Other Non-x86 Devices

CCmachined

Before you tell me "Pandora is best for gaming etc etc" I know. I'm just looking around the market.
Anything with a keyboard that people know of? I just hate lugging around this laptop all the time.

What other options are out there that, you know, exist onmarket now as opposed to "In a few months probably but we don't know" (Pandora situation).

There's the Touch Book ( alwaysinnovating.com ), but it's not out yet either.

There's the (MIPS) Alpha 400, but it's considered to be the worst netbook ever (www.engadget.com/2008/12/08/alpha-400-the-crappiest-netbook-youll-ever-hate ).

The only thing you can get right now with a keyboard and an (somewhat recent) ARM processor is Nokia N810. That, or one of several smart phones like the G1 or Nokia N97.

There's the Gdium, which is apparently for sale in Belgium.

Also, the N800, which doesn't have a keyboard but you can use a bluetooth keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Alpha 400 looks familiar, I think they sell them at Maplin (it's called by a different name, but same hardware). Not a bad piece of kit, provided you dont want to do anything more than browse the web, look at emails, and maybe some basic office work.

I briefly considered getting one (only £130 or so), but backed out due to a lack of applications for it. Might be useful if you travel a lot, though.

Maybe take a look at some other netbooks, like the acer EEE PC? It's not entirely terrible....

But you were saying non-x86. =P

Neko posted on Apr 19 2009 at 11:41 AM said:
There's the Gdium, which is apparently for sale in Belgium.

Also, the N800, which doesn't have a keyboard but you can use a bluetooth keyboard.
I was going to mention the Gdium, too. I think it's too expensive for what it is personally, but I'm still interested in them.

And the N810 has a slide-out keyboard that actually works pretty good. You can find them for fairly cheap now, compared to what they used to cost, anyway.

I think the UMID M1 (it think it was called this) is out for sale outside korea now. It's got a keyboard, similar formfactor and an intel processor. I'm not so interested in it, but I'm sure some are. No gaming controls though, besides touchscreen.

Just throwing a couple of devices out that come to mind

HTC Touch Pro
___
Sony Mylo
___
This Arm based board may also be of interest to you, it would require a bit of know how to make it into a usable device however however.
-64MB ram
08853-01-L.jpg

___
Also this PIC board is about as far a way from x86 as you can go :p
-12 MIPS
-3904 BYTES OF RAM

It doesn't fit your description very well but its an interesting glimpse of how upcoming ARM Netbooks might look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W9hOWCl10k

Back