Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

evol said:
http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=1918143
http://www.yinlips.com/_en/products_show.asp?id=621
http://www.itechnews.net/2008/05/19/kl-pc7...top/#more-10651
http://www.itechnews.net/2008/04/25/3k-com...top/#more-10299

(they are not arm but mips)

KL-PC701 is yet another EeePC challenger. It is powered by a XBurst 400MHz processor, 128MB RAM and 512MB Flash memory. KL-PC701 runs Linux OS and comes with a 7-inch LCD display and support for WiFi connectivity. There is also a SD card slot. It is priced at $195.

That's a somewhat contradictory paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Oh another point, Vista is only going to be around for another year or two, the next Windows version (I think it's codename it Windows 7) will be out late 2009 or during 2010. I am looking forward to that as the kernel is based on MiniWin. If all goes as planned it will be a mega fast kernel that will make windows are very awesome OS indeed.
Yeah, right. Unless they Longhorn it until 2015 - and drop 90% of the features - like WinFS, for example. I wouldn't be surprised if "MiniWin" is one of those "unimportant features" they cut to release "on time" (meaning 4 years late).
I have graciously allowed me to quote myself, for which, I am humbled and thankful.

Now - within 2 weeks of my prediction.... MinWin is *NOT* a part of Windows 7.

Here's the quote:QUOTE
The official word from Microsoft’s Windows Engineering Chief Steven Sinofsky seems to be that MinWin — the slimmed-down Windows core many expected to be at the heart of Windows 7 — is not going to be part of Windows 7.
Thank you very much. I also do Palm readings. Not the palm of your hand, but Palm PDAs.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Oh another point, Vista is only going to be around for another year or two, the next Windows version (I think it's codename it Windows 7) will be out late 2009 or during 2010. I am looking forward to that as the kernel is based on MiniWin. If all goes as planned it will be a mega fast kernel that will make windows are very awesome OS indeed.

All microsoft has done to their kernel since Win2k is bugfixes and SATA drivers. This may be a bit of a shocker to some, but Under the hood Windows Vista / XP -IS- Windows 2000. You keep band-aiding an OS like that and no wonder it uses a ton of memory. What makes you think they will do a reasonable rewrite now? Not to mention that Win64 is a hack. All kinds of weird shit happens in Win64 when a 32 bit program runs off into 64 bit addressable space. How many computers in Best Buy running Vista on 64 bit CPUs are running 64 bit OSes? Zero. Thanks Microsoft, for slowing down all developments on higher capacity RAM and 64 bit software development.
Linux is the most advanced kernel on the planet, and I'm sticking with it, as it is the only OS capable of running on new hardware like its supposed to.

Im currently using Ubuntu linux. Its alright, its much better than windows, but I still feel like something missing.

My favorite OS was Amiga Workbench, just cos of the stability and how fast it worked and stuff. I dont think there has been anything near it since. It was just so easy to use and fun to mess with, I get kind of the feel of that with linux but its not the same.

Ha ha maybe I just miss my youth and the like though :lol:

culturepunk said:
Im currently using Ubuntu linux. Its alright, its much better than windows, but I still feel like something missing.

My favorite OS was Amiga Workbench, just cos of the stability and how fast it worked and stuff. I dont think there has been anything near it since. It was just so easy to use and fun to mess with, I get kind of the feel of that with linux but its not the same.

Part of the fun of using Linux is messing around with different window managers. The default GNOME on Ubuntu is OK, but bloated and not to everyones tastes. You could always give amiwm a try ;)

fishybawb said:
culturepunk said:

Part of the fun of using Linux is messing around with different window managers. The default GNOME on Ubuntu is OK, but bloated and not to everyones tastes. You could always give amiwm a try ;)

Wow cheers for that link, wasnt aware of that window manager! :) Ive only really tried gnome, kde and flux box before and settled for standard gnome in the end. Im definatly going to try this though.

:) It wasnt just the look that made workbench great though, it was the way it was layed out and things, was so simple, things like how the libarys and commands were layed out on disk on it and datatypes and things, was really nice and could easily mess with things and make your own custom stuff. And it ran in 1MB of ram!

Yeah you can probably do alot of them things with linux these days, I dont really have time to learn though like I did with the amiga back in the day, I would spend hours reading manuals on it. ha ha. Maybe I was a little sad in my early teens. ha ha.

culturepunk said:
Wow cheers for that link, wasnt aware of that window manager! :) Ive only really tried gnome, kde and flux box before and settled for standard gnome in the end. Im definatly going to try this though.

:) It wasnt just the look that made workbench great though, it was the way it was layed out and things, was so simple, things like how the libarys and commands were layed out on disk on it and datatypes and things, was really nice and could easily mess with things and make your own custom stuff. And it ran in 1MB of ram!

Yeah you can probably do alot of them things with linux these days, I dont really have time to learn though like I did with the amiga back in the day, I would spend hours reading manuals on it. ha ha. Maybe I was a little sad in my early teens. ha ha.
This is the last crowd you need to worry about admitting to being a teenage geek to :D

I had an A500 back in the day - it ran Workbench 1.3, had the 1MB upgrade, and (gasp) a 20MB Quantum HD that clipped onto the left hand side. It was binned after the mouse/joystick ports and then keyboard started acting up. Years later I found out the CIA chips were probably just knackered and it would have been an easy fix. Still kicking myself about that to this day!

Workbench was great though, really lightweight and no nonsense, just how I like 'em :) These days I run a stripped down Debian Linux with X and Openbox installed - a couple of XTerm windows are all I need for a lot of my computer use.

fishybawb said:
This is the last crowd you need to worry about admitting to being a teenage geek to :D
Your probably right!

fishybawb said:
I had an A500 back in the day - it ran Workbench 1.3, had the 1MB upgrade, and (gasp) a 20MB Quantum HD that clipped onto the left hand side. It was binned after the mouse/joystick ports and then keyboard started acting up. Years later I found out the CIA chips were probably just knackered and it would have been an easy fix. Still kicking myself about that to this day!

Workbench was great though, really lightweight and no nonsense, just how I like 'em :) These days I run a stripped down Debian Linux with X and Openbox installed - a couple of XTerm windows are all I need for a lot of my computer use.
Ha ha Ive broke and repaired a few amigas in my time, offten in dodgy ways cos couldnt find the hardware, my amiga 600 had a PC diskdrive in it cos we couldnt find a replacement drive at the time for it, and it failed to read alot of disk most of time. I still have my trusty 1200 in the loft, which had an 512MB IDE harddisk hacked into it hanging out of the back of the case which was unscrewed at one side, and a ram card in the trapdoor which was too big to fit cos its from 500 I think so its taped in :) ha ha was awsome. Ill get it out one of these days, I still have 3 drawers full of disks sat downstairs as well doing nothing. Cant find a PC drive to read them. :(

Back