Openttd Port

MistaGiggles

Still Fresh
OpenTTD for the pandora!

The fantastic transport tycoon game can now be played from your pandora, still a WIP but it quite playable already.
This is just an initial port, I plan on making the GUI better for the pandora but I'm hoping that won't break multiplayer.

If you have any suggestions at all please post them in this thread.

Multiplayer works! Remember to tell all the other players that you are on a pandora ;)

Issues:

Touchscreen sync issues in fullscreen (best way to play is through minimenu, with a maximised window)

Enjoy!

Download:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,107

OLD OP:

I managed to get openttd compiled for the pandora, and everything is working perfectly.
I'd like to get a pnd made and uploaded later on today (not got the time this morning, so if anyone can give links to pnd resources that would save a lot of time later). Still needs to be optimized for the pandora screen, and I've already noticed some strange touchscreen calibration issues but I'll fix those a bit later.

Watch this space!

Multiple games have the touchscreen issue - that usually happens if you scale the graphics output but don't scale the touchscreen input.
So it goes out of calibration.

AFAIK also using foreign (non-X) mousepointers does this.

If you don't run it fullscreen but windowed, it should work fine.

For a Quick (and dirty) PND-Packaging, check this page on the Wiki

You can use the included PXML as template, but AFAIK dflemstrem has a way better one with all options you simply need to edit or remove :)

You can also use the Wiki as reference for creating PXMLs

Be sure to use the correct categories! They follow the Freedesktop standards

Heh, well that explains it, I keep on accidentally using Games instead of Game... well, next betas I throw up should be fixed then :p

Ok, got the pnd done, but for some reason it's saving in the home directory. Are the appdata folders done through software? Or should it be part of the pnd stuff?

MistaGiggles said:
Ok, got the pnd done, but for some reason it's saving in the home directory. Are the appdata folders done through software? Or should it be part of the pnd stuff?

You can write a script where you unset home :)
For example, I do:

Code:
HOME="./"; export HOME
./executable

Last edited:
MistaGiggles said:
I managed to get openttd compiled for the pandora, and everything is working perfectly.
I'd like to get a pnd made and uploaded later on today (not got the time this morning, so if anyone can give links to pnd resources that would save a lot of time later). Still needs to be optimized for the pandora screen, and I've already noticed some strange touchscreen calibration issues but I'll fix those a bit later.

Watch this space!
Cool, which Version of OpenTTD? Last one? :)
Does the Auto-Downloader work onto the Pandora, so you can download Game-content directly from within the Game? ^^
Does already the 32Bit Graphics replacement work? Would be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
MistaGiggles said:

Watch this space!
Cool, which Version of OpenTTD? Last one? :)
Does the Auto-Downloader work onto the Pandora, so you can download Game-content directly from within the Game? ^^
Does already the 32Bit Graphics replacement work? Would be cool.
Latest stable build
Downloader works :)
32bbp should work, does that need to go into data? if it does try making a data directory in it's appdata and see if that works.

No sound or legacy save support yet, I'll get that in asap.

@ED: I've requested upload access on the app store, can I get verified? Thanks

On the file archive:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,107

Did you package it with the free graphics, music and sound effects? It would be very convenient for the average user to have that stuff in the PND already.

Also, if you do any UI changes for mobile devices, please try to get them into the official codebase so that we can simply compile future versions. This is also very important for cross platform multiplayer, especially the crazy OpenTTD Coop games, where you often need a specific nightly build to participate.
For past and present efforts on other portable devices, see:
http://wiki.openttd.org/Portable_device_version
Most of them have been quick hacks, it would be great if we could get the Pandora to actually be officially supported like the guy doing the DS version was (is?) trying to do.

I can't wait to play OpenTTD on my Pandora. Great that it'll already be there when I finally get my device! :)

MistaGiggles said:
@ED: I've requested upload access on the app store, can I get verified? Thanks

That's something only Craig can do, you need to contact him, sorry.

Last edited:
OrR said:
Did you package it with the free graphics, music and sound effects? It would be very convenient for the average user to have that stuff in the PND already.

Also, if you do any UI changes for mobile devices, please try to get them into the official codebase so that we can simply compile future versions. This is also very important for cross platform multiplayer, especially the crazy OpenTTD Coop games, where you often need a specific nightly build to participate.
For past and present efforts on other portable devices, see:
http://wiki.openttd.org/Portable_device_version
Most of them have been quick hacks, it would be great if we could get the Pandora to actually be officially supported like the guy doing the DS version was (is?) trying to do.

I can't wait to play OpenTTD on my Pandora. Great that it'll already be there when I finally get my device! :)

OpenGFX is included and OpenGFX/OpenMusic are available through the content downloader.
Though to be honest, playing on the pandora is pretty good. I might sit down later tonight and start playing a serious single player game and see how it goes. If it's good enough I might set up some scripts to automatically take the nightly builds, compile, package then upload them somewhere.

Cool. I played ALOT OpenTTD in the Past onto my PC. I also tried it onto the GP2X F100 but of course without Touchscreen and only 320x240 it was not that useful.
But since I've preordered the Pandora I have OpenTTD in mind to play it on that Handheld. Does this Version supports the full 800x480 Pixel? (Wiedscreen OpenTTD :D )
I'm not mad about using 32Bit Gfx because this seems to be very Processor stressing, especialy onto the Pandora. But as long the classic 8-Bit Mode works, I'm happy. There are beautiful GFX Packs for OpenTTD. :)

Now, someone just have to make a FreeCIV Port. ^^

fusion_power said:
Cool. I played ALOT OpenTTD in the Past onto my PC. I also tried it onto the GP2X F100 but of course without Touchscreen and only 320x240 it was not that useful.
But since I've preordered the Pandora I have OpenTTD in mind to play it on that Handheld. Does this Version supports the full 800x480 Pixel? (Wiedscreen OpenTTD :D )
I'm not mad about using 32Bit Gfx because this seems to be very Processor stressing, especialy onto the Pandora. But as long the classic 8-Bit Mode works, I'm happy. There are beautiful GFX Packs for OpenTTD. :)

Now, someone just have to make a FreeCIV Port. ^^
Erm look on the filearchive for freeciv;)

OpenTTD not ported by zodttd? That's blasphemy! :p
I remember him porting this to every game system possible, be it pc, console, handheld system, fridge, toaster or washing machine, whatever.

On a more serious note, great that we have this jewel game now on our Pandy :) Now that one just needs to arrive...
Anyone with a Pandy tested multiplayer yet?

Wolfsclaw said:
OpenTTD not ported by zodttd? That's blasphemy! :p
I remember him porting this to every game system possible, be it pc, console, handheld system, fridge, toaster or washing machine, whatever.

On a more serious note, great that we have this jewel game now on our Pandy :) Now that one just needs to arrive...

hmm, linux washing machine....
Someone get on it! :p

Wolfsclaw said:

I tested it myself an hour ago, it works :D you can join any server running the latest stable build (as you can on the pc)

Hey great stuff...working great so far...though i won't start playing properly until sound support...very distracting without sound!!
Also i know its a strange request, but is there any chance of a lower resolution mode. i know 800x480 looks great but i'm wondering how much eye strain i'm gonna get after a while! Plus i know you can zoom in and out, but even at the closest settings its a little fiddly selecting icons etc and what with touchscreens not being 100% accurate...i know btw you cant please everyone lol

For some reason the sound is working now, might be due to a reboot but at least that is a problem solved :)
If you want to use the original windows graphics, just make a data directory in "appdata/openttd/.openttd/" and put the files in there as according to the OpenTTD wiki install page. (and for the 32bbp graphics)

Also screenshot

Text is about the same size as any other text on the pandora (ie in the browser) and even the tiny map text is readable without strain.

Back