Opinions on this smarttop?

bustaballs

http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/efika

This is a very tiny "smarttop" computer being sold for about $130. I'm looking for some computers that might work well for an internet cafe. The specs seem to be similar to the Pandora or slightly better so I was hoping this running Linux or Android would work well for basic internet browsing.

I'm replacing some very very old thin clients (with no server) that either don't work at all or don't work well enough to continue using. If this computer isn't good enough, are there some other inexpensive tiny computers out there that would work well in an internet cafe setting that you can recommend?

Looks interesting. I don't know if it's of any use, but if space is your primary concern, then you might want to look at some of the computers that contain all of the hardware at the back of the screen. There are a number of macs that are built like this, but my university also has some that are made by lenovo to a more PC-like spec.

If price is your main concern, then the product you linked to also seems to be suitable to some extent, however there is always the risk that a smaller piece of hardware can be stolen a lot easier, while an older model of computer (even refurbished or second-hand, schools and universities often sell off their old equipment in batch lots) woud probably work out cheaper and less attractive to those less honest individuals. However, it would also make your internet cafe look somewhat outdated.

It all really depends on what compromises you are willing to make between physical size, cost, and hardware specifications.

I'm looking for something not much bigger than that machine but I don't want the price to be above $200. I'll be mounting them under the table somehow.

I'm looking for something not much bigger than that machine but I don't want the price to be above $200.
In that case it's basically those or excess inventory businesses are clearing. Nettops only really drop below that pricepoint if they're basically just a chassis and board, lacking the RAM to even operate as a thin client.

Back