Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squidge said:
sam fisher said:
It will be nowhere near the DS. This is going to draw a HELL of a lot more power, it is going to be an awesome machine. It will need one hell of a good battery, Doesn't the GP2x draw 1Ah under load? And this is going to be much more powerful with far more hardware including wifi and 3d chips. Are we not talking about at least a 1.5Ah drain here?
I don't have the specs for the OMAP, but using current consumption from MMSP2, plus TFT+Backlight, WIFI, 3D, etc... I get 3.54W, and the OMAP will no doubt be a lot better (power consumption wise) than the MMSP2, and also will not be running at it's maximum speed with all peripherals enabled all the time.

3.54W would be ~700mA @ 5V, ~950mA @ 3.7V (assuming the battery is 3.7V).

Indeed, furthermore the OMAP is built on a smaller transistor process, I'm pretty sure 65nm, and last time I checked the MMSP2 only came in 130nm or worse. To compare, PC processors have gone from ~130w power consumption to ~70w due to die shrinking. Same applies to SOC chipsets....

also there's no dedicated ICs like individual 3D chips, it's all integrated and there are tons of power saving features..... all the PCB should need is the OMAP, some small parts (Capacitors, transistors, resistors, a fuse, things like that) .. battery sockets, ports, a card reader, some basic backlight hardware and PSU hardware..... so much is integrated in the OMAP there isn't need for lots of helper chips like a scaler unit, TV out chip or USB chip, the former 2 of which hogged entire hours of gp2x battery life because they were made for electronics you plug into the wall, not handhelds....

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly believe these arguments about the power saving features and the battery life issues that everyone has is ill founded anxiety over things craig will take care of. Even if he DOES mess up somewhere upon release, it will certainly be less than what Gamepark Holdings has done. The only remaining hardware issues I would have with the machine is adjustable light brightness on the LCD and easily replaceable batteries.

The DS Lite has a good example of LCD brightness scaling. The four settings are useful, but I usually use the lowest setting (and sometimes even that's a little bright at night), and in the bright light because the screen isn't transreflective higher settings are useful. I think a slider is more appropriate for this machine in a menu somewhere, however, and the range should be much better in terms of battery life savings for low light.

I honestly think a 2 AA battery pack will work just as well on this new machine as on the GP2X, but li-ion is way ahead of NiHM. I only ask that multiple battery packs are easily available in some form, especially powerful ones, because of commonality of the parts for easy replacement i.e, nokia. Myself along with number of people would like multiple battery packs and wouldn't mind a more powerful one for a little more money. In any case, the leads will be exposed, and it should be able to accept foreign packs should li-ion replacement prove inaccessible. Basically the ability to make a pack with acceptable voltage range directly on the leads with wires should be possible (2.4V to 5V maybe?). Obviously it shouldn't have to be able to directly charge it (something new might come out, and it could be dangerous), but this possibility of foreign packs is a requirement.

Let me put your mind at ease Yonkaku. :)

The backlight is PWM controlled so it can be set from 0 to 100%. I'm thinking of setting up function keys on the keypad to dim or brighten the display (like my laptop) as well as software can put in a menu or use the touch screen. The idea of making the LCD just on or off would be crazy!

Also, the battery pack will be removable as Craig has suggested before.

Finally, every part of the system (inside the chip and outside) will have the capability to power down to maximize battery life.

MWeston said:
Let me put your mind at ease Yonkaku. :)

The backlight is PWM controlled so it can be set from 0 to 100%. I'm thinking of setting up function keys on the keypad to dim or brighten the display (like my laptop) as well as software can put in a menu or use the touch screen. The idea of making the LCD just on or off would be crazy!

Finally, every part of the system (inside the chip and outside) will have the capability to power down to maximize battery life.
Woo, Cool, That`s great to hear. I`m loving every piece of info about this machine, I may even order two of them. :)

Trooper

MWeston said:
I like it, I like it! So far so good... :)

MWeston said:
Ohp, problem. "Battery pack"? No no no, no battery packs. I use rechargeables around the house already, and if the Craiginator can just use those, it'll fit right into my normal routine. Please don't go with unique battery solutions - stick to the standard stuff, please. Pretty please. Pretty please with a cherry on top. ;)

MWeston said:

...wow... suspend mode is in full view right now! :D

trooper said:
Woo, Cool, That`s great to hear. I`m loving every piece of info about this machine, I may even order two of them. :)

Trooper
Put me down for eleventy 12!

javaJake said:
MWeston said:
Ohp, problem. "Battery pack"? No no no, no battery packs. I use rechargeables around the house already, and if the Craiginator can just use those, it'll fit right into my normal routine. Please don't go with unique battery solutions - stick to the standard stuff, please. Pretty please. Pretty please with a cherry on top. ;)

Already been discussed, AA's will NOT provide the type of capacity this thing will need to operate for a long period of time, Look at the GP2x. Plus Lithium's are smaller and lighter, and store charge for longer and can store more charge per unit mass. If its an easily replaceable lithium then it should be fine.

javaJake said:
MWeston said:

Use your rechargeables for what you already use them for. The Craiginator will be using a battery solution much better, but it won't be custom made either so you can easily purchase the type of battery it will be using. Trust us, this is the best way.

But I am hoping that someone makes a battery charger that you can stick normal batteries in so that you can charge it when you don't have time to stand by a power-outlet. (or don't have one readily available, like in a car) My friend had one that took 4 AAAs and charged his DS, and it was VERY useful. It wasn't that big, either, so he could still play his DS with it just hanging there.

-God Ginrai

I think that in terms of the GUI of the machine, I'd like to see something like this.

cnatorguicopylu8.png

Clearly my mock up is very unprofessional, but the key idea is that I can do some basic things on the home screen without having to boot up certain programs, such as previewing mail and so on. I'm not sure how easy this is to achieve, but it'd be a nice thing to see on there.

norm said:
liking the gui mock up nova - nicely laid out and organized, not to keen on your chosen colours but thats what skins are for :)
Yes, I'm not too keen on it either really, lol, it was just to show the differences between tabs. Of course, it's open to interpretation, but that's just personally how I would envisage the main menu.

I like the idea, but I think a lot more could be done with it.

At the same time tho' I really like the Microsoft Bob-type idea. I would like to have the choice between both, if at all possible. ;)

-God Ginrai

sam fisher said:
Very blurry picture, does that say 7Ah? If so it would be a start ;)
Yup. I've got a 7Ah lead-acid sitting around and waiting to be used.

Does anybody have anything else to say about Kaillera emulator internet multiplayer? :p

The argument of AAs vs. a Li-Ion pack is ridiculous IMHO ... few professional devices anymore uses AAs, especially not PDAs or game consoles, and the fact the gp2x used them was just more proof what a farce of a device it was..... plus the lack of even springs in the battery compartment. The less like gp2x the machine is, the better; what made gp2x shine was always the software and nothing else.

Stealth Bagel said:
The argument of AAs vs. a Li-Ion pack is ridiculous IMHO ... few professional devices anymore uses AAs, especially not PDAs or game consoles, and the fact the gp2x used them was just more proof what a farce of a device it was..... plus the lack of even springs in the battery compartment. The less like gp2x the machine is, the better; what made gp2x shine was always the software and nothing else.
Please don't degenerate this thread into your own personal GP2X rant. Like it or not, it was the GP2X that kept this community together for the past two or so years, and it was the GP2X that provided a nice open canvas to hobbyist developers when no other alternative was available (no firmwares to hack, no additional peripherals to buy, all that was needed to dev came in the box). It's very easy to mouth off years after a product was designed and hit the market, when better and more powerful alternatives begin to surface.

Nova said:
I think that in terms of the GUI of the machine, I'd like to see something like this. [snip]
Lord have mercy. On a second thought, maybe my suggestion wasn't too good, and by not too good I mean an awful thing. Actually I don't stop making crap suggestions. A chance Craig won't pay attention ;)

Nova said:
I think that in terms of the GUI of the machine, I'd like to see something like this.

Clearly my mock up is very unprofessional, but the key idea is that I can do some basic things on the home screen without having to boot up certain programs, such as previewing mail and so on. I'm not sure how easy this is to achieve, but it'd be a nice thing to see on there.
Hehehe the last thing I want on my gaming system is a bunch of effing news tickers, RSS feeds, and emails jumping around. I turn on a game system to get away from all the BS in life and all that shit is 95% flashy, resource-hogging, over-complicated BS. Sorry to be so blunt but damn.

Senor Quack said:
Nova said:

Hehehe the last thing I want on my gaming system is a bunch of effing news tickers, RSS feeds, and emails jumping around. I turn on a game system to get away from all the BS in life and all that shit is 95% flashy, resource-hogging, over-complicated BS. Sorry to be so blunt but damn.

That's why I said that there was so much more that could be done with his design. It could work like a netvibes page, you choose which widgets you want to show. If you don't want net-based things, you can have recently-used apps, shortcuts, and maybe a calendar. The possibilities are endless.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
That's why I said that there was so much more that could be done with his design. It could work like a netvibes page, you choose which widgets you want to show. If you don't want net-based things, you can have recently-used apps, shortcuts, and maybe a calendar. The possibilities are endless.
Err forget it, that type of stuff is awful. Give me a desktop with a bunch of aliases on it and a filesystem to browse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back