Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Squidge

Excuse me but the new console will be on the market by 15 December 2007? We could buy from that date onwards?
Thanks

efegea said:
For screen rotation to work, the X11 driver should support the xrandr extension.

For standard linux applications it should be no problem, it's just a window resize, from 800x480 to 480x800, but games and emulators coded for just one resolution, like the ones using SDL, will give problems.
There should be various resolution options that can be set be set for each preference. There should be a 1:1, 2:1, even double modes included without all of that blurry filter crap that is introduced with "window resizing" for horizontal stuff.

As for vertical modes it should have even 2:1 double modes too as many of these games were 240x320 (or close enough) and would look best just doubled. Even though vertical use will be very awkward because of the design of this thing it should still be included for those that want to use external controllers, or want to put up with the poor ergonomics in this orientation to be able to play those games with a decent image size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arsenè said:
@ Squidge
Excuse me but the new console will be on the market by 15 December 2007? We could buy from that date onwards?
Thanks

Not unless Craig is a God beyond Gods. It won't be on market, instead, we will hopefully know most everything about it. It has been predicted to come into market around March/April.

Please read the topic or use the search function next time.

-God Ginrai

Not unless Craig is a God beyond Gods. It won\'t be on market, instead, we will hopefully know most everything about it. It has been predicted to come into market around March/April.

-God Ginrai

Ok...thks, But some photos in advance you can have?

Arsenè said:
Not unless Craig is a God beyond Gods. It won\'t be on market, instead, we will hopefully know most everything about it. It has been predicted to come into market around March/April.

-God Ginrai

lol, Don't we all want that.

Not yet, but some photos should come out within a week or so, if craigix doesn't push it back.

Aw man, I just realized that most of the emulators for the Craiginator will probably support 2xSAI for extra awesome when scaled up. :)

MWeston: Will the Craiginator have an ARM-80 coprocessor for people who want to play pirated games?

Arsenè said:
Photos of several components have already been posted. What more could you possibly want? ;)

Squidge said:
fusion_power said:
Yes, but I'm not wanted to say all these new-fashioned bad "I-..." or "A..." words. :lol:
Well, MWeston is the hardware designer and engineer, so maybe you should speak with him. I doubt it'll be added however (for reasons I can't say at the moment).

Oh sure, make me look like the bad guy. :)

We are at the limit with margins to guarantee we can meet the price point alluded to on this forum, +/- $20 (yeah right, like it could be minus!). The hardware is now finalized other than tweaking passives for proper operation.

When the craiginator is released I think it will be nice to have a suggestion topic where people can post ideas for additions to the system. Depending on the cost to add and volumes of sales, it can be decided if the mod can be made as a device which attaches to the craiginator. Right now, I think adding even more stuff and jacking the selling price closer to $400 is a bad idea. Maybe a $50 slim attachment to the bottom of the unit with IR, accelerometer, HDMI, VGA, 5.1 surround, and flashlight would be better than making everyone pay more for stuff they might not want. ;)

atomicthumbs: What is this ARM-80? I'm not familiar with it. Of course we cannot actively support pirating games, but you do what you want. :)

It would be nice if it also had some form of expansion slot on the back where you can add components in a way they don't sick out.

Maybe it could be made so you can "clip" "standard" sized usb sticks on the back and sell re-branded bluetooth/whatever sticks that fit in there and are supported out of the box.

I was actually experimenting with a sensor addon pack for the 2x, including a microphone, magnetic field detector (motion detection and accelerometer) and a photo transistor for , for a 2x based robot project.
But we ran out of time, so we never finnished the project.

But the idea of having motion detection is truly a great idea, there is so many different things that you can do with it, and on the craginator it's even better since it can handle more complex 3D applications.

A couple of ideas that had for the sensory pack was a puzzle game where you have to walk and jump in reality to get over obstacles.
Now just think, with WiFi you could do this multiplayer.
This would be pretty fun to watch too ;)

Another idea we came up with, well actually one of my friends did, was something he called personal RPG, where you load a map of your house,
and maybe your street or city and you walk around to different random locations to complete quests or just for he heck of it.
Now we scrapped that idea since the accuracy of the motion detector alone isn't enough to calculate long-distance travels.
And we did not really want to buy a gps receiver since the once that was available to us at that time was expensive and we were poor.
But nowadays gps receivers are cheaper so it could be done without costing too much money.

To conclude; The idea of an motion detector add-on is great.

Dimacus said:
A couple of ideas that had for the sensory pack was a puzzle game where you have to walk and jump in reality to get over obstacles.

Watch this. Get to point when he talks about yelling into handheld. Imagine same thing with jumping ;)

MWeston said:
atomicthumbs: What is this ARM-80? I'm not familiar with it. Of course we cannot actively support pirating games, but you do what you want. :)
I've heard it's good at cracking encryption.

Pronounce it. ;)

Vimacs said:
It would be nice if it also had some form of expansion slot on the back where you can add components in a way they don't sick out.

Maybe it could be made so you can "clip" "standard" sized usb sticks on the back and sell re-branded bluetooth/whatever sticks that fit in there and are supported out of the box.
Idea: A ridge on the bottom of the case (back and under the screen) with USB ports facing towards the top! That would work! It could have mounting holes for various things.

And maybe a charger connector too, so we could have huge battery packs for century play time!

atomicthumbs said:
MWeston said:

Pronounce it. ;)

lol pirate jokes... arrr...

atomicthumbs said:

Pronounce it. ;)
Oh geez, now I get it!

Ah, weak! :)
cartman.jpg

Alex. said:
You will never play a game meant for horizontal orientation in vertical mode, so why should this be automatic? Each program should set its own screen orientation based on its particular needs.

Hardware modes for both orientations would kick ass, then there won't be any speed issues.
Hallelujah! Ideally you would use a register and then the framebuffer would change its axis order, but I don't know if it's possible.

DaveC said:
There should be various resolution options that can be set be set for each preference. There should be a 1:1, 2:1, even double modes included without all of that blurry filter crap that is introduced with "window resizing" for horizontal stuff.

As for vertical modes it should have even 2:1 double modes too as many of these games were 240x320 (or close enough) and would look best just doubled. Even though vertical use will be very awkward because of the design of this thing it should still be included for those that want to use external controllers, or want to put up with the poor ergonomics in this orientation to be able to play those games with a decent image size.
Why the hell would you want that when it's so easy to do it by hand? Not to mention we'll probably have some sort of hardware scaling just as on the GP2X so a few lines of code and there you'd have your new resolution thing.

Anyways MWeston, asking us what add-ons to add in a future release is a glorious idea, as I was just going to suggest it. The $50 add-on thing is great too, as basically at some point most people who'd have bought a Craiginator would want it once must have games/apps would use some of its features.

A_SN said:
Why the hell would you want that when it's so easy to do it by hand? Not to mention we'll probably have some sort of hardware scaling just as on the GP2X so a few lines of code and there you'd have your new resolution thing.
Because hardware scaling looks like shit when it is some weird fractional number that is why ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back