Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vince2501 said:
Here's the thing with Dreamcast Emulation. If the device cannot emulate Dreamcast, if you think about it, what separates it from a PSP aside from it being open source and extra $150 on top of that? Not trying to start a flame off, but I thought I'd toss that in there.
Um... the fact that you don't have to pay $50 per game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vince2501 said:
Here's the thing with Dreamcast Emulation. If the device cannot emulate Dreamcast, if you think about it, what separates it from a PSP aside from it being open source and extra $150 on top of that? Not trying to start a flame off, but I thought I'd toss that in there.
If you think that you're an idiot. The Craiginator will be more powerful, will emulate the N64, will have a built-in keyboard, two analog controls, a touchscreen, a much higher res screen, built-in wifi, more RAM, less flaws, etc etc..

Vince2501 said:
SNES w/o frameskip, SNES special chip games, GBA w/o frameskip even with stupid games like FF6 (cough..), PS1 emulator with options and compatibility, MUCH faster N64 emulation, Nintendo DS emulation, Saturn emulation maybe, fast Jaguar emulation, fast 3DO emulation...

Thing is that a lot of emulators are more optimized for ARM for the sake of GP2X but not fast enough on it, and Craiginator could benefit from that. Most emulators for PSP are pretty unoptimized in comparison.

I remember someone saying they had done full speed 3DO emulation on the GP2X, and that it was "ready for testing", but no one ever received a copy. Right, Jaguarandine? :rolleyes:

icurafu said:
I wouldn't think more is needed for most applications. There are a few 3D linux apps that could use it.

I think the MagicEye Systems SoC had problems above 128MB. I have no idea what you can throw at the OMAP3.
When you consider that the GP2X has 64MB but only about 20MB or so is directly accessible, having 120MB or so available is a big improvement.

Anybody know if it would be useful or even possible to port xbox media center http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_media_center (or portions of it) to play media files on the craiginator? It could provide a nice interface and satisfy users who want a portable media center, and wi-fi adds tons of options, stream videos in your house off other computers, etc.

jpic3yk said:
Anybody know if it would be useful or even possible to port xbox media center http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_media_center (or portions of it) to play media files on the craiginator? It could provide a nice interface and satisfy users who want a portable media center, and wi-fi adds tons of options, stream videos in your house off other computers, etc.

Sounds like a good idea since it's based on mplayer and I fail to see how it could not be done :)

A_SN said:
jpic3yk said:

Sounds like a good idea since it's based on mplayer and I fail to see how it could not be done :)

Just port the GUI. The basis can be anything...

zaffercharles said:
I'd love that, as I know it well, it looks good and plays almost anything. If it's possible then why not
I thought it used Windows codecs - that would explain why it plays everything and would mean it can't be run anywhere else with the same compatibility levels.

Orkie said:
zaffercharles said:
I'd love that, as I know it well, it looks good and plays almost anything. If it's possible then why not
I thought it used Windows codecs - that would explain why it plays everything and would mean it can't be run anywhere else with the same compatibility levels.

If it's based on MPlayer (it appears to be), the codecs are also portable (though they're not ported to ARM as of yet, IIRC), and are not dependent on Windows codecs. I can see XBMC being useful as a frontend and media player, if it's possible to port it.
But as that's all a software issue, I'm sure it'll be solved in some way or another. Right now I'm more interested in seeing the hardware and case design. :)

Exophase said:
Nintendo DS emulation, Saturn emulation maybe,

In this gigantic thread, that hasn't been brought up too much. But yeah, if the device could emulate a system that, simply put, the PSP could not, then we have something interesting... Saturn emulation with touch screen support for Area 51, House of the Dead, and Virtual Cop would be an instant win.

With a machine half as powerful as this is meant to be, the prospect of commercial games must be appealing.. has there been any effort in providing DRM (optional, of course) for people who want to develop commercial projects for this?

Hey don't forget about the fighting games man.

Be about time to bust out some classic stuff...like Rival schools and star gladiator.

man I'd only play 2 games if we had any saturn emu...and it would shining force III all scenarios since I can finally read japanese now...

and panzer dragoon.

garzyboi said:
Hey don't forget about the fighting games man.

Be about time to bust out some classic stuff...like Rival schools and star gladiator.

man I'd only play 2 games if we had any saturn emu...and it would shining force III all scenarios since I can finally read japanese now...

and panzer dragoon.

Don't forget Guardian Heroes. If the devs can make a Saturn emu with Kaillera, we could get a 6 player online battle going. :ph34r:

Vince2501 said:
Saturn emulation with touch screen support for Area 51, House of the Dead, and Virtual Cop would be an instant win.
Oh, I think I just wet myself a little.

Yeah, that's just what you want - tiny dents in your screen from where you've been jabbing at the screen whilst emulating Area 51/etc under Saturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back