Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
icurafu said:
In terms of performance, both suggested SoCs would be significantly more powerful than the XScale@624MHz. However, the 16MB of video ram on the MBX will hard to beat.
How do you figure 16MB is hard to beat? I don't see how it would be difficult to attach 32, 64 or more MB of RAM to the video hardware; or a shared pool of RAM for the CPU/DSP/GPU/etc... onchip there might be less latency though.

However I would strongly propose, if there is a shared RAM chip for everything, that a control panel exist to select how it is dedicated between System and Video RAM depending on how the device is being used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stealth Bagel said:
icurafu said:
In terms of performance, both suggested SoCs would be significantly more powerful than the XScale@624MHz. However, the 16MB of video ram on the MBX will hard to beat.
How do you figure 16MB is hard to beat? I don't see how it would be difficult to attach 32, 64 or more MB of RAM to the video hardware; or a shared pool of RAM for the CPU/DSP/GPU/etc... onchip there might be less latency though.

However I would strongly propose, if there is a shared RAM chip for everything, that a control panel exist to select how it is dedicated between System and Video RAM depending on how the device is being used.

It's not so simple to attach ram to the video hardware. We'll have to wait and see what TI can do.

Stealth Bagel said:
icurafu said:

It's not the amount of memory, it's a matter of having a dedicated bus to that RAM, and that RAM being especially fast. We don't know if OMAP3430 has such a dedicated bus to VRAM, although if it doesn't it'll probably at least have L2 cache for the CPU which will alleviate a lot of bus usage coming from it.

Stealth Bagel said:
If that's adjustable in software, wouldn't it be better for the developer and not the user to set that? :rolleyes:

Not sure if this is the right place to make any suggestions because of the waterfall of posts, but here are the things I would like in a handheld like this one anyway:

1) Since there is going to be a TV-Out, is it possible for it to broadcast LDTV in BOTH progressive and interlaced modes? If the handheld runs arcade and console games well, then many enthusiasts might be willing to buy the machine to get a correct video output. It would be great if the TV-Out has programmable resolutions and supports oldschool stuff like 240p. Also, overscan area is very important specially when hooking to a regular TV. Lots of people mod Mega Drives and Famicoms for S-video or RGB, while others buy specialized video cards for MAME. This would make it VERY attractive for people who aren't necessarily interested in the portable factor, if it gives them good correct video at a right price. It would be bliss for it to have Component and RGB, but S-video is very nice for old consoles when it isn't interlaced.

2) I know it might not look to pretty, but for those Capcom fans, Mega Drive 6-button pad, and to have enough and correctly placed buttons on the possible N64, it would be a good idea to place 6 face buttons. The Sega Nomad has them and they work like a charm. The only potential problem is that it could make the console less easy on the eyes, but a good design would make it look well.

3) Lastly, since the screen will be "wide" leave the option open to use only 640x480 to get a correct ratio on many games.

We're gonna buy this console whenever it comes out, anyway, but these would be seriously attractive to me if available, knowing that it will be a Behemoth WITH A D(LIKE)PAD~!! I hope the console is a success.

Yuan said:
3) Lastly, since the screen will be "wide" leave the option open to use only 640x480 to get a correct ratio on many games.
That'll probably be at the emulator developer's discretion.

What about BLuetooth? this is critical to me. its pretty much a deal breaker since without BT there is no easy convenient way to link up with a Cell Phone for data connections or to link up with a GPS unit. It would also allow linkup with "headsets" for making say VOIP calls on the WIFI connection and for using bluetooth headphones.

Since this is some supreme gadget I guess I will just list my wants and wishes :)

DUAL memory card slots please. DUAL SDHC compatible SD slots. Dropping in 32gig in SD in this thing would so rock even NOW 8gig cards are not obnoxiously expensive thats 16gig potential!

Dual is important it allows you to move alter add information without removing the only mem card in the device.

SDIO would be nice but with HOST (assuming that means DEVICES too) it may be unneeded)

I assume the standard array of buttons will be present ? (shoulders etc..)

For the battery I would design for the most common battery available and then ALSO make the battery compartment a few mm larger than this in all directions to maximize the ability to continue to aquire batteries for this. ALSO by making the battery compartment larger than the cell just buy a little you can permit people to have the capacity to make "adaptors" so they can use other battery cells should the one chosen go out of production.

I would also love to see a "jack" for power input that is NOT for charging the device!! IE a shell with AA batteries in it would snap on and plug into this jack. the device would use ONLY the AA's and not attempt to charge the internal pack. IF the AA's are removed or die it would just "switch" to the internal pack seamlessly. There should be indicators 3 total one for AC and charging (red/green) one to indicate internal battery in use and one to indicate external battery in use. Or just one led for battery status (along with the ac charge led) on = external power off = internal power. make this something COMMON say 3v or 4.5v for 2 or 3 cells etc..) For the charging jack using the PSP style plug would be nice since SOO many devices use this connection. I have at least 4 gadgets that use this same plug polarity and voltage. Allow USB charge as well.

Generous internal memory. at least 128mb like the zodiac had.

GOOD built in speakers. Want to hear great built in speakers that are tiny? grab a zodiac just do not put the danged speakers where your THUMBS will rest in use :) hehe the goal should be to equal or surpass the quality and volume potential of those speakers.

Having a DOCK connector would be nice and make sure Video and AUDIO have connection on this dock. This will be nice for home theater docking and for CAR BOAT docking etc.. without having to use delicate annoying headphone power jacks etc..

PLEASE keep the jacks all standardized. use USE A only no funky b or proprietary connections. Stick with full size Stick A and Mini A please :)

Make the power jack STANDARD (like a PSP plug)

Make the AV out STANDARD (make sure if I buy a 4 conductor AV cable from Radio Shack this will accept it)

Since this is going to be a powerful machine it would be nice if software could in code scale all power functions (cpu video etc..) so for example the thing does not burn at full power while playing solitaire or playing MP3's

Have switches for WIFI and BT like the PSP and Zodiac do. this works out quite nicely.

My personal opinion on design suggestions? the closer it looks to a Tapwave Zodiac in overall dimension rations (larger off course) the better.

Having a solid external metal shell even if some inside parts are plastic would be VERY NICE and you can use it as a heat sink.

I would consider DUAL audio jacks if room permits. This would both allow two people to listen AND provide a "backup" headphone jack since this is a commonly damaged components in a handheld.

DUAL or "easily replaced" power jacks would be nice but might be asking for much expecially if you have a nice dock connector to act as a backup.

I would design the shape with "snap on" backpack items in mind. IE make it easy for others to make accessories for it by having latch on points built into the design. A solid central screw hole in the back (think tripod mount) would kick ass and allow homebrew snap on solutions to be possible.

OH and make sure your court PDAMILL/Gamebox for getting on board. IF they make stuff for this as gorgeous as they do for the Palms and PPC's your gonna love it :)

Battery Life. you should shoot for at least 4 hours of video playback on the internal battery at 50% brightness using built in speakers. Not sure if thats possible with such a large screen and so much power without making it too large.

ALSO where are the specs on this? Any chance its gonna be THIN ? The thinner the better. if you can keep it around a half an inch that would be really really nice :)

An idea to keep it smaller? have replaceable components. Instead of using the room for a D pad and an analog how about have JUST a dpad or analog on the left and you switch out the part? I guess that would add a lot of cost though. Just an idea.

If you can add BT dual SDHC slots and keep it thin I think your going to have a winner and will almost guarantee I buy one :)

Can't wait to find out more information on this.

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/

nerys: You need to check the full thread, eg Craigix has already posted:

Posted on: Sep 18 2007, 11:25 PM

OMAP does not support 2xSD

Wifi yes, bluetooth no (sorry).

Yuan said:
1) Since there is going to be a TV-Out, is it possible for it to broadcast LDTV in BOTH progressive and interlaced modes? If the handheld runs arcade and console games well, then many enthusiasts might be willing to buy the machine to get a correct video output. It would be great if the TV-Out has programmable resolutions and supports oldschool stuff like 240p. Also, overscan area is very important specially when hooking to a regular TV. Lots of people mod Mega Drives and Famicoms for S-video or RGB, while others buy specialized video cards for MAME. This would make it VERY attractive for people who aren't necessarily interested in the portable factor, if it gives them good correct video at a right price. It would be bliss for it to have Component and RGB, but S-video is very nice for old consoles when it isn't interlaced.

2) I know it might not look to pretty, but for those Capcom fans, Mega Drive 6-button pad, and to have enough and correctly placed buttons on the possible N64, it would be a good idea to place 6 face buttons. The Sega Nomad has them and they work like a charm. The only potential problem is that it could make the console less easy on the eyes, but a good design would make it look well.
These things have been suggested before but not confirmed. Craigix has hinted that the TV-out will have capabilities beyond the GP2X, which I hope means we'll finally see proper RGB support with custom resolutions (S-video, while better than composite in theory, looks crap on many European TV sets which can't handle it properly, on my particular TV, Composite looks as good as RGB by comparison, S-video gives large blotches of color distortion and banding).

That's a software design issue and will be implemented by each emulator/game author, I'm sure.

Yuan said:
Most of openGL games can render any format. Cube or Sauerbraten can for sure. ;)

nerys said:
[very long post]
Nerys, you should read the wiki page. There's a link in my sig. There is also more info in the rest of the thread, even though it's a bit big and contains a few flamewars. Put on your asbestos overcoat.

3130 posts. 154222 views. I hereby declare this a legendary thread.
legendarythreadba8.jpg

We're gonna buy this console whenever it comes out, anyway, but these would be seriously attractive to me if available, knowing that it will be a Behemoth WITH A D(LIKE)PAD~!! I hope the console is a success.

Will we see an Widescreen-Touchscreen-Version of W&W at the new Handheld? ;)
I'm sure, your guys could do amazing Games for the Craiginator. I'm still requesting something "Advance Wars" -like, would be awesome. ^^

nerys said:
DUAL or "easily replaced" power jacks would be nice but might be asking for much expecially if you have a nice dock connector to act as a backup.
DUAL EARPHONE jacks is more important I think. :) We need a jack for normal horizontal usage (gaming) and a jack for vertical usage (touchscreen mode, Music Player to fit into pockets etc. like all these new-fashioned mediaplayers have. Wearing the GP2X in the pocket while having an earphone pluged in was really a pain, especially with straight, non bended plugs.

FlippantBird said:
3130 posts. 154222 views. I hereby declare this a legendary thread.
legendarythreadba8.jpg
BUT THAT IS MORE THAN 50%. I DECLARE THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE A 150% THREAD.

fusion_power said:
DUAL EARPHONE jacks is more important I think. :) We need a jack for normal horizontal usage (gaming) and a jack for vertical usage (touchscreen mode, Music Player to fit into pockets etc. like all these new-fashioned mediaplayers have. Wearing the GP2X in the pocket while having an earphone pluged in was really a pain, especially with straight, non bended plugs.
I just feel the need to back that up. It's a GREAT Idea.

Yuglooc said:
fusion_power said:

Dual Headphones would be cool, but I don't think it's really necessary, because you can easily solve your "problem" by buying headphones that don't stick out straight, or headphone extenders that don't stick out straight.

-God Ginrai

Yuglooc said:
fusion_power said:

Oooh, I like this too. Being a kid, I ride school buses a lot, and sometimes I try to watch movies on my 2X with a buddy on some longer trips we have. But people don't like overhearing it, so we end up having to share a pair of earbuds-- not fun. Two jacks would make that easier for everyone (and I don't believe it would really do anything to the overall cost)

I don't see a need for dual headphones. It would be cheaper to put the headphone jack in the corner of the unit, than swivel it as needed at the corner.

Mr. Ksoft said:
Oooh, I like this too. Being a kid, I ride school buses a lot, and sometimes I try to watch movies on my 2X with a buddy on some longer trips we have. But people don't like overhearing it, so we end up having to share a pair of earbuds-- not fun. Two jacks would make that easier for everyone (and I don't believe it would really do anything to the overall cost)
You can buy headphone splitters that'll do the same job, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back