Open2x Dr6 For F100 And F200

Hi All, took the plunge and install DR6 n my f200.
Can say very impressed, USB control is fantastic, overall feel is much better and boot time seems so much quicker than official firmware.

Have tried NTSC and PAL output and both seem to work, but on PAL have a wide band 8-10 pixels wide on right hand side which seem to be a repeat of the left most 8-10 pixels.

App that worked:
Gnuboy2x
Picodrive
psx4gp2x running oddworld
cavestory
nethack
OutcaST - at last can play via TV out :)

Apps not working
gp2xspectrum with tvout
scrummvm with tvout front screen wouldn't resize correctly, or with tv daemon kept flickering - couldn't start any games but may have incorrect paths so will check them

Will try and test a few more things over weekend

Last edited by a moderator:
scrummvm works on tvout. I can play the game, simon the sorcerer. But like i said, cutoff from the bottom and wide right side.

Have tried again and as I thought I had the wrong paths for scummvm, it now works in tvout but no matter what tv scaling, offsets i use it does cut off the bottom of the screen.

LemonBoy has a half screen with tv out :(
Gnuboy works well on tv out but I don't know why it has costant slowdown in game.

But the global feeling with DR6 is awesome. Gmenu is perfect and all configurable.
After all bug fixes this will be the best firmware for gp2x.

Thank you very much for the impressive works! :D

'JeanLouSchmidt' said:
Hi guys,

I give a first try on my GP2X F100 mkII unit with open2x DR6, I'm really impressed by the global feeling, congratulations !

I've just quickly tested few features and these are my results :

- USB gamepad control is great. :D
- the new picture viewer is good (fast and reactive). :lol:
- TV out is working (both NTSC and PAL), but offset setting and gamma does not works(to be confirmed).
- Soft reboot is really cool. B)
- picodrive tv out with 2 gamepad works :D
- I had a black screen when launching PocketSnes with TV out, and need to do a hard reboot.
- Wind and Water works fine.

And then no more battery...so I need to get an AC adapter to continue tests, battery sucks when using both tv-out and usb gamepads.
I'am back with a real AC adapter, that's a lot better :D

- TV-out PAL and NTSC, offset and gamma setting works great.
- Confirm that sometimes DrPocketSNES crash with TV-out, somtimes not.
- Mame4all can't launch games with TV-out
- I had problems with TV-out for CPS2, GNGEO and FinalBurn, I successfully launch games one time, and then nothing, soft and hard reboot do not solve anything. Strange....
- I've a few videos who do not launch with TV-out but are fine without.

Yes! My super-gp2x is on full steam again thanks to the new TV out! :D

^ The USB pad control could save you a lot of work too, depending on how you're approaching that part of the mod. The doors are now wide open for anyone who wants to implement new GP2X controls, without all the tracing & soldering. I. Am. Loving. It.

Looking forward to super-gp2x project updates. :)

OK, after a lot more work I have the TV tweaker working a lot better. I will release a new version before I leave this week (for a month).

My problem is PAL.. I am shooting in the dark because I don't have a PAL TV, so I am going to see what I can do.

Regarding the problems with Mame and Pocketsnes tvout: These are the same problem and have been fixed.

Regarding the problem with Lemonboy2X: It does weird stuff with the YUV layers (pretty strange for a GP2X game) so I had to add a new bit of code to deal with it. In the future, you will select the "Tweak YUV" option for it.

Regarding the GnuBoy2X sound problem: Enable the "Frame Limiter" option (hit select on the ROM selection screen to enter the options).

Regarding GnGeo: Rage2X has a bug and crashes when Tvout mode is enabled. Not much I can do about it, I believe it is closed-source. It seems that a lot of emulator shells have bugs :( I create my own GnGeo wrapper scripts, personally. I've tried to get in touch with JyCet before about Enexfi and never got a response. Perhaps someone would be interested in getting in touch with Jycet and notifying him of the problem? The only solution I have for now is to select the GMenu2X link option to start the TV daemon even when not in TV mode. Be sure to also select "Enable wrapper". Then, start Rage2X without tv-mode enabled. Select the "Enable TV-out" option in Rage 2X. Then, launch your game. I also found that sometimes it's better to set vertical scaling to 88% because GnGeo does weird things with the vertical scaling sometimes. That seemed to be the magic number for me but I can't remember if later I had luck with 100% or not. What a headache :(

Regarding FBA and other emulators that use "Selector": Selector has a bug that causes the text of the roms to disappear. I'll see what I can do about that.

Is installation different if you were already on a previous DR of Open2X?

I'm not currently having much luck. The GP2X keeps getting stuck on "Loading Userspace"

Hi :)
'Senor Quack' said:
Try another card..
I've tried another card, same brand though, and it still doesn't work :(

I have an F200 B and it will read my 2GB generic SD card I got as a promotion when booted. But it will not whatsoever recognize that same card when I try to update the firmware off it.

It seems to be the same problem I have...

My F100 will flash off that card just fine.

I can no longer tell as I gave a friend my F100 a year ago, it works fine with FW 2.1.1, so I doubt he will accept to update it...

But the second I use my Transcend 2GB and 4GB cards they work fine.

I will try to find a cheap Transcend card and see if it works :)
Bye and thanks for your work on Open2X !
Magic Sam

On my F200 I have found that I can only upgrade firmwares with a FAT16-formatted card.

'PokeParadox' said:
Is installation different if you were already on a previous DR of Open2X?

I'm not currently having much luck. The GP2X keeps getting stuck on "Loading Userspace"
Installation is described in the readme file, make sure you follow all the steps. I think other people had this problem and it came down to a corrupt download of the firmware files. Try re-downloading and putting them on a freshly-formatted SD card, just to be completely on the safe side.

Once again my many thanks for this fantastic piece of software, it feels so refined and complete :)

'Orkie' said:
On my F200 I have found that I can only upgrade firmwares with a FAT16-formatted card.
It works !!! Thank you very much Orkie :)
Bye, Magic Sam

Ok, first thank you for this release. I tried wind and water and yes it works, but I notice the audio to be out of sync, it has a delay, is there a way of fix this with the current open2x options?. thanks.

EDIT: Sometimes I can't add links or sections, I turned on the save links on SD feature.

'bacteria' said:
Tried it on Firmware 4.1 on my GP2x F100; didn't update the firmware, stayed on the GPH title screen.
It should definitely be compatible. Have you tried different SDs yet and have you tried formatting them as FAT16 as Orkie suggested? Uboot can be quite picky with SDs and filesystems, it seems..

'bacteria' said:
Tried it on Firmware 4.1 on my GP2x F100; didn't update the firmware, stayed on the GPH title screen.
Same firmware, Same GP2X, i'll give it a try later tonight. Then come back with my report.

Update: No luck currently. :( Having the same issue as others: getting stuck at mount root fs, it's late now, so i'll try again tomorrow.

I have a 128MB SD card that i've used about 4 times to upgrade my F100 with. It worked with official firmwares, and Dr4. However with this new release it didn't work. So definitely try another card if it doesn't upgrade!

Hi,

My thoughts about Open2x DR6 on F200:

+ boot time ~15 seconds :)
+ uptime is a nice idea
+ GP2X seems to be faster now
+ F200 sound problems are history !

- no battery indicator ?
- navigation with stylus is quite hard :(
- gmu lacks its gmu-setup.gpu, useful for F200 users (gp2x-f200.keymap)
- Language settings always default to English after a reboot

Anyway, I like this release a lot, it is so much better than the official FW 4.0 !
Thanks to everyone involved in this project :)

Bye, Magic Sam

EDIT: removed my comments about scummvm, it works actually if you reconfigure all your games :)

Back