Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squidge said:
Mr. Ksoft said:
Oooh, I like this too. Being a kid, I ride school buses a lot, and sometimes I try to watch movies on my 2X with a buddy on some longer trips we have. But people don't like overhearing it, so we end up having to share a pair of earbuds-- not fun. Two jacks would make that easier for everyone (and I don't believe it would really do anything to the overall cost)
You can buy headphone splitters that'll do the same job, too :)

I have some of those. They're very useful. ;) and very cheap.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
Any chance of releasing a 256MB RAM version of the Craiginator as well as a 128MB? (Similar to the Zodiac)
Didn't Craig say the reason they were using 128 was because anything over that caused problems or somesuch?

-God Ginrai

Julius said:
But it depends of how fast the GPU in the craiginator actually is, which is IMHO still THE big question as there have been statements (=rumors) citing numbers well below that of the PSP and way above it.

That is not a question easily answered, even if you knew the fill rate, polygon rate, bandwidth, and other such numbers of the SGX in the OMAP3430. You really have to understand the architecture to be able to estimate what it's capable of. It's particularly difficult to compare GPUs with entirely different featuresets.

fusion_power said:
Sauerbraten is fun to "use", especially the superb level Editing feature, no other game Level Editor can match with this (BUILD Engine maybe)
But Sauerbraten is to "high" for the Handheld, it needs a modern PC graphic card by the way to support all the nice shaders and Stuff. For example, the Engine looks very poor on my GeForce3 so you can imagine, how this all would look on an Handheld, even with OpenGL Support. ;)

In terms of shader features the PowerVR SGX in the OMAP3430 is way above a Geforce 3. In that department it should beat a Geforce 7. Performance of course is another story, but then keep in mind that 100W and 100mW are quite different numbers.

What about BLuetooth?

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/cat....304~r.83761366

Buy one. Or use your own if you already have one. It will have USB HOST, and a current Linux build, so drivers will be much less of an issue.

DUAL memory card slots please. DUAL SDHC compatible SD slots. Dropping in 32gig in SD in this thing would so rock even NOW 8gig cards are not obnoxiously expensive thats 16gig potential!

Really, what's the point if you have USB, WIFI AND (hopefully) BLUETOOTH. Oh, and 32 GB SDHC cards, they will be out by the time this comes out. Hooking up external hard drives will be just like doing it on any computer.

...battery...internal memory...GOOD built in speakers...

Been over this. Read the wiki.

Having a DOCK connector would be nice and make sure Video and AUDIO have connection on this dock. This will be nice for home theater docking and for CAR BOAT docking etc.. without having to use delicate annoying headphone power jacks etc..

Waste of money. Oh, and also unstable, you'd lose it on a boat, just use a box (any will do).

PLEASE keep the jacks all standardized. use USE A only no funky b or proprietary connections. Stick with full size Stick A and Mini A please :)

Make the power jack STANDARD (like a PSP plug)

Make the AV out STANDARD (make sure if I buy a 4 conductor AV cable from Radio Shack this will accept it)

Since this is going to be a powerful machine it would be nice if software could in code scale all power functions (cpu video etc..) so for example the thing does not burn at full power while playing solitaire or playing MP3's

Have switches for WIFI and BT like the PSP and Zodiac do. this works out quite nicely.

Already taken care of. Converters are always available otherwise.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/cat....312~r.83761366

My personal opinion on design suggestions?

No, the exterior design is already finalized and patented. Adapters of all kinds are always cheaply available on the internet.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/cat....312~r.83761366

Also, thin does not equal good, it equals BREAKABLE, DISPOSABLE, AND OVERHEATING.

However, the machine won't be all 3. It will have metal and plastic to prevent this.

Battery Life.

There will be a very good battery and you can adjust just about any setting for maximum power efficiency:

MWeston said:
The backlight is PWM controlled so it can be set from 0 to 100%. I'm thinking of setting up function keys on the keypad to dim or brighten the display (like my laptop) as well as software can put in a menu or use the touch screen. The idea of making the LCD just on or off would be crazy!

Also, the battery pack will be removable as Craig has suggested before.

Finally, every part of the system (inside the chip and outside) will have the capability to power down to maximize battery life.
http://craiginator.bluwiki.com/

Here's the wiki with currently known specs. That means subject to change and if it's not on there, WE DON'T KNOW IT.

I wish people would go easy on this thing...again why in the world does it have to do everything...its like your not satisfied with the fact that we can emulate better things now and have access to a better hardware...no its got to be the so godly it will make you waffles in the mourning excuse my pun.

I'm happy for the fact this thing will do somethings right that GP2x unfortunately does wrong.

and hopefully we won't find a ripoff chinese version of it anytime after release.

So why does that page on Bluwiki call it 'codename: craiginator' if it's already been stated it's called 'Project Bumblebee' as a codename..... Craiginator just sounds ridiculous and silly imho.

Stealth Bagel said:
So why does that page on Bluwiki call it 'codename: craiginator' if it's already been stated it's called 'Project Bumblebee' as a codename..... Craiginator just sounds ridiculous and silly imho.
I hope you're not being serious.

There has been no officially announced codename.

I've heard project bumblebee as the project name a few times. Not the official device name. Craiginator is just an unofficial silly community name for the device that's harmless. People won't use it if they thought it was too ridiculous. For me, I'm just happy people stopped saying GP3X.

icurafu said:
I've heard project bumblebee as the project name a few times. Not the official device name. Craiginator is just an unofficial silly community name for the device that's harmless. People won't use it if they thought it was too ridiculous. For me, I'm just happy people stopped saying GP3X.
Picky, picky, picky :p

Exophase said:
Stealth Bagel said:
I hope you're not being serious.

There has been no officially announced codename.

I hope he's not serious too, Craiginator is a BADASS name for it. Put it right above the screen in big Terminator font, that's the ticket.
To garzyboi- I'd rather it make me, I dunno vodka or sensei in the mourning myself ;)
*Sigh* you can tell it's slow atm can't you the crap I'm spouting.. roll on dpad pic(s) :rolleyes:
I don't like to mention it really but I hope the info for donators to the run is still on too, couldn't help myself there.
Back to sleep..

I sure hope we donaters do get some info ... I donated about 3gbp but since it accidentally took $ from the wrong account, which was empty, I got charged $25 by the bank... what an expensive donation! Too bad the $25 didn't go to a good cause too.....

Here's the thing with Dreamcast Emulation. If the device cannot emulate Dreamcast, if you think about it, what separates it from a PSP aside from it being open source and extra $150 on top of that? Not trying to start a flame off, but I thought I'd toss that in there.

Well If we did through DC emu possibility out the window we would probably still most likely have a better homebrew setup than psp.

Every emu should be running speed with all gfx chips emu'd through at least n64 well one would hope.

Not sure about movies files but it should be a bit more streamlined and not so dang proprietary as UMD...well granted people try not to use Umd anymore.

-better analog, linux os, and etc...

Still emulation shouldn't be the primary focus...remember it's homebrew

Vince2501 said:
Here's the thing with Dreamcast Emulation. If the device cannot emulate Dreamcast, if you think about it, what separates it from a PSP aside from it being open source and extra $150 on top of that? Not trying to start a flame off, but I thought I'd toss that in there.
Fullspeed N64 possible (much higher speeds than the PSP has are at least guaranteed), touchscreen, dual analog, based AROUND homebrew and emulation, slightly larger screen...

^That's just some things off the top of my head, if anyone wants to continue off my list, feel free to do so.

-God Ginrai

icurafu said:
Just combine them, like I do.

PROJECT CRAIGLEBEE3X!

Vince2501 said:
Simply put, it has every (reasonable*) physical feature that the psp does not have.

*I mean things like a keyboard, two analogs, a touchscreen, etc.... not a foldable 80 inch plasma and things like that. ;)

Well, I think the Dreamcast is too powerful to emulate efficiently. The PSP is what it is, not necessarily the best emulating a particular console nor the most comfortable for controls. The GP2X, for instance, does an exceptionally great job emulating the Genesis/Mega Drive, and can even be hooked to a TV and played with usb controllers. The only problem was that the TV-Out was an interlaced and cropped mess, and the sound in that emulator is not "perfectly" accurate because of little details which might make it run a little clumsy on GP2X. But with those little quirks fixed, it could well replace a REAL one with the benefit of portability.

If this console provides great accuracy in older devices and correct video output, as well as the rest of the features, it would be a great buy.

I'm really happy with my GP2X so far. It has a lot of great programs by a dedicated community, it's very easy and fast to operate, heck, I even have a commercial GAME out for it. Do you know the hassle it is with mainstream companies?

Yes, it has a funny "joystick cap" and a poor battery life, but I really love this console for what it can do. Anything BETTER than that is just plain welcome. Hoping it emulates a system even PCs have a hard time with isn't very realistic. Let's hope this console does well and truly demonstrates the power of "homebrew".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back