Open Source Nintendo DS Emulator for Android

I don't want to start a troll here, but I've installed desmume in pandebian, and with a 1Ghz pandora at 1200 Mhz (max proposed by the pandora interface), Professor layton is working at 20FPS (the videos are at 15FPS).

The game is not full speed, but it is playable. It's a fact.

I'm just wondering why everyone here are so upset when someone talk about ds emulator for the pandora saying "it's not possible, forget it". If you just want it, do like me, use pandebian (and play games that are not full of action ;p)
Substract ~5 FPS for a 1000MHz clocked rebirth Pandora, it works, but its not very fun to play.

Don't forget 1 GHz Pandoras are a relativly new development, and there are far more "normal" Pandoras in the wild than "gigas". And I don't believe that Professor Layton games (altough these are the only reason why a crappy DS is lying at home) are the games that most people have in mind, when talking about DS Emulation

I don't want to start a troll here, but I've installed desmume in pandebian, and with a 1Ghz pandora at 1200 Mhz (max proposed by the pandora interface), Professor layton is working at 20FPS (the videos are at 15FPS).

The game is not full speed, but it is playable. It's a fact.

I'm just wondering why everyone here are so upset when someone talk about ds emulator for the pandora saying "it's not possible, forget it". If you just want it, do like me, use pandebian (and play games that are not full of action ;p)

I don't know that that game is very demanding, but maybe with a recompiler and optimizations it could be closer to full-speed.

DS is not a "current gen" console. It's not being marketed (Nintendo would definitely prefer you buy a 3DS) and while technically games are still being released for it it's pretty much exclusively shovelware.

DS is not a "current gen" console. It's not being marketed (Nintendo would definitely prefer you buy a 3DS) and while technically games are still being released for it it's pretty much exclusively shovelware.
Yeah, Pokemon Black & White 2 definitely aren't big-name games at all...

Also, I don't think this Android emulator would be very useful for Pandora as it seems to be just a port of DeSmuME with added touch screen controls and other phone-specific stuff.

I said "pretty much", but okay, one major first party release that sounds more like an expansion pack than a new game. At least they didn't move this to 3DS like NSMB2. I guess keeping it on the same system makes rehashing releases even less work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Pokemon Black & White 2 definitely aren't big-name games at all...

Also, I don't think this Android emulator would be very useful for Pandora as it seems to be just a port of DeSmuME with added touch screen controls and other phone-specific stuff.
Actually its quite nice on my xperia play. All of the buttons can be mapped so it should work on the pandora as well. The Phoenix Wright games run at a really good rate with sound enabled.

One man's playable is another man's unbearable. Thanks for showing though, now people can decide for themselves. Personally I'd never play something like that, even for a game that's not that real-time like Professor Layton.. the slow animations and cutscenes and stuff would drive me crazy (not to mention the sound).

Yeah, I would call it unbearable for actually playing. It looks like it's actually something like 2~4 FPS. Well, maybe someone will take on making a new optimized DS emulator for the next generation of ARM devices.

Why not make an optimized DS emulator for the current generation of ARM devices? Next gen won't need that much optimization apparently :p

and no, before someone ask, theses jokes does not get old, specially for people without a pandora to test

Back