Open Source Drivers?

i just recently replaced my nvidia card with an ati radeon, i am free from binary blobs and intend to stay that way. i wasnt really thinking full desktop on pandora, but perhaps, my desktop now is only a p3 799 MHz. but what ever it is, i would like to use what ever package manager and update the software on it. i would rather compile from source though.

matt

Chip said:
It's not because there is some underlying conspiracy or terrible secret that they're trying to cover up.
It is a conspiracy by lawyers and imaginary property lawyers so that customers don't know what they buy. My 0.02€.
anyway...

Does it really matter? I can't see most Pandora users changing and recompiling their drivers; unless you're an open-for-open's sake person like RMS.

And that would be bad? ;)
It might matter if it has stupid bugs and they don't care about fixing them for a console with less then 10000 buyers, then we'll have a 212€ piece of buggy hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perky_Goth said:
And that would be bad? ;)
Fundamentalism is always bad. Always. No matter whether we're talking political, religious or licensing fundamentalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back