• Windows Vista

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CongoZombie said:
purple_goat said:
I hate OSX.
[snip] the fact that it crashes often and when it does crash there isnt a damn thing you can do about it.
I don't understand what you mean by that?

It crashed a couple times, sometimes in use, sometimes it would bug so I would shut it down, when i shut it down it wouldnt load back up

and i thought everyone knew you cant fix a mac yourself, you need to turn it into the mac store

..maybe you can fix it, but im not willing to hack and invest the time in something that wasnt good to begin with

does that explain what I meant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Linux FTW. I've got Debian Etch running on both my desktop and laptop, and they're both fast and rock solid stability wise. I don't have any problem with XP really, if you strip it down a bit. Vista is an absolute abomination.

Alex. said:
I use Windows XP - without any of the service packs, firewalls, anti-virus, or anti-spyware programs, and it's been running fast and stable on my Pentium 3 with 128MB RAM laptop for more than a year. When I'll get a new system I'll definitely install a Linux distribution on it, likely Kubuntu, but until then I'm happy with what I have, no complaints whatsoever. Unfortunately even the lighter-weight modern Linux distributions like Xubuntu need at least 192-256MB to install and run well, so for the present time they're out of the question for me :)
XP without any protection? You thrill seeker :lol:

Kubuntu is a good choice for your new PC, especially for devs, there are a lot of dev tools available for kde.
I do believe there is one distro you could use for your current PC. Pupeez http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28209 is designed for 300 Mhz Pentium with 128 Mb. You can try it without installing on your harddisk.
I have learned more about Linux from experimenting with Puppy than any other distro. It is just plain fun (when you consider tweaking and learning something new fun)

Prefered Desktop OS: Mac OSX
I switched from Windows and Linux about six months ago, and I've like my experience thus far... My hardware is a little goofy though.

Preferred Embedded OS: Linux
It's the de-facto standard and it's flexible.

Most Hated OS: Other
I only dislike Windows due to it's security flaws. That's it. Well, also many things are done better on other platforms. (I really like packages in Ubuntu.)

I use XP and Ubuntu. Most commercial games need 'doze :(, so I have to have my Wintendo. Also its good to use XP if you have to work with other people on something, as its most likely what they're used to.

Linux is good for doing work. There are some good games, too, though not as much as XP. The power and flexibility of Unix + the largest community, largest software library and best hardware support of all unix-likes = one happy geek. Whatever I need done, I can configure linux to do it. I can't say the same for windows, unless perhaps I spent thousands of dollars on software for every project I undertook (and this is just personal stuff so my budget is nearly $0 so that's a no-no). I've had problems with hardware support in the past, but in the past year the situation has improved dramatically. Hell I could probably even get my laptop's softmodem to work, if I gave a damn. A year and a half ago I didn't know a damn thing about linux, now I'm pretty well pleased with it.

What sucks though is having a slow internet connection and using Ubuntu. With Windows its bad enough but Ubuntu is always getting new updates (which isn't a bad thing, unless you're internet connection blows).

nickspoon said:
Goity said:
Linux: nothing works for it, you need to go into terminal every five seconds to do something to stop it going pissy, and nothing is available for it. Plus, every distro seems half done.
False, false, false and what?

I wouldn't bother nick! These types of threads always end the same way! :lol:

I seem to be hating OSX more and more as time goes on... OSX is like a thick white blanket, smothering the user until they hallucinate from lack of Oxygen, and see the Hand of God. If you try to tear away the blanket to do something a simple as find the root directory, it fights with you until you finally can take a gasp of air and see what it is your doing, but you can never defeat the OSX blanket. It quickly leaps onto your face and begins smothering again.

That's the best analogy I can come up with for how frustrated I get every time I try to do anything besides play music and watch quicktime videos on a Mac.

Linux for me, openSUSE 10.3 (11.0 in a month!) and KDE 4.

I don't mind Windows because at least it doesn't try to hide itself from the stupidity of most of its users, though I haven't been able to/or wanted to mess around with Vista.

purple_goat said:
I hate OSX.

I have tried to use it for school, and I have concluded that they are utter trash.
no compatibility, controls like your mouse is stuck in a pile of shit and the GUI actually looks pretty bad..
then there is also the fact that it crashes often and when it does crash there isnt a damn thing you can do about it.
i choose vista over osx (I'm on XP right now, my laptop is using vista/kubuntu, office desktop running kubuntu)
The mouse speed can easily be adjusted in your control panel - sounds like someone who used that computer before you slowed it down. I use OS X all the time - I work from home, so I'm on it no less than 8 hours a day - and usually more like 10 - 12. I never turn the computer off, as I am often downloading stuff. ***IT DOES NOT CRASH*** There are no viruses, no spyware, no adware, no trojans, no worms, no IE! I don't care why they aren't here ("Nobody uses OS X, so why attack it!" - that's bull, and even if it wasn't - I still don't care why. I just love the fact that there's nothing to worry about on my computer.)

Vista - on the other hand - sucks. I am okay with XP - I even have it running via VMWare on my MacBook - but Vista is crap. I was a beta tester for that, and even when Microsoft sent me the CD for free - I ended up switching back to XP in less than a month. I figured it was so slow, buggy, and just plain didn't recognize *anything* because it was a beta version.... Wrong. Almost 2 years since Vista's been out (to businesses for the first couple of months) and a Service Pack later - and it's still buggy, slow, and doesn't recognize shit.

I have friends - smart friends - techie friends - who went out and bought the latest laptop *** A YEAR AFTER VISTA CAME OUT *** and it had Vista pre-installed. After a MONTH of trying to get the BUILT-IN CAMERA to work - gave up, and installed XP. The camera was working just fine.

Now this computer *CAME WITH VISTA*. It wasn't one of those lying computers that was "Vista Capable" before it came out - Vista had been out over a year - and it was pre-installed by the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure it was HP. It was either them or some other big name, not emachines or Acer - but like one of the big 3. So it wasn't my friend's fault - it wasn't a trash manufacturer (well, it wasn't any more trash than any of the non-Apple computer makers) and it wasn't too early to expect the hardware to work. And, again, it worked with XP no problem - so it's not like it was some freaky strange webcam that needs special drivers or software to work.

I'd rather run ReactOS than Vista - at least when it doesn't work - you can say "Well, it's free, not supported by the biggest tech company in the world, and is working in the dark." And, it works more often than Vista.

I'd rather run Windows 95. At least when it doesn't recognize hardware you can say "This device was invented 5 years after this OS was discontinued."

I'd rather run DOS. I'd rather run Minnix. I'd rather run *anything* than Vista.

And so, I do. I have Mac OS X 10.5.2 as my main OS - Windows XP Pro SP2 on my VMWare - Kubuntu (the KDE 4 version) on VMWare - Classic Mac OS on SheepShaver - Maemo Tablet OS2008 on my N800. All of them - yes, even Classic Mac - are better than Vista.

{edit} Editted for language

Fru.T Bunn said:
nickspoon said:
Goity said:
Linux: nothing works for it, you need to go into terminal every five seconds to do something to stop it going pissy, and nothing is available for it. Plus, every distro seems half done.
False, false, false and what?

I wouldn't bother nick! These types of threads always end the same way! :lol:

internetargumentev0or3.jpg

chad78 said:
purple_goat said:
I hate OSX.

I have tried to use it for school, and I have concluded that they are utter trash.
no compatibility, controls like your mouse is stuck in a pile of shit and the GUI actually looks pretty bad..
then there is also the fact that it crashes often and when it does crash there isnt a damn thing you can do about it.
i choose vista over osx (I'm on XP right now, my laptop is using vista/kubuntu, office desktop running kubuntu)
The mouse speed can easily be adjusted in your control panel - sounds like someone who used that computer before you slowed it down. I use OS X all the time - I work from home, so I'm on it no less than 8 hours a day - and usually more like 10 - 12. I never turn the computer off, as I am often downloading stuff. ***IT DOES NOT CRASH*** There are no viruses, no spyware, no adware, no trojans, no worms, no IE! I don't care why they aren't here ("Nobody uses OS X, so why attack it!" - that's bull, and even if it wasn't - I still don't care why. I just love the fact that there's nothing to worry about on my computer.)

Vista - on the other hand - sucks. I am okay with XP - I even have it running via VMWare on my MacBook - but Vista is crap. I was a beta tester for that, and even when Microsoft sent me the CD for free - I ended up switching back to XP in less than a month. I figured it was so slow, buggy, and just plain didn't recognize *anything* because it was a beta version.... Wrong. Almost 2 years since Vista's been out (to businesses for the first couple of months) and a Service Pack later - and it's still buggy, slow, and doesn't recognize shit.

I have friends - smart friends - techie friends - who went out and bought the latest laptop *** A YEAR AFTER VISTA CAME OUT *** and it had Vista pre-installed. After a MONTH of trying to get the BUILT-IN CAMERA to work - gave up, and installed XP. The camera was working just fine.

Now this computer *CAME WITH VISTA*. It wasn't one of those lying computers that was "Vista Capable" before it came out - Vista had been out over a year - and it was pre-installed by the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure it was HP. It was either them or some other big name, not emachines or Acer - but like one of the big 3. So it wasn't my friend's fault - it wasn't a trash manufacturer (well, it wasn't any more trash than any of the non-Apple computer makers) and it wasn't too early to expect the hardware to work. And, again, it worked with XP no problem - so it's not like it was some freaky strange webcam that needs special drivers or software to work.

I'd rather run ReactOS than Vista - at least when it doesn't work - you can say "Well, it's free, not supported by the biggest tech company in the world, and is working in the dark." And, it works more often than Vista.

I'd rather run Windows 95. At least when it doesn't recognize hardware you can say "This device was invented 5 years after this OS was discontinued."

I'd rather run DOS. I'd rather run Minnix. I'd rather run *anything* than Vista.

And so, I do. I have Mac OS X 10.5.2 as my main OS - Windows XP Pro SP2 on my VMWare - Kubuntu (the KDE 4 version) on VMWare - Classic Mac OS on SheepShaver - Maemo Tablet OS2008 on my N800. All of them - yes, even Classic Mac - are better than Vista.

{edit} Editted for language

OS X does crash! Maybe yours doesn't. But for me it crashes. To say it 'never crashes' is just stupid. I have had it crash on me several times, and I only use a mac book every now and then. Maybe it's my fault. But it does crash.

It crashes. Sorry. Have I got this point over? To say it doesn't implies that what has happened to me was in fact a dream, or maybe I crashed onto an island and I don't exist. Who knows?

But it does crash.

HP *is* a crappy manufacturer, at least in my experience. It also seems that when they acquired Compaq they became almost twice as crappy.

My gosh chad78, you really have had some bad experiences with Vista.

I for one can vouch for Vista, we are a University that supplies all our new machines with different variants of Vista. From Laptops to High spec PCs and to be honest, since SP1 Vista is pretty good.

Now think back to when XP was first released, I bet more people hated the migration to that, as most people had 98 in those days, a non NT based OS!

Vista is just yet another migration...

Now before you point and shout "Vita Fangirl" I will say the following: Vista is a little flawed. I won't go into details but it could be better, a LOT better! My main gripe is navigation. You don't need to tell me that simply opening a folder, and to be able to access its files correctly should take a minute or more depending on how long it takes Vista to scan it's contents and gather icon information? Why doesn't the indexing service do that for you making your navigation through your data a breeze? If I have to do anything such as file copying I tend to use the command prompt as I can do it quicker. Definitely NOT good when I would use explorer in XP.

Oh another point, Vista is only going to be around for another year or two, the next Windows version (I think it's codename it Windows 7) will be out late 2009 or during 2010. I am looking forward to that as the kernel is based on MiniWin. If all goes as planned it will be a mega fast kernel that will make windows are very awesome OS indeed.

WarmFluffyUK said:
If all goes as planned it will be a mega fast kernel that will make windows are very awesome OS indeed.
Just like Linux you mean? lean, fast, expandable, secure :)

Oh wait.. no, not free and open. Nah.. I will keep using Xubuntu. Thanks anyway.

b_o_b said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
If all goes as planned it will be a mega fast kernel that will make windows are very awesome OS indeed.
Just like Linux you mean? lean, fast, expandable, secure :)

Oh wait.. no, not free and open. Nah.. I will keep using Xubuntu. Thanks anyway.

Yeah just like Linux, but with industry support and lots of games and more software and drivers developed for it.

:)

Back