Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
quadomatic said:
sam fisher said:
Heh, i'm just angry that we generally pay twice what you do for everything :p
I have sympathy for your predicament. I don't think it's fair that you should pay more for systems when they're cheaper in the USA.

But anyways, I can't wait for this project to be done so I can enjoy it. Until then, a GP2X, which I should get in the next couple weeks, should hopefully hold me over till then.

Does this OMAP chip support 720p HD video decoding? I saw a post mentioning something like that earlier. If it does...drools :D

Has Craig decided on a screen? What's a good estimate of the resolution?

Also, about emulation capabilities, is it probable that this will be able to emulate all 2D systems fullspeed? And, is it likely Playstation and N64 will be emulated fullspeed?

PSX will likely be fullspeed thanks to Zodttd and the PSX4ALL team. I cannot say about the N64. 2D systems shouldn't pose a problem on this beast ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that the OMAP will most likely make fullspeed N64 emulation possible, and also with the OMAP, fullspeed PSX will be a given.

-God Ginrai

sold said:
Dammit, I've skipped a few pages in this thread out of frustration ( and also because I'm f*cken' drunk) but this whole thread had gotten to the point where its insulting to the community, let alone to craigix and co.

We get information about the control layout and the soc, and no sooner than when we get word from the horses mouth do people start bitching. "Oh, I dont need 2 analogue sticks, If they are going with the OMAP I want the cheaper outdated 2 series cause I'm a f*cking cheapskate." F*ck this thread in its stingy whining ass.

I for one am out of here until the new device is released. I hope my use of offensive language doesn't get me banned permanently, but for jebus sake, support this thing or don't. There was a period of time where craigix and the rest of the undisclosed investors may have given half a toss about our opinions. But this thread has taken their generosity too far. Why dont we just wait and see what eventuates instead of acting like we have a right to ownership of a device we didn't have a goddamn thing to do with financially.

P.S. To the current gp2x users from America who don't wanna pay for what is most likely going to be the most powerful open console EVER, eat it you sonsabitches."Our currency isn't worth squat now, what are we gonna do now that we gotta feel the burn of spending our disposable income when we could just piss it in the wind painlessly in the past?" Welcome to the real world. Thats what you get for electing warmongers.

And to all those who disagree and feel the need, flame away you silly bastards.

Bye.
spengbobsiguv9.png

Also, we didn't elect them. They stole it twice. And they destroyed our currency ($1USD = $1.03 canadian).

After reading all the post over the last few week and posting now and then, and getting my suggesting for a 3 way accelerometer dissembled of hand for adding to much to the cost and adding more moving parts, how fast the mob mentality changes , l have to say I think I'm starting to hate all of you.

Now people are saying they are willing to pay 400 Euro's sight unseen and f$ck the US market, and f#ck Americans.
This will not be made in the UK, i dont no why people keep thinking this, but last I checked, the UK was not a hub for high tech like cellphone and pda makers, all you have is filthy breakfast food, and a inbreed royal family. This new hand held will be the best thing you @ss holes have done since monty-Python and "the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" books.

If this was made in the UK the new hand held would be easly cost more then double the $200 figure people have been kicking around, it's just not cost affective to do it like that. I would be more then willing to buy hand held X but to put the price of the new hand held into prospective fully modded PSP with Mod chip cost about $320us, so hand held X at $340us is very competitive in the world of brew handhelds.

PS. I know Americans can be real f@cking dumb, but thank the god's we dont have a Queen.

sold said:
Dammit, I've skipped a few pages in this thread out of frustration ( and also because I'm f*cken' drunk) but this whole thread had gotten to the point where its insulting to the community, let alone to craigix and co.

We get information about the control layout and the soc, and no sooner than when we get word from the horses mouth do people start bitching. "Oh, I dont need 2 analogue sticks, If they are going with the OMAP I want the cheaper outdated 2 series cause I'm a f*cking cheapskate." F*ck this thread in its stingy whining ass.

I for one am out of here until the new device is released. I hope my use of offensive language doesn't get me banned permanently, but for jebus sake, support this thing or don't. There was a period of time where craigix and the rest of the undisclosed investors may have given half a toss about our opinions. But this thread has taken their generosity too far. Why dont we just wait and see what eventuates instead of acting like we have a right to ownership of a device we didn't have a goddamn thing to do with financially.

P.S. To the current gp2x users from America who don't wanna pay for what is most likely going to be the most powerful open console EVER, eat it you sonsabitches."Our currency isn't worth squat now, what are we gonna do now that we gotta feel the burn of spending our disposable income when we could just piss it in the wind painlessly in the past?" Welcome to the real world. Thats what you get for electing warmongers.

And to all those who disagree and feel the need, flame away you silly bastards.

Bye.
DO NOT generalize American citizens warmongers just because of the policies of our President.

Also, in case you hadn't noticed, his approval rating is around 28%. We want out of Iraq just as bad as the rest of the world, and most of the country probably didn't want to go to Iraq in the first place.

Jeez, why is there so much hate of Americans on this board. I know that overall the world doesn't like the USA. Hate on the government all you want. I don't care what you think about our government. BUT, you have no reason to hate on US Citizens.

All in all, can we PLEASE stop talking about differences between our individual nations and just talk about this kick ass device?

lawndart said:
After reading all the post over the last few week and posting now and then, and getting my suggesting for a 3 way accelerometer dissembled of hand for adding to much to the cost and adding more moving parts, how fast the mob mentality changes , l have to say I think I'm starting to hate all of you.

Now people are saying they are willing to pay 400 Euro's sight unseen and f$ck the US market, and f#ck Americans.
This will not be made in the UK, i dont no why people keep thinking this, but last I checked, the UK was not a hub for high tech like cellphone and pda makers, all you have is filthy breakfast food, and a inbreed royal family. This new hand held will be the best thing you a@s holes have done since monty-Python and "the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" books.

If this was made in the UK the new hand held would be easly cost more then double the $200 figure people have been kicking around, it's just not cost affective to do it like that. I would be more then willing to buy hand held X but not for at least a year, and only if it very well made and it could fit in my pocket as well as the gp2x or PSP.

One more thing to put the price of the new hand held into prospective fully modded PSP with Mod chip cost about $320us, so hand held X at $340us is very competitive in the world of brew handhelds
you sir are one hell of a tw@t, i suggest that if you hate all of us in this community then f£uk right off and take your worthless opinions elsewhere

atomicthumbs said:
OKAY, PEOPLE!

camlab081296.gif

Abandon all of your flames now. Back to the original subject:

atomicthumbs said:
Exophase said:
What's wrong with Firefox? I assume 128MB should be enough..
I don't like firefox. Perhaps Opera, if there's a port for ARM Linux somewhere.

Hmmm...

http://www.opera.com/products/devices/evalkit/index.dml

I think most people would rather use a free/open browser than a commercial one. Firefox is "good enough" by majority standards.

Exophase said:
I think most people would rather use a free/open browser than a commercial one. Firefox is "good enough" by majority standards.
Ah, but Opera includes many features you'd need to download (slow) extensions in Firefox for. For instance:

IMAP, POP3 and newgroup (NNTP) clients in 520KB.

IRC client.

A widgets engine (we might not need this :p)

Zoom and fitting for small screens.

Craploads of other stuff.

All in a large thing of awesome, that is much faster than Firefox (or even Swiftfox) on pretty much any computer it's tested on.

Has Firefox ever been used for anything other than PCs?

Opera seems like it's been the choice most often for porting to other devices...but I'm not expert.

If possible, I'd like Firefox. If not that, then go with Opera.

l have to say I think I'm starting to hate all of you.
:)

as for a web bowser, maybe use the sorce from a old version of firefox. I think it has less overhead.

Eolair's design, and talk of two analog sticks inspired me to try my hand at a mockup:
newconsoleon4.jpg

It's much rougher on details than Eolair's, was just trying to get a feel for the aspect ratio and possible control arrangement. Obviously Dualshock inspired, and adding a few more buttons, keeping in mind possible vertical play with the dpad. Comments and suggestions welcome. :)

You know what might be truly revolutionary? A trackball on the right side instead of a second joystick. Am I crazy?

PS... the pixel dimensions on the screen in the above mockup are exactly half... 400x240. So the real thing would be twice as sharp in both directions, quadruple the total pixels overall.

atomicthumbs said:
Ah, but Opera includes many features you'd need to download (slow) extensions in Firefox for. For instance:

IMAP, POP3 and newgroup (NNTP) clients in 520KB.

IRC client.
Why do we want these things bloating up our WEB browser? Let's use other programs for this.

atomicthumbs said:
A widgets engine (we might not need this :p)
Indeed.

atomicthumbs said:
Zoom and fitting for small screens.
800x480 is not a small screen, this isn't a Nintendo DS.

atomicthumbs said:
Craploads of other stuff.
Not convincing.

atomicthumbs said:
All in a large thing of awesome, that is much faster than Firefox (or even Swiftfox) on pretty much any computer it's tested on.
Speed isn't an issue if the target is fast enough, and I bet this will be.

When you get down to it, I don't think anyone is going to put work into something you have to pay for to license.

I've contacted Opera and told them the situation. Hopefully I'll get a positive response.

Ah, yes. I forgot about Firefox's memory leaks. 96MB after being on for an hour is not good.

Opera (as I sit here typign this) is taking up 10MB of memory after being on for most of the day. Also, Opera (8.5) works fine on my 206MHZ SA1101 Windows CE device (Jornada 720 HPC), whereas Firefox (under Debian Linux) barely works. Keep that in mind (Opera is designed to have a smaller footprint, more performance, and more features than other browsers).

And when 9.5 comes out, it's going to be 50% faster! Yay!

Morwynd said:
A trackball on the right side instead of a second joystick. Am I crazy?
Yes.

atomicthumbs said:
I've contacted Opera and told them the situation. Hopefully I'll get a positive response.

Ah, yes. I forgot about Firefox's memory leaks. 96MB after being on for an hour is not good.

Opera (as I sit here typign this) is taking up 10MB of memory after being on for most of the day. Also, Opera (8.5) works fine on my 206MHZ SA1101 Windows CE device (Jornada 720 HPC), whereas Firefox (under Debian Linux) barely works. Keep that in mind (Opera is designed to have a smaller footprint, more performance, and more features than other browsers).

And when 9.5 comes out, it's going to be 50% faster! Yay!
That's a friggin 206MHz ARM device, if this uses OMAP3430 it'll be a good 3-4x faster than that at least, and with 4x the memory! No one cares about performance on your comparatively low end device.

Opera is designed to cost money. This should really be the end of the discussion for pretty much everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back