal of the pandora - There are options for everyone :) DrHAX, have you tried browsing through the Repo to see what exists?
I'm just curious to know what has flash avalible to it and what works quickly...  I could learn to adapt to stuff... I'm just seeing my options before I dive in. I difinetly want a pandora... I always have so when I get the money I will be buying one or posting  wanted ad in the trading section.. just need to wait for my paychecks to come in...and hope the other expenses don't drain me.

I'm just curious to know what has flash avalible to it and what works quickly...
Flash 11 is available, vector animations work great, a lot of games work reasonably well, but the video decoder is utter crap, youtube at 240p quality at best. We have a specific youtube app that's better than the browser anyway.
edit: if there's any game you want me to try just ask.

I'm just curious to know what has flash avalible to it and what works quickly...
Flash 11 is available, vector animations work great, a lot of games work reasonably well, but the video decoder is utter crap, youtube at 240p quality at best. We have a specific youtube app that's better than the browser anyway.
Okay.. that's good to know.. and i'd most likely downloading youtube videos to watch latter..(hope that doesn't set off any german red flags o_O ) I have a crappy internet that only allows downing( that doesn't go against the data limit)  from time midnight to 5 in the morning... o_O so yeah.... Also I watch alot of the entertainer type people on youtube so having the ability to pull out the yogscast or Totalbiscuit on the move would be nice. I basically want to use the pandora for my borderline daily activities.. I will be honest even today I haven't done anything that would require most of windows 7 laptop. So  the advantages of the pandora are becoming apparent the more I look at my life.  Also the pandora allows me to get back into the linux scene and enjoy learning about the device, also the pandora's just freakin' cool.

Have you tried the Vimperator plugin for firefox? So long as you're okay with vi bindings that might be of interest. Sadly, for emacs users, it seems Conkeror has turned from a plugin into a full browser and has not been built for Pandora yet.

Stumbled across these helpful links.

http://pandoralive.info/?p=366

http://pandoralive.info/?p=100

http://pandoralive.info/?p=522

http://pandoralive.info/?p=1600

The Pandoralive really gave me alot of information.. and this is what I needed, examples so I can project my usages of my laptops on it.. Back when I went to aussy land back in 2011 I took my netbook with me.. and I used it entirely for typing up stories, music, and the game terraria... that's it. Also during life after that it was the same.. just with youtube. When I use a device I power use it, and I type alot.. actually my netbook has a warped keyboard from all of the words I quickly hammered away on it. Seeing how versatile the pandora is really does inspire me to pick one up. I know its not going to be perfect.. then again nothing is! But, the pandora seems to be the good little system because of what it can do. It is a little full sized computer in your pocket, and its design is brilliant, The pandoralive articles give somebody a better idea of what the device is able to do, not what it can do. My dell axim 51v could do many things.... not that you'd want to do that list of things on it enless you had too.  :lol:  While the pandora on the other hand seems a device you want to use. I'm 100% sold on it... now the only problem is money  <_<  then again isn't that the universal problem that most people encounter? :(  Still for those of you who keep on stumbling onto this.. please do speak up. If you use a pandora and have any input at all, even if its suggestions for programs on the repro.. Please do! :)    I like having a list of things to go to, and honestly it might help somebody else down the line too.  ^_^

Edit: More Browsing discovered this http://pandoralive.info/?p=148 ! Remember when I said I like music? Yes.. I do.. heavily. I actually ran a ipod nano with rockbox on it so I could a Get around apple's bull crap B, use the equalizer and other such features to max out my music.. I'm not 100% pure audiophile, I don't have access to the higher up stuff, but seeing that. *claps* Bravo!

^^^ ekianjo write all these usefull articles :)

For suggestion on the repo, just use the rating there and the download count. It will give you an idea of the real usage of these. And it all depend on your personnal preference/need. I for one would recommand you nxengine and audacious but I'm somewhat biased toward these :D

To be accurate, he only wrote one of them, since they're all 'My day with' articles. But yeah, pandoralive is a very useful resource.

For me, those articles are more useful for finding stuff that hasn't necessarily been downloaded all that much, but which might just fit a niche that I share with that author. The download counts on the repo are useful for finding out which of the various emulators for a platform is likely to be best, but other than that the repo stats aren't all that helpful in my experience.

For office tasks on vacation especcially writing, a Pandora with usb-hub, mini mouse and foldable keyboard is just great and saves a lot of space.

I do not really use my laptop anymore and the netbook collects dust too.

Audio could not be better. Period.

The download counts on the repo are useful for finding out which of the various emulators for a platform is likely to be best, but other than that the repo stats aren't all that helpful in my experience.
Download counts are totally biased by the number of versions of each program. If someone makes 10 versions of the same program and the whole use base updates it 10 times then the download count will be ten fold.

It would be way more significant to have a (total downloads)/(nb of versions) count in the repo.

Btw thanks for mentioning the Pandoralive articles!

Back