Release [OpenBeta] - Sabre Fighter Plane Simulator

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Hi,

Here is an Open beta of Sabre, a Fighter Plane Simulator.

screenshot1.pngscreenshot2.pngscreenshot3.pngscreenshot4.png

The PND is working, but it's not finished.

Yet, some feedback and testing could be usefull at this stage, so I publish it just here.

Here is beta1: sabre.pnd

What's implemented:

• Menu to choose mission, demo, screensize, some controls
  • Nubs are set to Joystick mode
  • By default, games use both Nubs (left for Yoke, right for Rudder and Engine).
  • Fullscreen mode, and Pandora resolution
  • All logic looks ok

What's missing:

• The Engine command, on the Up/Right Right Nubs doesn't feels ok. To be 100%, you have to keep the right nub full up. I think a Power+/- is better.
  • No sound. I'll try to implement some SDL_mixer sound.
  • I didn't use Notaz SDL for now. I haven't tested yet. So windowed mode will work as windowed. I think I will switch to omapdss, I don't think windowed mode to be usefull on the Pandora.
  • The Panel bitmap seems to showup only on lowres screen (like 320x200). I have to look at that.
  • The mapping is the default one. Look at the key.txt (using the integrated launcher) to see it. It's far from optimal for the Pandora.
  • Because the Pandora Joystick has no buttons, I'm not even sure you can fire with Joystick for Yoke.
  • I should hide the mouse cursor.

Please test and report.

Attachments

• sabre.pnd
    4.6 MB · Views: 184
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am Dan Hammer who wrote the freeware Sabre Fighter Plane Simulator for Linux back in the 90s! I just stumbled upon this. This looks like it is based on that?

If so I am very excited and happy to see it working on another platform, though I am not familiar at all with what Pandora is?

I would be happy to answer any questions about the code if you like (its a mess I know it was my first attempt at a game with 3d graphics/physics etc).

Are you able to run all the scenarios/demos? 

"Panel Bitmap": Originally it was only 320x200 resolution so the cockpit graphic ("Panel bitmap")? only "fits" that size.

I hope to see more screenshots!

Hi, I am Dan Hammer who wrote the freeware Sabre Fighter Plane Simulator for Linux back in the 90s! I just stumbled upon this. This looks like it is based on that?

If so I am very excited and happy to see it working on another platform, though I am not familiar at all with what Pandora is?

I would be happy to answer any questions about the code if you like (its a mess I know it was my first attempt at a game with 3d graphics/physics etc).

"Panel Bitmap": Originally it was only 320x200 resolution so the cockpit graphic ("Panel bitmap")? only "fits" that size.

Oh wow!  Welcome!  This may give you a little start on the OpenPandora http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

Hi!

I'm happy to have you here!

This game is very complex! That's an impressive piece of work!

It is working very well, and I can run scenario and all.

I still have to adapt the controls. The Pandora has 2 mini-joysticks (call "nubs") that I use, but thoses joystick has no buttons, so I think I still have to remap a few things.

I think the only thing issing in current state is sound. I started adding sound with sdl_mixer (I found the sound server, but that look complicated for sound, and it doesn't work out-of-the box anyway).

If you don't mind, maybe I can put the sources (of the Pandora port) on a repo on github (they were a bit difficult to found)?

Also maybe Ingoreis could do a short video of the gameplay?

Hi!

I still have to adapt the controls. The Pandora has 2 mini-joysticks (call "nubs") that I use, but thoses joystick has no buttons, so I think I still have to remap a few things.

I think the only thing issing in current state is sound. I started adding sound with sdl_mixer (I found the sound server, but that look complicated for sound, and it doesn't work out-of-the box anyway).

If you don't mind, maybe I can put the sources (of the Pandora port) on a repo on github (they were a bit difficult to found)?

Well thanks :) ... it was a "learning experience" for sure. Other projects and commitments had/have taken me away from being able to work further on it, it is wonderful to see it here!

You may certainly put the sources up, I am happy to have them shared!

Regarding sound, I did work sound into the windows version, here is a link to the last windows version:

http://www.danhammer.org/sabre_fps_dev.zip

The source is in the dev folder. So if you look on simsnd.h, simsnd.c and wndsndx.h,wndsndx.c you might get some idea how to implement (the simsnd.c,h is the "abstract" layer, you would substitute winsndx.c winsndx.h for the pandora platform equivalents.). You will also find .wav files in lib\WAV (though they could use some better sounds, especially the voice-overs!!)

There is also some joystick code, which may or may not be appropriate for adapting to the Pandora. You can find it in input.h,winjoy.cpp, sabrewin.cpp::initJoystick()

I am curious how do you develop on this platform? Is there a development environment that runs directly on it, or do you use some sort of emulator/dev environment on another machine?

Thank you for your efforts in giving Sabre a new home! I will check back here periodically to see how things are going!

You can develop with full code::blocks pnd on the device itself or you can use a crosscompilertoolchain on your linux PC.

There really is no limit in what you can do, as it runs on completely open software without restrictions.

Welcome to the boards.

Hi!

Well thanks :) ... it was a "learning experience" for sure. Other projects and commitments had/have taken me away from being able to work further on it, it is wonderful to see it here!

You may certainly put the sources up, I am happy to have them shared!

Regarding sound, I did work sound into the windows version, here is a link to the last windows version:

http://www.danhammer.org/sabre_fps_dev.zip

The source is in the dev folder. So if you look on simsnd.h, simsnd.c and wndsndx.h,wndsndx.c you might get some idea how to implement (the simsnd.c,h is the "abstract" layer, you would substitute winsndx.c winsndx.h for the pandora platform equivalents.). You will also find .wav files in lib\WAV (though they could use some better sounds, especially the voice-overs!!)

There is also some joystick code, which may or may not be appropriate for adapting to the Pandora. You can find it in input.h,winjoy.cpp, sabrewin.cpp::initJoystick()

I am curious how do you develop on this platform? Is there a development environment that runs directly on it, or do you use some sort of emulator/dev environment on another machine?

Thank you for your efforts in giving Sabre a new home! I will check back here periodically to see how things are going!
Thanks for all this. I'll take a look at the Windows source and try do to something with the sound (and joystick).

For development, as Mcobit said, you can do be crosscompiling or directly on Pandora itself. I develop on the Pandora itself, using when I can my PC (with some SSH & Samba) to have bigger screen and full sized mouse/keyboard.

*EDIT*: Oh. Windows sources looks much more recent. There are plenty of sounds, and it seems 3D support (with D3D). That will take some time to analyse and merge that, but that looks good :)

Back