Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
quadomatic said:
How much does the OMAP3430 cost?
No one knows (apart from Craig of course), other than we assume it's going to cost quite a bit more (incl. double or more) than the MX31 which is about $25.

cj1138 said:
I don't want to have to rely on inflexible, restrictive, buggy binary-only modules. Do you?
Unfortunately, you get that with most SoCs to some degree. I don't see the 3D module on the MX31 documented for example, although the basic chip functions seem to be. So even if you chose that one, you would still be working with binary-only modules.

Too many features=too costly, and I was hoping this would sell for about $200...probably a pipe dream with it's amazing capabilities

Official word from Craig: You can almost double that price (£200 incl VAT, so ~$340 without vat)

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Official word from Craig: You can almost double that price (£200 incl VAT, so ~$340 without vat)

Hmmmm... I would still buy it for that price. But there better be some extras included for that such as batteries + charger, or if it's lithium include just the charger and some connector cables. And maybe a coupon for an SD Card. :p

Damn you americans, you aren't going to get laods free with it to make up for the higher price! The higher price is because it is BETTER than the Gp2x. Oh, you will get a charger as Craig has said it will use a lithion ion battery and you will have to be given a charger for that battery.

And to all the rest, please don't ask for the SoC to be a cheaper and less powerful one... We want to take our new beast to the max!, a beast that will chew all of it's rivals and make peoples eyeballs fall out at awkward moments!

C'mon, let's just go for the best, I'm sure that it'll be worthwhile B)

BTW. If the BlueTooth extra isn't too expensive, I would suggest including it ( I don't use BlueTooth but most people would probably like it )

Edit: I feel better now :D

X-Code said:
And to all the rest, please don't ask for the SoC to be a cheaper and less powerful one... We want to take our new beast to the max!, a beast that will chew all of it's rivals and make peoples eyeballs fall out at awkward moments!
C'mon, let's just go for the best, I'm sure that it'll be worthwhile B)

X-Code, I could not have said it better myself!

sam fisher said:
Damn you americans, you aren't going to get laods free with it to make up for the higher price! The higher price is because it is BETTER than the Gp2x. Oh, you will get a charger as Craig has said it will use a lithion ion battery and you will have to be given a charger for that battery.
Uhh, please don't generalize Americans. I'm not generalizing people from any other country on this forum. :angry:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you won't get loads of nice features without the cost. Just because someone is cheap doesn't mean they're American.

No, but to anyone else £200 is a brilliant price for this but directly converted to dollars (not substracting VAT) most americans on here have moaned about a $400 price tag (actually only $340).

sam fisher said:
No, but to anyone else £200 is a brilliant price for this but directly converted to dollars (not substracting VAT) most americans on here have moaned about a $400 price tag (actually only $340).
Well, $400 is double the PSP price AFAIK, so that is understandable. To users who don't see the potential behind a system that fully supports homebrew applications it seems like a rather large price tag. However, with the performance you get, and the multitude of free software, it begins to seem very reasonable indeed.

In other words, those that moan don't really understand what this thing will be able to do. I know I'm not moaning, and I'm American. :)

sam fisher said:
Please do realize that generally things in the USA don't cost as much as things in the UK. That's probably why £200 doesn't seem like a brilliant price to people in the USA.

Consider PS3. In the UK, PS3 is about $810 in USD. In the USA, it's $500 for the same one. Even Nintendo Wii, which is $250 in the USA, sells for $365 in the UK. I'm not sure why there's such a large price difference. I'm guessing it probably has to do with the amount of expendable income people have.

But anyways, I'll still be saving up for this device...well this and a PC upgrade. I'm buying a used GP2X MK2 now to hold me over until I have the money for this and/or until it's released. I'd rather the system is "done when it's done" rather than setting a date.

quadomatic said:
sam fisher said:
Please do realize that generally things in the USA don't cost as much as things in the UK. That's probably why £200 doesn't seem like a brilliant price to people in the USA.

Consider PS3. In the UK, PS3 is about $810 in USD. In the USA, it's $500 for the same one. Even Nintendo Wii, which is $250 in the USA, sells for $365 in the UK. I'm not sure why there's such a large price difference. I'm guessing it probably has to do with the amount of expendable income people have.

But anyways, I'll still be saving up for this device...well this and a PC upgrade. I'm buying a used GP2X MK2 now to hold me over until I have the money for this and/or until it's released. I'd rather the system is "done when it's done" rather than setting a date.

But this is a UK product, hence Craig will want a UK profit, hence you pay a UK price. I.E. say $40 is an acceptable profit per unit but that is nothing in England. Craig would need a £40 profit for it to have the same value over here.

£200 is not an unreasonable amount if this machine is capable of full speed emulation of all 2D systems with a nice big screen and good build quality.

The power of the machine seems evident from its (so far reported) specs, so for me, and I'm sure others - the build quality (and design) is going to be of far more interest to me.

For instance, something that almost spoils the GP2X for me is the viewable angle of the LCD, its very poor.

What your probably forgetting is that the PS3 is done by Sony Computer Entertainment. They have big offices/etc in the USA/UK/Japan and others, so they can sell a PS3 for $500 and the money goes to a company based in the USA, whereas the profit from the UK models go to a company in the UK. If SCE was based solely in the UK, you can be expected to pay $800 for it.

Now, craig's company only exists in the UK, so everything will go from there, hence you will be paying a UK price and simply importing it to your own country. This will mean you pay far above the average for that kind of device in your country.

Besides, most stuff made in the USA usually turns up in the UK with a conversion rate of $1 = £1, so we get stitched up just the same!

It is exactly as Squidge tells it. Oh, and based on some stats from google the GP-community is far larger in Europe than it is in the US. So the US market is not top priority in this case.

Back to the control scheme. Since we are going to have two analog sticks, it might seem a little bulky, which I am more than happy to deal with, but could there be a way of popping in and out the analog sticks so when you don't want to use them you could just put them down somehow and get them out of your way?

Nothing on the system will be removable as this would lead to serious development hell. The analogues will likely be flat and small, similar to the psp style (but NOT the psp one).

craigix said:
Nothing on the system will be removable as this would lead to serious development hell. The analogues will likely be flat and small, similar to the psp style (but NOT the psp one).

Now I'm 50x MORE curious to see what the final design will be!!

Curse you craigix!!!!! Thou hath filled me with longing for more info!!

craigix said:

That's sounding nice, especially the NOT PSP stick :lol:

Any new news that you would like to share with us? ( I know the answer, but I had to ask lol )

quadomatic said:
I think of the price like this:

iPod (Music + Videos) = $200
PSP (Games) = $200
PDA (PIM suite, etc.) = $200
GP2X cousin = (iPod + PSP + (PDA/2))^2

:D

Lets put the price thing to rest now shall we?

Simply put, if your unhappy about the price, don't pay it. Find an equivalent device that costs less (if possible).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back