Original 3d Games For The Pandora?

maxz

Still Fresh
I've been checking out the developer forum seeing if there are any game projects going on and so far I've only seen 2d / low-graphics games there. The RPG Dragons_Slayer is making looks really cool and artsy though.

Since the Pandora is indeed the most powerful handheld system soon to be available, it would be nice if someone made a 3d game with a efficient engine specifically optimized for the Pandora to show off it's graphical prowess. A game along the lines of Serious Sam would be awesome, but it can be another genre too I don't mind.

Anyway, if there is already a thread on this, I apologize and ask for this post to be merged with that thread.

Well I'm working on a mmofpsrpg (or MFR for short) called illinc that will be in 3D (it'll be based off the same engine that runs endlessages-the auraV3)

I'm working on a 3D action/RPG game, which will take advantage of the Pandora's power.
It'll be out in two months.

Tobs

Honestly I don't expect much for releases that even start to push the device tell... you know the thing exists in a decent number of developers hands. Before then the best we can get is ports of stuff and projects started under a rough estimate of what the devs think the thing is capable of. (or they could buy a beagleboard, but i really don't expect alot of independent devs to do that unless they would've anyway). A few months after the device is released is when you'll really start to see a bunch of awesome projects becoming playable in some form.

It'll be out in two months.
TM? ... honestly I can't tell whether or not that's an actual prediction or whether you're just sarcastically saying "when it's done". But alas.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bit of both... not exactly serious.

I was expecting some demos and screenshots of games that are starting to look good about 2 months after release, and the release of some pretty fun games sometime after Christmas (or about 4-5 months after release).

Tobs

I'll also release a 3D Game soon.
I'm re-writing my texture generator right now. All the content is produceral so its quite challenging to write. If I was going with normal files I would be done by now I guess :p

I'm "working on" a game that will have 3D graphics. And I use the term "working on" very loosely because all I have so far is some data being assigned to variables. My programming prowess is a work in progress.

All I can say is... let us get PandoraPanic! out of the door first. Once that is done, you will see a nice game from me in glorious 3D polygon goodness.
I dunno if it will be oyur thing though, since it's not going to be Serious Sam-like in the slightest.

And I intend to do a remake of The Phantom Slayer on this little beast.

But it will take ages (I'm new to C/SDL/LinuX).

And it will be slow, ugly and rubbish. If I'm being honest.

So best not get too excited :D

I'd like to port Ballistic to the Pandora when I eventually get my hands on one (And I finish the game) but it's dependant on there being suitable 3D and physics engines.

The existing OGRE implementation is only GLES 1.x, And I'd need a GLES 2.x implementation for performance and shader effects. I'd love to see it on the Pandora though, its controls are brilliantly suited to the game.

An ARM build of Newton would also be required to keep the physics consistent.

ooh that is pretty! those environments really make me want to see some kind of Beast Wars based video game made. i loved the show and they have a reminiscent feel to them. also, if i remember the reviews correctly, the original Beast Wars game was apparently slightly lacking.

I'm working on a multiplayer FPS with dynamic generation of the levels by the players in the game. (Check out Squidi's "Stacked Fortress". But think about that in 3D. And as a FPS, CTF style.) Since most of the complex math and calculation for the dynamic content generation takes place on the server (and results get packaged and sent to the clients), the only complex stuff the Pandora would need to do would be talking to the server and processing graphics. If I have time, I'll try and get a Pandora release of the client out, but that's a maybe. I'm still in the VERY beginning stages of development (assigning values to variables and writing to log files), but I'll hopefully have something to show on the Pandora eventually.

So yeah, there are a number of 3D games for the Pandora in development. Not all of them are Pandora-exclusives, but there will be games that have Pandora releases as well as Linux/Windows/etc. releases - I'd consider those originals. (Originals because the Pandora version is released with or soon after the "standard" version, as opposed to a port way later.)

Vorporeal said:
I'm working on a multiplayer FPS with dynamic generation of the levels by the players in the game. (Check out Squidi's "Stacked Fortress". But think about that in 3D. And as a FPS, CTF style.) Since most of the complex math and calculation for the dynamic content generation takes place on the server (and results get packaged and sent to the clients), the only complex stuff the Pandora would need to do would be talking to the server and processing graphics. If I have time, I'll try and get a Pandora release of the client out, but that's a maybe. I'm still in the VERY beginning stages of development (assigning values to variables and writing to log files), but I'll hopefully have something to show on the Pandora eventually.

So yeah, there are a number of 3D games for the Pandora in development. Not all of them are Pandora-exclusives, but there will be games that have Pandora releases as well as Linux/Windows/etc. releases - I'd consider those originals. (Originals because the Pandora version is released with or soon after the "standard" version, as opposed to a port way later.)
I'm interested! I can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the others, it will be a bit before I begin to develop software. Once I have my hands on a Pandora, then I'll begin some work on stuff. However, I'm going to be predominately focused on certain types of apps for some of the uses I would use my Pandora for. Then I'll focus on some games and stuff. Maybe, a little of both would happen concurrently but as a singular individual who would have to create the graphics, fonts, sprites/bitmap objects, ect. - it won't be the impressive stuff that you see from larger sw teams.

I hope some of the open source fps games get ported. Yesterday I tried Assaultcube and it was great for only 40mb. It also has many servers and people playin so that won't be an issue.

I'd really like to see half life 1 on the pandora, which means possibly counter strike 1.6, ESF, team fortress classic etc, lets hope valve releases source code for it soon, after half life 3 comes out maybe? :p

Back