Pandora Opengl Es Drivers & Sdl For Pandora

TomCooksey

Still Fresh
Two questions:

1. What OpenGL ES drivers can we expect on the Pandora? Just the standard PowerVR SGX "NULL" driver, or a driver integrated with KDrive?

2. Has anyone started to port SDL to OpenGL ES / EGL yet?

I have made a start on (2) using SDL 1.2 as a base. I'm using the PowerVR SGX PC emulation driver (http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/sdk/KhronosOpenGLES2xSGX.asp) and have been modifying the X11 backend's gl functions to use EGL calls instead of GLX. If we get a driver integrated with kdrive, I think this can be used unmodified on the device. I think porting to the NULL GL driver will probably invlole adding GL functions to SDL's linuxfb video back end, but this doesn't look too difficult, only a few hundred LOC. I will try and do this once I have it working on PC emulation, unless someone else is already working on it?

I'm also keep to re-vamp SDL's "Qtopia" back end and make it work with the latest Qt/Embedded, including all the GL ES work I'm doing as part of my day job.

Just to wet the appitite a bit, I'm using ioquake3 as a test application for SDL. :rolleyes:

Good to see that someone is working on OpenGL ES, might save me some work ;).

I've have a little play with the PowerVR SDK on my Linux machine, with the eventual aim of porting homeworldSDL to OpenGL ES 2.0 but for the moment I'm just trying to get it to run on the ARM with a software OpenGL lib.

As my OpenGL knowledge is small and my OpenGL ES 2 knowledge even less I thought it would be a good exercise to port the NeHe OpenGL tut's to OpenGL ES 2. This would not only help me learn OpenGL & OpenGL ES 2 and the differences (which will help when porting OpenGL games to OpenGL ES 2), but provide a good resource to the Pandora community for those who want to learn OpenGL ES 2.

linuxhacker said:
I've have a little play with the PowerVR SDK on my Linux machine, with the eventual aim of porting homeworldSDL to OpenGL ES 2.0 but for the moment I'm just trying to get it to run on the ARM with a software OpenGL lib.
Which software lib are you using? Mesa3D or an OpenGL ES software lib?

Last edited by a moderator:
linuxhacker said:
As my OpenGL knowledge is small and my OpenGL ES 2 knowledge even less I thought it would be a good exercise to port the NeHe OpenGL tut's to OpenGL ES 2. This would not only help me learn OpenGL & OpenGL ES 2 and the differences (which will help when porting OpenGL games to OpenGL ES 2), but provide a good resource to the Pandora community for those who want to learn OpenGL ES 2.

Yes very good idea :)

i began to learn also OpenGL ES , but for now the lib of imgtec doesn't work very well for my "damn" graphics card ATI , i can't see textures under Linux ( for windows is okay with the personnal fix send by imgtec :wub: )

and i am a little rusted in compiling under linux :p ( since .... 1994 :p year of born of my first child ;) )

from imgtec :
Marque Pierre Sondergaard a écrit :
> Dear Isabelle,
>
> We receive a lot of interest about the Pandora project. A lot of us are gamers at heart, so on a personal level we are also very interested in it.
>
> To answer your question, the SGX core in the OMAP3 series is compliant with OpenGL ES 2.0, not the normal OpenGL 2.0.
>
> Good luck with it, and when you have something to show, we'd love to take a look at it, perhaps suggesting a few performance enhances here and there.
>
> Thanks

;)

Which software lib are you using? Mesa3D or an OpenGL ES software lib?

I'm trying to use the klimt software lib with it's OpenGL interface.

Yes very good idea :)

Thanks, just the small matter of finding the time ;)

Good to see that imgtec are showing some interest. I have to admit that I haven't come across any OpenGL ES 2 games or tuts (other then PowerVR) so I would imagine that they would be quite interested in seeing some software that really show the capability's of the GPU.

I would like to know, if OpenGL ES 2.0 is only good for "3D things" or for 2D stuff to. Can OpenGL ES 2.0 accelerate 2D Games/Emulators to (like DOSBOX or MAME etc..) ?

fusion_power said:
I would like to know, if OpenGL ES 2.0 is only good for "3D things" or for 2D stuff to. Can OpenGL ES 2.0 accelerate 2D Games/Emulators to (like DOSBOX or MAME etc..) ?
It can accelerate 2D applications: it can scale the image without cpu use, and if desired, with filtering.

Dosbox, at least for linux, already have opengl acceleration. And xmame.

Tom Cooksey said:
Two questions:

1. What OpenGL ES drivers can we expect on the Pandora? Just the standard PowerVR SGX "NULL" driver, or a driver integrated with KDrive?

2. Has anyone started to port SDL to OpenGL ES / EGL yet?
From what ive heard the PowerVR will be accessiable through a binary blob and the SDL just is in works. You need to get in touch with DJwillis, he is the guy that is focusing on some of these things.

I've looked at the PowerVR specs, and there is this thing called OpenVG ;) ;) (for 2D applications, more info on Khronos.org)

Yup, OpenVG is very interesting to Qt because it maps to Qt's QPainter API very well (much better than OpenGL does). OpenVG is also likely to require a lot less power than full programmable 3D, saving battery life.

Tom Cooksey said:
OpenVG is also likely to require a lot less power than full programmable 3D, saving battery life.

Given that it uses the same hardware resources, I don't think this is likely.

Back