Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
God Ginrai said:
It could work like a netvibes page, you choose which widgets you want to show.
-God Ginrai
Is this something to do with vibrators or am I just a simpleton?

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack said:
God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai

If you've ever used iGoogle, it's similar to that.

That's not a bad idea either.

Yonkaku said:
Senor Quack said:
God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai

OK, I just went to iGoogle and almost screamed when I saw the horror. Jesus, I don't need to feel like I'm at NASA mission control when I boot a game system up. Maybe as a novelty extension of someone's third-party menu system but leave it off mine. It's ridiculous, but I'll stop now.

Senor Quack said:
Yonkaku said:
Senor Quack said:
God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai

OK, I just went to iGoogle and almost screamed when I saw the horror. Jesus, I don't need to feel like I'm at NASA mission control when I boot a game system up. Maybe as a novelty extension of someone's third-party menu system but leave it off mine. It's ridiculous, but I'll stop now.

I think that's pretty much the theory of igoogle, if you don't want all the clutter just remove everything. Leave just a clock if thats all you want, put the tabs that you want in (make a games tab, make a system tab), etc. The point of igoogle is that the user makes the menu his/hers, something that the gp2x menu did not do

Senor Quack said:
Yonkaku said:
Senor Quack said:
God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai

First off, Netvibes is much better than iGoogle. Second, with either Netvibes or iGoogle, you can take out the things you don't want to leave it completely uncluttered. Like jpic3yk said, you could just leave a clock if you wanted. You're just seeing the default setup to show people what iGoogle can do.

-God Ginrai

News flash!

Opera emailed me back!

I have an agreement to sign (after they answer some of my questions about it, like binary distribution and etc.), and once I do that, it looks like I might get access to the Opera source to make a port for the Craiginator!

Only problem: I don't know how. Oh well, I can learn, and I can ask for help without violating an NDA :p

EDIT:Guys, here's my iGoogle for a relatively uncluttered example:

2004215895787958551_rs.jpg

A_SN said:
God Ginrai said:
That's why I said that there was so much more that could be done with his design. It could work like a netvibes page, you choose which widgets you want to show. If you don't want net-based things, you can have recently-used apps, shortcuts, and maybe a calendar. The possibilities are endless.
Err forget it, that type of stuff is awful. Give me a desktop with a bunch of aliases on it and a filesystem to browse.

Maybe that's what YOU want but others may think differently.

atomicthumbs said:
News flash!

Opera emailed me back!

I have an agreement to sign (after they answer some of my questions about it, like binary distribution and etc.), and once I do that, it looks like I might get access to the Opera source to make a port for the Craiginator!
You are a total idiot. You have no programming experience what so ever, you cannot jump straight into porting something as huge as opera! What the hell were you thinking? I bet you even were so ful lof yourself that the email you sent them said: QUOTE
I am interested in porting Opera...
rather than the truth, that you want a port for the Craiginator. There isn't even an SDK out you total moron. Christ, you have just made me so angry.

atomicthumbs said:
News flash!

Opera emailed me back!

Only problem: I don't know how. Oh well, I can learn, and I can ask for help without violating an NDA :p
Don't get involved in all this - it'll be much more trouble than you think. It is also extremely rude to do things like this (lying to companies, potentially damaging Craig's name etc.). If he wanted Opera, he'd have already arranged it.

Whilst I'd be ecstatic to have Opera, this might not necessarily have been the way to go about it. Mostly because the system isn't out yet to port stuff to, and you don't (as yet) have porting experience. Opera being kinda big and all.

The system not being out yet means you potentially gesump Craig and co's design decisions e.g. if they in fact *are* talking to Opera to try and get a port, Opera may consider themselves to already have had contact, and there's potential awkwardness that could ensue. Same if Opera thinks it would be the official browser for the device and it ends up not shipping with it (which being an unofficial port it probably wouldn't, good port or not).

Not having porting experience is more dangerous because it means that Opera may not consider future requests for source by people who actually could do the job if you fail in doing it.

Nice idea, but unfortunate execution, although I think Sam Fisher's being a little extreme...

atomicthumbs said:
and how do you know that a port for the Craiginator isn't already underway? It may, for example, have already been started for a previous chipset, before the move to the OMAP...

Squidge said:
atomicthumbs said:
and how do you know that a port for the Craiginator isn't already underway? It may, for example, have already been started for a previous chipset, before the move to the OMAP...

:D

sam fisher said:
I bet you even were so ful lof yourself that the email you sent them said: QUOTE
I am interested in porting Opera...
rather than the truth, that you want a port for the Craiginator. There isn't even an SDK out you total moron. Christ, you have just made me so angry.
No, I asked if they were interested in porting it to the ARM architecture for a Craiginator port. They misinterpreted me. Asshole.

Orkie said:
atomicthumbs said:
News flash!

Opera emailed me back!

Don't get involved in all this - it'll be much more trouble than you think. It is also extremely rude to do things like this (lying to companies, potentially damaging Craig's name etc.). If he wanted Opera, he'd have already arranged it.

I didn't lie. I'm not under any agreement yet. I haven't signed it. They misinterpreted my original request.

sam fisher said:
Atomicthumbs, you will end up in prison.

Edit: Well actually maybe just end up in court and paying a large amount of money.
No.

Tobriand said:
Whilst I'd be ecstatic to have Opera, this might not necessarily have been the way to go about it. Mostly because the system isn't out yet to port stuff to, and you don't (as yet) have porting experience. Opera being kinda big and all.

The system not being out yet means you potentially gesump Craig and co's design decisions e.g. if they in fact *are* talking to Opera to try and get a port, Opera may consider themselves to already have had contact, and there's potential awkwardness that could ensue. Same if Opera thinks it would be the official browser for the device and it ends up not shipping with it (which being an unofficial port it probably wouldn't, good port or not).

Not having porting experience is more dangerous because it means that Opera may not consider future requests for source by people who actually could do the job if you fail in doing it.

Nice idea, but unfortunate execution, although I think Sam Fisher's being a little extreme...
Remember, I can still decline to sign the agreement/stop talking with them. And yes, Sam Fisher is being extreme.

The confidentiality notice in the email says that I can't disclose the email content. However, they are under the impression that it is my device. I intend to correct this.

And remember, they contacted me after a three-month gap between my original request (from a form on the website) and now. Unless the misunderstandings can be rectified, I won't be going through with this.

sam fisher said:
A_SN said:
God Ginrai said:
That's why I said that there was so much more that could be done with his design. It could work like a netvibes page, you choose which widgets you want to show. If you don't want net-based things, you can have recently-used apps, shortcuts, and maybe a calendar. The possibilities are endless.
Err forget it, that type of stuff is awful. Give me a desktop with a bunch of aliases on it and a filesystem to browse.

Maybe that's what YOU want but others may think differently.

Indeed, I'm not even sure of what I want hehe, I'm sure we'll have something very nice by default.

@ atomicthumbs : ugh, fanboyism at its worst. Please. Stop. Don't even write back to them, or if you do say "Sorry, but I'm an overly enthusiastic fanboy and am not involved in any way with the actual development of this console. Sorry about wasting your time."

Indeed, I'm not even sure of what I want hehe, I'm sure we'll have something very nice by default.

@ atomicthumbs : ugh, fanboyism at its worst. Please. Stop. Don't even write back to them, or if you do say "Sorry, but I'm an Idiotic know-it-all fanboy and am not involved in any way with the actual development of this console. Sorry about wasting your time."
[/quote]
Fixed.

Alex. said:
Stealth Bagel said:
The argument of AAs vs. a Li-Ion pack is ridiculous IMHO ... few professional devices anymore uses AAs, especially not PDAs or game consoles, and the fact the gp2x used them was just more proof what a farce of a device it was..... plus the lack of even springs in the battery compartment. The less like gp2x the machine is, the better; what made gp2x shine was always the software and nothing else.
Please don't degenerate this thread into your own personal GP2X rant. Like it or not, it was the GP2X that kept this community together for the past two or so years, and it was the GP2X that provided a nice open canvas to hobbyist developers when no other alternative was available (no firmwares to hack, no additional peripherals to buy, all that was needed to dev came in the box). It's very easy to mouth off years after a product was designed and hit the market, when better and more powerful alternatives begin to surface.

You misunderstood what I was trying to say...... my point is the software is what makes the gp2x shine despite its faults, and the programmers and their work are what should be respected.... that is not an excuse to mistake the gp2x as being the reason all the software was possible and thereby imitating poor aspects of its design, like needing fancy AAs or obscure hard to find 2900mah things to get anywhere near decent battery life... that sort of thing scares away less savvy buyers who will put in 2 alkaline batteries and say "Oh look it's broken"....... most professionally made devices these days use a dedicated battery, that's no secret.

sam fisher said:
You are in a big hole. You may have fried the Craig's, and the Craiginator itself's, credibility as they clearly think you are him (your device).
No, I never mentioned CraigIX or the Craiginator. I called it "a device".

Orkie said:
Just don't reply, don't dig yourself into an even larger hole!
I've already rejected the agreement, asked them not to contact me any more, and deleted the emails. Issue over.

I can live with Firefox. :)

lol... the day i would see sam fisher call somebody else a fanboy and an "idiotic know-it-all" has apparently come. I guess hell must have frozen over at last.

i don't see why we'd need a full port of firefox, the actual renderer component (gecko) is available for free, in a newer version, which is faster, and renders better then the version in firefox. All we'd need to do is give it a canvas to render on, and have an address bar for a basic browser.

(i'm bAAaaaaack)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back