Openpandorasales@gmail.com

chame said:
Schnatterplatsch said:
Heck?
Battery? It's "insanelly" great. -> yeah, and insanely costly. from my experience it last more than 24 hours of continous gaming, totally unnecessary

"3D hardware is barely used in the ports", but I doubt that Mupen and PCSXReARMed would run without it. Or am I mistaken? -> those and quake ports. thats it. the rest 99% of appz do not use any 3D. I also want a car like this, but there are limits like price and usability that prevent those things to come up

"the internal 500MB NAND is not needed in my opinion", so you want to deliver the pandora without an OS or force the user to install his own OS and block one SD Card slot all the time? Btw. I'd love to have 1GB - nice for devtools on it. -> just boot from SD. a SD is mandatory for any panda user. I do not know any panda user without external SD, so whats the difference? panda has only few MB free anyway...
I would not think that 500MB NAND has put an economic hit on the project. Doesn't having the various OS on the NAND improves overall performance because its static versus an SD card? I've never tried booting from an SD card, so I don't know any differently than the NAND.

Last edited by a moderator:
chame said:
Schnatterplatsch said:
Heck?
Battery? It's "insanelly" great. -> yeah, and insanely costly. from my experience it last more than 24 hours of continous gaming, totally unnecessary

"3D hardware is barely used in the ports", but I doubt that Mupen and PCSXReARMed would run without it. Or am I mistaken? -> those and quake ports. thats it. the rest 99% of appz do not use any 3D. I also want a car like this, but there are limits like price and usability that prevent those things to come up

"the internal 500MB NAND is not needed in my opinion", so you want to deliver the pandora without an OS or force the user to install his own OS and block one SD Card slot all the time? Btw. I'd love to have 1GB - nice for devtools on it. -> just boot from SD. a SD is mandatory for any panda user. I do not know any panda user without external SD, so whats the difference? panda has only few MB free anyway...

All fair points, but aren't you basically saying they should just have made a GPH console? Yeah, the 3D was only used in a few programs, but those few programs were killer apps for a lot of people. If they were just offering 2D gaming and a low battery life, everyone would have said "screw that" and bought a Wiz or Caanoo instead.

chame said:
for me, the panda design is too expensive the way it is.
So don't get it. For me and many others, the design contains all the features we want, and cutting the features you're suggesting would not only not save as much money as you think it would, but it would also narrow the field of users.
Not only that, but you're suggestions are nearly impossible. It's not like there's some 3D chip they can just stop populating: it is built right into the SoC, and to try to find a SoC without a 3D system in the mistaken belief it would save significant amounts of money would require a completely new design of board and software. Given that most SoCs are coming with 3D standard now, finding such a chip would probably be a step backwards in development, not forward. Can't remove the NAND either: it comes PoP with the RAM and is only available in certain values. They could have gone with a 256/256, and maybe there's even a 128/256 package (though I doubt it) but they'd still have to have taken at least some sort of NAND, and the cost difference between the 256/256 and 512/256 is not so great that it would be worth the problems it would cause, in my opinion. Let's suppose they did make it just OS on SD card. How do you copy files onto that SD card? You can't remove it, can't even unmount it to put it into external storage mode. The only thing you could do would be to shut down, pop it into your desktop, copy things over, then reinsert it and boot up again. Or you could have two SD cards, since the Pandora supports it, but then you're either wasting a lot of space on your OS card, or you're wasting a lot of time copying files twice, first to your second SD card and then over to your OS card live.

You all are right. but please dont center in the HW cutting comment. It is only a possible solution for the low_income_per_unit of the panda project. (And after all maybe the HW change is the less of the problems).

I just wanted to emphasize that in my opinion panda cannot survive the way it was born and radical changes should be taken (actually several areas apart from HW, like management, marketing, and bussiness model in general).

The project is too ambitious in terms of people, budget, resources, income, quantities and dates

Refund requested May 26th.

Response received May 29th saying they will send out the refund cheque.

July 5th, NOTHING.

That's abit scary but more than likely a clerical error in all the chaos, rather than a conspiracy to keep your cash.

If you can get the phone number (perhaps PM Craigix on the official forum) as I cant find it on the website, you should ring through and see whats going on. Craig has recently said that they will get back to people by phone(even if you have to leave a message when you ring, as they aren't always manning the phone, given how busy and short staffed they are) and email but they are currently behind. Yours is way behind, so I suggest you chase it up for your own resolution.

Back