Open Source Mmorpg- The Mana World

palmertech

Has anyone seen this? It is an open source MMO that has already been ported to the N800 and N810, and it works with external keyboards as well as bluetooth ones. It is not very typing heavy, dpad and touch screen take care of most of the navigation (Except when talking to people). Anyone up for porting this? Only took a few hours for it to be ported to N800. Site: http://www.themanaworld.org/
It would be pretty awesome to get this ported! NOTE: I posted this in the dev forum, and got little interest, as not many people read it. Go read it, it has a lot more info about super-cool stuff like n64 and DS emulation! B)

even though it's very simple, it must be nice to give it a try. i think it's really viable to get a pandora port out of it :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1th2xJy7Cec

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at several other open source mmo games, but they were all either java based games that had really stripped down graphics so they could work on most smartphones, or they had good graphics, but written almost exclusively with x86 specific code. When I found this the first thing I noticed was that the code is very flexible, who knows, I may have a go at porting this myself!

Note the subtitle to this thread "Already ported to N800 internet tablet". There has been a lot of talk about running N800 stuff on the Pandora, as they are very similar hardware. If it can run on the N800, which is slower and does not even have a graphics accelerator, then there is no reason to worry. Let me try to find the N800 thread, I think the guy says it only took him a few hours to port.

I played this game extensively for quite a few weeks. Ultimately there isn't much to do. The game world is very incomplete and leveling is SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW Oh My God It's so freaking slow.

Regardless, the community in the game is nice, and the developers try to listen to the players to get things done. It just takes awhile.

I wouldn't mind seeing a port for the Pandora. But I doubt I'd play it again.

magicman5421 said:
meh
i tried tmw for a little bit...didn't like it much
regnum, however, now there's a good free rpg
Regnum has no source. Or does it?

mindlord said:
I played this game extensively for quite a few weeks. Ultimately there isn't much to do. The game world is very incomplete and leveling is SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW Oh My God It's so freaking slow.

Regardless, the community in the game is nice, and the developers try to listen to the players to get things done. It just takes awhile.

I wouldn't mind seeing a port for the Pandora. But I doubt I'd play it again.
Remember, this game is still in PRE-ALPHA! They are still working on fixing any bugs in the game before actually adding content. They do have a few people doing quests, though. When did you last play it? They added quite a bit of stuff fairly recently. Also, the reason leveling is so slow is that all the current worlds are made for newbs at low levels, there are only a few more hardcore places for better players to go as of now. Personally, I dislike runescape, however, I love Pokemon. I have had a few email conversations with someone making a pokemon mmo... I am actually on the beta testing list. Frankly, it really sucks right now, but it should get better, the potential is there.

TMW needs a little more work, that's for sure, but it feels like a solid system so far. The user interface feels very nice, and it's easy to pick-up-and-go, unlike most other MMORPG's such as Runescape, which drags you through a tutorial place.

The graphics look like their ripped straight out of RPG Maker 2003.

(look at the cliff walls when the player is in the desert to see what I mean)

PSyMastR said:
The graphics look like their ripped straight out of RPG Maker 2003.
This is the result of creating too generic of tiles. The graphics are drawn in such a way that everything can be reused as much as possible. While this makes tileset development and map construction much easier, it tends to lead towards boring/stale environments with no character. Take a look at games like Seiken Densetsu 3 and you'll see the exact opposite; it's highly detailed and beautiful because they draw the tileset for the scene, and not the scene for the tileset.

I've never played The Mana World myself, but I do remember brushing by it once or twice. If it's this easy of a port then I don't see why it shouldn't be on Pandora. Maybe I'll finally give it a try.

Shiny said:
Take a look at games like Seiken Densetsu 3 and you'll see the exact opposite; it's highly detailed and beautiful because they draw the scene for the tileset, and not the tileset for the scene.
Is that the right way round? Surely, if you draw the scene for the tileset, then you end up skimping on the detail not currently implemented (or implementable) in that tileset? Whereas if you sketch a scene and then make a barnk new tileset especially for it, QED, the scene will look almost identical to the original sketch (i.e. much more detail)!

All grahpics were created by the TMW team, which consists out of many artists. Because of that the quality of tilesets vary. And we still use some resized stuff from our switch to 32*32 tiles. (old ones were 16*16)

Please keep in mind that we still use eAthena, a Ragnarok server emulator, but we are working on our own server for some years now, which will provide better gameplay and content we really care for ;)

But I think a MMORPG game on a handheld doesnt make that much sense if you havent a true mobile internet access like UMTS or something...

Oh, here some high-quality tileset being worked on:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/990/crapy102ch9.png

Well, we'd have WiFi. And for me at least, I'd think that's enough. And of course, there's been speculation as to the possibility of using one of the mobile broadband dongles that seem to have been becoming vaguely affordable recently.

Although ONLY vaguely affordable - you still have to be *really* careful with usage lest you overspend.

palmertech said:
Has anyone seen this? It is an open source MMO that has already been ported to the N800 and N810, and it works with external keyboards as well as bluetooth ones. It is not very typing heavy, dpad and touch screen take care of most of the navigation (Except when talking to people). Anyone up for porting this? Only took a few hours for it to be ported to N800. Site: http://www.themanaworld.org/
It would be pretty awesome to get this ported! NOTE: I posted this in the dev forum, and got little interest, as not many people read it. Go read it, it has a lot more info about super-cool stuff like n64 and DS emulation! B)

I compiled the mana world and daimonin for the tablets. Need to work on them when i get time. Should both be great with pandora.

http://pupnik.de/tmw.html

Tobriand said:
Is that the right way round? Surely, if you draw the scene for the tileset, then you end up skimping on the detail not currently implemented (or implementable) in that tileset? Whereas if you sketch a scene and then make a barnk new tileset especially for it, QED, the scene will look almost identical to the original sketch (i.e. much more detail)!
Nope D: Had it in reverse like you said. That's what I get for rushing through things.

Fixed original post.

Back