Other Possibilities

drummer121

Still Fresh
I'm looking for someone who can help me develop a hand held game console similar to the pandora, but can emulate 64 bit games with ease. I'm suggesting this because I believe $350 for the pandora is a little too pricey for some people.
Can anyone help?
drummer121

What?

- you want to develop a handheld (do you know what you're getting into? its not _easy_ ;)
- you want to emualte 64b games 'easily' (which is hard even on a modern PC, but you're talking serious hardware needed; more to point.. define the systems you want to emulate)
- you thjink $350 is _too much_ for a UMPC/handheld?

Consider that crappier _phones_ cost $600+ (they only don't to end user, because the telco is subsidizing and making it back on monthly); if you try to buy a phone straight out, you're talking usually $500-$700 depending. If you want a UMPC they're historically $500-$2500 depending.

A netbook is about the same price as the pandora and many times larger; a _good_ netbook with solid hardware is much more $$, and not anywhere near capable of serious emulation.

It just seems likew you're completely on crack, without having looked at any history or numbers. Go look up prices for PDAs and phones and come back :)

jeff

I'm willing to help. It'll take about a year to get everything together, with R&D and prototyping, but in the end you should be able to get such a console for only about $500'000.
Or you can buy the one that others have already done all the work for for a mere $350. Your pick.

drummer121 said:
I'm looking for someone who can help me develop a hand held game console similar to the pandora, but can emulate 64 bit games with ease. I'm suggesting this because I believe $350 for the pandora is a little too pricey for some people.
Can anyone help?
drummer121
That's easy.. all you gotta do is put yourself into a coma. With any luck, you'll snap out of it in 15 years and be able to play your 64bit games on the go!.. That is after you've gotten fingerprinted, a upc tattooed on your neck, and submitting to your new wookie overloards.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
I'm willing to help. It'll take about a year to get everything together, with R&D and prototyping, but in the end you should be able to get such a console for only about $500'000.
Or you can buy the one that others have already done all the work for for a mere $350. Your pick.

Dunno. Maybe if he does it himself he'll get one a little faster...

WizardStan said:
a year? took us only two months...

Vimacs said:
WizardStan said:
a year? took us only two months...
I seem to recall an 18 month wait while the cases were "perfected" :p
I figured a year was being optimistic ;)

You can play my 64bit game on a very basic computer, we should team up. I'll do the software, you get the hardware. 350 is a lot, lets make the console about 10.

Code:
int main( )
{
    printf( "Steve's 64bit game\n" );
    printf( "------------------\n" );
    printf( "\n" );

printf( "Count the number of bits (64 max!)\n" );
    for ( int i = 0; i < 64; ++i )
    {
        printf( rand( ) % 2 ? "1" : "0" );
    }
    printf( "\n" );
    printf( "Thank you for playing!\n" );
    return (uint64_t)0;
}

Steve

Rockthesmurf said:
You can play my 64bit game on a very basic computer, we should team up. I'll do the software, you get the hardware. 350 is a lot, lets make the console about 10.

Code:
int main( )
{
    printf( "Steve's 64bit game\n" );
    printf( "------------------\n" );
    printf( "\n" );

printf( "Count the number of bits (64 max!)\n" );
    for ( int i = 0; i < 64; ++i )
    {
        printf( rand( ) % 2 ? "1" : "0" );
    }
    printf( "\n" );