Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC said:
realyst said:
And to hell with your assertion that I don't want MAME anymore. I like MAME. I like it a lot. None of the designs proposed or hinted at would prevent you from turning the console on its head. And even if it did through some miracle of physics, what percentage of MAME players turned their monitor on its side to play a vertical shooter? The resolution will be adequate either way.

And what about FPS games? Some people happen to like those. So sorry they're not to your liking.
Well yes there are some designs that make vertical play awkward. If you had to crane your hand around to the top to fire while using the d-pad on the bottom (there would be no buttons there as that is where the analog would be) that would pretty much prevent you from doing it as it is too uncomfortable. You would then have to play in the normal horizontal orientation. 2 problems with that. One you would get a tiny 2" GBA micro sized image. Second actually the resolution is *not* adequate. 320 vertical doesn't go into 480. So you would have to fractionally stretch the stuff to get that wonderful 2" image size. That would make the image ugly as well as small. Many MAME players didn't turn their monitors on their side, but their monitors were much larger than 4" and were 4:3 so it was not as big of a problem ;)

FPS games? I never said I didn't like them. They are actually my favorite genre and that is basically most of what I have and play on my Xbox 360. I just said they are not too impressive on a small screen.

If the left stick had a click could you play vertically using that and the left shoulder as buttons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two analogue sticks and a digital pad for the win!!!

I have already explained my reasoning behind why this is the best solution. Look at my crap drawing earlier on in this thread. analogue sticks should be higher than the pad and buttons and closer to the screen than the digital pad and buttons that way they never get in the way.

DaveC said:
But really, why do we need *two* analogs? One analog and one d-pad should be enough. I mean is PSX THAT important? that is all that would use that and most of those games can use a D-pad anyway. Is that all this is
An analog controller could be used as a mouse, as well as scrolling windows around/etc in PDA applications, plus it can be used in 3D homebrew games for camera angle/etc, plus it can be used in emulators. I'd say there's a number of uses for it.

javaJake said:
Bluetooth, IR, two video outputs, 3D graphics that supports OpenGL 2... :blink: Is there anything this thing can't do?
Read the legend. Most of those (apart from 3D) require additional hardware. Eg. Bluetooth requires TI's BlueLink hardware at additional cost.

We have a few details, but don't know for sure as details like that seem to be in the NDA category, so are not published on the web site. Unfortunately, that also means that when that details are known, they still can't be published on a public website :(

So I guess its just a "try it and see".

I would imagine however it was between DS and PSP. I'm basing that of the assumption that the DS just has a geometry engine rather than a full 3D engine (120,000 polygons/sec). I'm sure even the MX31 can do a million, and thats the lite version of the PowerVR MBX.

Glad to hear its gonna have 2 analogue sticks. I've been waiting to hear some information from craigix in this thread about the controls.

I have a question. Isn't the OMAP meant to outperform the DS/PSP hardware? That was the impression I got. Just wondering if anyone has any info.

Outperforming the "competition" is not what my concern is, but the reading I've done and some info in this thread seem contradictory.

una-i said:
If cost is an issue I thing even OMAP2420 and OMAP2430 can come into play, it includes MBX acelerator and has floating point.
That would be more like a psp.
Also 2420 and 2430 are allready in the "street" in many devices and phones.
Apparently the OMAP2430 should be considered a low cost alternative rather than a superior to the OMAP2420. The OMAP 2420 has the "full" PowerVR MBX/VGP, while OMAP 2430 only has Lite versions. So the 2420 will be much superior in 3D performance. This is maybe not so obvious at first glance.

So if you want to consider the OMAP2 family for the new device then I think the OMAP2420 would be the best choice. The OMAP2430 looks like a down grade compared to the i.MX31.

I think it would be possible to fit two analogue controls and still maintain a reasonable level of "vertical playability" ;) Something like this perhaps. Two analogue nubs (or sticks) on each side, a dpad and plenty of buttons:

2xanaloguezr6.jpg

Larger image

Eolair said:
2xanaloguezr6.jpg

Larger image

I like the look of this, but I would like to have something to cover the screen either detachable, or a clamshell design. But something more than a screen protector that would protect the entire unit face, and is there to be a keyboard in this design or not?

This is separate from the above to anyone - the tits idea for dual shoulder buttons is good, what about 'borrowing' the idea of 2 Z-triggers/xbox analog triggers - instead of putting 4 shoulders on top place 2 above then 2 triggers nearer the middle back. They don't have to be analog just to be clear. Good for FPS with the analog sticks- easier to get to while using them, and for this 64 emu if it actually happens, the best thing as I see it is they could actually help give it comfort and stability in your hands done right. Anyone?

X-Code said:
Eolair said:
I think it would be possible to fit two analogue controls and still maintain a reasonable level of "vertical playability" ;) Something like this perhaps. Two analogue nubs (or sticks) on each side, a dpad and plenty of buttons:

2xanaloguezr6.jpg

Larger image

A sexy pic indeed :)

I think that's a REALLY nice design.

The only thing that I'm unsure about, is that is there really enough room for your thumbs to move the analog nubs on the sides without pressing buttons.

Also, has the kind of D-PAD been decided? I think the one in the design is fine. Maybe someone should just go buy a whole bunch of sega saturn controllers on ebay and rip out the dpads :blink:

Squidge said:
javaJake said:
Bluetooth, IR, two video outputs, 3D graphics that supports OpenGL 2... :blink: Is there anything this thing can't do?
Read the legend. Most of those (apart from 3D) require additional hardware. Eg. Bluetooth requires TI's BlueLink hardware at additional cost.

Oh, wow, I didn't see that little tiny legend in the corner. Ack, oh well. The thing will still be amazing. (And no doubt some of this stuff will be included.)

javaJake said:
Squidge said:
javaJake said:

Oh, wow, I didn't see that little tiny legend in the corner. Ack, oh well. The thing will still be amazing. (And no doubt some of this stuff will be included.)

wifi will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back