Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eolair said:
2xanaloguezr6.jpg
I like. If the buttons and sticks are positioned correctly, your fingers could move easily between the sticks and the buttons or d-pad.

The picture gave me a name idea... "PeGaSys", or "pe.ga.sys" or something of that sort. It stands for Personal Gaming System. Eolair has "Personal Gaming Assistant", but that last word... well... nevermind. If it sounds familiar, "Pegasus (Greek: Πήγασος (Pégasos)) was a winged horse that was the son of Poseidon..."

sam fisher said:
javaJake said:
Oh, wow, I didn't see that little tiny legend in the corner. Ack, oh well. The thing will still be amazing. (And no doubt some of this stuff will be included.)
wifi will be.

Right, and probably the Touch Screen Controller, and the TWL4030 (unless there's something that replaces the TWL4030).

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
Eolair said:
I like. If the buttons and sticks are positioned correctly, your fingers could move easily between the sticks and the buttons or d-pad.

The picture gave me a name idea... "PeGaSys", or "pe.ga.sys" or something of that sort. It stands for Personal Gaming System. Eolair has "Personal Gaming Assistant", but that last word... well... nevermind. If it sounds familiar, "Pegasus (Greek: Πήγασος (Pégasos)) was a winged horse that was the son of Poseidon..."

sam fisher said:
javaJake said:
Oh, wow, I didn't see that little tiny legend in the corner. Ack, oh well. The thing will still be amazing. (And no doubt some of this stuff will be included.)
wifi will be.

Right, and probably the Touch Screen Controller, and the TWL4030 (unless there's something that replaces the TWL4030).

Thats a cool name, PeGaSys. Sounds good.

Maybe that should be the official name, since in all likelihood, it can't be named GP3X.

javaJake said:
Bluetooth, IR, two video outputs, 3D graphics that supports OpenGL 2... :blink: Is there anything this thing can't do?
So now it is confirmed that this will have bluetooth and IR? I guess I missed that part. That is fantastic.

About the choice of SoC...

I want a SoC with readily available documentation. If documentation on the OMAP is not available to everyone who wants it, under non-NDA terms, then forget about it, I say. I will definitely not buy any device with any such secret SoC. Also, you can't future proof anything, anyway, so don't waste time trying and instead choose the SoC that makes the most sense right now.

In my opinion, the availability of documentation under non-NDA terms must be the primary factor in the choice of SoC for this device for which homebrew is everything. Price versus performance has to be secondary. Therefore, my vote is on the i.MX31. I don't want to have to rely on inflexible, restrictive, buggy binary-only modules. Do you?

mavsman4457 said:
javaJake said:
Bluetooth, IR, two video outputs, 3D graphics that supports OpenGL 2... :blink: Is there anything this thing can't do?
So now it is confirmed that this will have bluetooth and IR? I guess I missed that part. That is fantastic.

I've edited my post before any more people get confused.

sam fisher said:
No bluetooth, not IR, only Wifi. The SoC COULD have bluetooth etc with added extras but why would you want bluetooth when you could have the far superior WiFi?
Bluetooth would allow us to connect to bluetooth keyboards and mice and headphones/headsets. That would be nice. What's the SoC? Oh, system on chip I assume.

Edit: By the way I think that RetroGrade picture looks great. That d-pad looks pretty good because it would be easy to press the diagonals unlike the PSP d-pad which is an absolute joke.

cj1138 said:
In my opinion, the availability of documentation under non-NDA terms must be the primary factor in the choice of SoC for this device for which homebrew is everything. Price versus performance has to be secondary. Therefore, my vote is on the i.MX31. I don't want to have to rely on inflexible, restrictive, buggy binary-only modules. Do you?
No, but let's not do everything "right now", let's wait and see what happens with the newest OMAP first before we jump to lesser SoCs. I don't mind future-proofing this either so that its specs last for another four years until its outdated. I always recommend to people they buy a high-end PC from a quality manufacturer even if they won't use all the features it includes because it'll last them forever.

Obviously I don't have as much experience, so prove me wrong if I am wrong, lest I accidentally lead us in the wrong direction, if that's even possible. :)

It looks, like the new Machine will have alot of Buttons. I hope, there will be some kind of controll-standard defined, so not every program use another buttons for start/quit/going in menus etc. This was a nightmare on the GP2X and I hope, we have more professional button definitions for the new device. So its much easier to controll a program, when we know, that start Button really means start and Select means select or Menu or so. I don't want to quit programms with pushing booth Shoulder Buttons anymore for example.

P.S.: does the Handheld fit into a pocket with 2 Analog Sticks attached? I still want to use this Device as Music Player.

mavsman4457 said:
Bluetooth would allow us to connect to bluetooth keyboards and mice and headphones/headsets. That would be nice.
IMHO, the thing we have to keep in mind at all times is the original intent of the device - gaming. The idea is to make it for gaming, and other things will follow suite. If Bluetooth fits in there somewhere for gaming, bravo. If there's enough time, money, or whatever for Bluetooth to be added, let's go for it.

mavsman4457, this post wasn't specifically meant for you, but for everyone else, so that we don't expect Bluetooth to be included if it doesn't fit the design.

Is there going to be a keyboard for this? I think features like keyboard, bluetooth, etc. are just overkill. If there's a USB Host port on it, then thats all we need.

Too many features=too costly, and I was hoping this would sell for about $200...probably a pipe dream with it's amazing capabilities

WiFi is a must have though

Okay, I'm in a bad mood but anyway....

I'm fed up of posters here saying "I want all these features, but I don't want to pay for them!!!!"

If we want a real advance from the GP2x, with excellent features and appeal to LOTS of people (not just 'spamming'DaveC) then we will have to pay a little more for it! And if it isn't a significant advance from the GP2x then there is no point, the handeld emu/homebrew market is a little saturated at the moment, with the PSP, DS,GP32 and the GP2x. No, this has to be really much better and offer many more possibilities before it will sell!!!

The new GP2x will please some, and the new Craig machine will please others. The new opportunities offered by this machine should bring lots of new faces to the boards, and hopefully make a nice profit for those with the nerve and the vision to go for it! To make a machine for $200 what is the point? Who could make a profit to justify it?

As I said, I was gonna get a n800. Not now. I'll wait for this. I bet a lot of people who want firstly an internet device, and secondly a gaming device will be interested. We could all be happy!

And Dave is really getting on my tits, he is worse now than Epi ever was. How can he 'know' that mame will be impossible?

Humph!!!!

lubidog said:
Okay, I'm in a bad mood but anyway....

I'm fed up of posters here saying "I want all these features, but I don't want to pay for them!!!!"

If we want a real advance from the GP2x, with excellent features and appeal to LOTS of people (not just 'spamming'DaveC) then we will have to pay a little more for it! And if it isn't a significant advance from the GP2x then there is no point, the handeld emu/homebrew market is a little saturated at the moment, with the PSP, DS,GP32 and the GP2x. No, this has to be really much better and offer many more possibilities before it will sell!!!

The new GP2x will please some, and the new Craig machine will please others. The new opportunities offered by this machine should bring lots of new faces to the boards, and hopefully make a nice profit for those with the nerve and the vision to go for it! To make a machine for $200 what is the point? Who could make a profit to justify it?

As I said, I was gonna get a n800. Not now. I'll wait for this. I bet a lot of people who want firstly an internet device, and secondly a gaming device will be interested. We could all be happy!

And Dave is really getting on my tits, he is worse now than Epi ever was. How can he 'know' that mame will be impossible?

Humph!!!!
If that was aimed at me, I did say that it was unlikely to sell at $200, and was just saying that too many features, like bluetooth, ir, keyboards, and etc. would probably be overkill.

And I do understand where you're coming from. I think the SoC that was chosen from the TI line will provide a lot of new possibilities.

lubidog said:
And Dave is really getting on my tits
Same here. :ph34r:

Anyway i'm glad that the Craiginator is going to be more than just a games machine, because unlike what seems to be millions of people on here ;) I like surfing the net while i'm on the move, and I can also use it to take notes in business meetings (or at least pretend to :lol: ).

Lurkio said:
lubidog said:
And Dave is really getting on my tits
Same here. :ph34r:

Anyway i'm glad that the Craiginator is going to be more than just a games machine, because unlike what seems to be millions of people on here ;) I like surfing the net while i'm on the move, and I can also use it to take notes in business meetings (or at least pretend to :lol: ).

Oh yea, that would be pretty cool if you could take notes on them.

What color is it going to be? If it's going to be white, you'd probably want the kind of plastic used on stuff like iPods, but where would you get that kind of plastic?

I'd bet it would be pricey too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back