OTG usb port

alerino

what do you use it for?

for myself, making a mouse work through the port has been totally erratic. Not an easy task.

Outside of charging not much.. I would need to buy an adapter to use anything with it.. I find that using the regular sized USB port seems fine for what I need it to do.. I have a small USB 2.0 hub that I keep ready in my travel case.

Charging and mass storage connection to my pc! Couldn't seem to find a proper adapter to do anything more than that with it to be honest...

yep, i got a mouse working out of those connectors a few times, not always, i wonder what's needed to make it stable

MAYBE, but highly unlikely, it could be pulling just at the limit of power the OTG port and provide. (100 mA), or it might just not like the 4.5 volts it's getting on the 5 volt lines.

The mA rating is on the bottom of the mouse, but it is likely that it draws slightly less then the marking.

Does a plain old keyboard work? They draw significantly less then mice (10-50 mA vs 50 - 150 mA).

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been able to get anything working on it without a hub either using the Nokia adapter in the wiki. Ordered the one from dealextreme and will see how it works.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I pretty much just use the OTG port for data transfer. It's a lot easier than using a USB drive as a middle man. Or... middle... piece of plastic. I haven't used it for charging as of yet.

I do have a USB Mini-A to Mini-B connector from a TI-84 Plus calculator, but there's nothing I can use it with. I have an external hard drive, but it's NTFS formatted anyway, and I don't think the OTG port provides enough power. Besides, I have a USB hub. :p

I use it for data transfer. I have a really nice USB powered hub that I use in the normal USB for things like my trackball, lan adapter, miscellaneous bric-a-brac.

(Sorry if I'm reviving a topic already considered dead, but:)

I bought myself a USB-Mini male to USB female connector just to find out it wasn't host capable... After a short (mis-)treatment with a soldering iron it was. (One pin needs to be connected to ground.)

I've been using it for keyboards, mice, some USB thumbdrives and programming an AVR microcontroller.

(Run commands at your own risk)

Enabling SD mass storage loads a module called g_cdc which seems to be needed for USB OTG host-mode. You can load it manually with "sudo modprobe g_cdc" or make it load automatically on each boot by adding a file to /etc/modutils, eg by running: "sudo echo g_cdc > /etc/modutils/g_cdc"

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick little note on the OTG port...

Old model Blackberry phones used this same port - and I've found the chargers from them work great for holding a maintenance charge on the device when in use or charging it at about 1/2 the AC adapter's rate when not in use.

I've used the Blackberry car lighter adapter and the Blackberry wallwart adapter - both worked great.

Your mileage may vary.

Back