OpenPandora 2 Donation Fund

Not a horrible idea.. I'd throw money into it... even if it does nothing but give ED a little interest for the next 18 months

Last edited by a moderator:
It was also a learning experience for MWeston I think. The things learned from the first Pandora should help him better design any P2: different placement for the wifi chip plus shielding, and a charge chip that can at least do basic arithmetic so we don't have to rely on the CPU for EVERYTHING. :p

Could a Pandora 2 Donation fund send the wrong message to potential buyers (of P1) ? Seeing that money is already collected for the new device they may think that they should wait a little longer...

I wouldn't think so.  OPT should make it clear that the Fund is for buiding a prototype.  Tell them they should still buy the P1 as the real P2 will not be around anytime soon.  Just like people still buy CC Pandoras now.  Maybe the Pandora 2 should not be marketed as a successor to P1 but rather should be a different model.  Like the CC P1 will the the Basic Pandora, 1GHz Pandora will be the Professional version, and the P2 would be the Ultimate version (someting like Windows versions  :D ).  You can cater to different type of users this way and won't put any Pandoras versions out of date.  I think.

Understood.  But what's wrong with setting up Pandora 2 donation fund?  It's not like you force people to give money.   Who wanna give give.  Who doesn't wanna give don't give.  But you'd never know how many people would donate to "Pandora 2" donation fund until you set it up.  I'll be the first  :D
Personally to start a donation fund for the "Pandora 2" at this point would just make a bunch of possible Pandora 1 customer back off from ordering till #2 comes out.

At the price-point this device is, if there are serious signs that a better, faster, more awesome successor is in the works, a whole lot of people (including me) will prefer to wait.

But it also says "...When done correctly, the sales or cash flow impact to the company is minimal..."  Now, we just have to figure how to do that  :D  

It strikes me that anyone who wants to contribute towards a device that hasn't even been designed yet and may never be designed is more of a fool that those of us who preordered a Pandora from Craig.

It strikes me that anyone who wants to contribute towards a device that hasn't even been designed yet and may never be designed is more of a fool that those of us who preordered a Pandora from Craig.
It's the "chicken-or-egg" problem right?  We all would like to see P2, but then no one want to take the risk and contribute for it's development.  So how can the project gets started?  I agree with you it's a risk, but I would contribute to ED for a P2 but I would not contribute if Craig has any involvement.  

EDIT:  I would DEFINITELY contribute to ED since he's a trustworthy guy.  He even helps to clear out Craig's Pre-order mess.  Even just to see a prototype, I'm happy  ;)

Not really. This is before mummy and daddy chicken even decided to do the devil with two backs. Bear in mind the Pandora experience for ED hasn't all been sweetness and light, and while this forum often behaves like a P2 will be an automatic project, until ED selects appropriate components and commits to going through all this again I would caution against anything more than idle speculation.

At the end of the day it's your money though.

I know ED said that P2 will probably happens once he has sold enough Pandoras to recoup. So if you want this to happen faster it's simple. Create a donation funds where all the money can be used to lower the price of the current Pandoras :p

I'd take a half price brand new 1GHz unit subsidized by whoever wants to give money to the fund any day ;)

Back