Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vorporeal said:
I see where you're coming from, but people would much rather make a mock-up and have other people critique and tweak it before they actually program the interface. It saves a lot of time to do that rather than to program a whole interface then go back later and make major changes. Trust me, programming interfaces is a lengthy and painful process.
Yeeeeah riiiiight. As if anyone over here who made a mock-up had what it takes to program anything.

atomicthumbs said:
Maybe he confused ln and dd.
How does that make more sense? Anyways, only a noob would insult (or whatever he was trying to do) someone with a unix command.

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
PokeParadox said:
No you don't get it. By we, I don't mean me and a couple of friends, I mean we, the community. It's one thing for Craig to go this is what is best, but that would only suit Craig himself.
lol, the community, riiight. Look, that GP2X Standards thing is a failure as in nobody in the community gave a fuck about what it said. It had no fucking impact. You can do it again with the Craiginator but still no one will give a fuck about it.

I followed the standards thing in retrovirus RTS and after it came out in my other games (tunar and oh! the humanity!)

The standards thing is a great idea.

dodgyville said:
A_SN said:
PokeParadox said:
No you don't get it. By we, I don't mean me and a couple of friends, I mean we, the community. It's one thing for Craig to go this is what is best, but that would only suit Craig himself.
lol, the community, riiight. Look, that GP2X Standards thing is a failure as in nobody in the community gave a fuck about what it said. It had no fucking impact. You can do it again with the Craiginator but still no one will give a fuck about it.

I followed the standards thing in retrovirus RTS and after it came out in my other games (tunar and oh! the humanity!)

The standards thing is a great idea.

Oh, an anecdotal follower of it. It sooo proves me wrong! Anyways, I'm not saying having standards is a bad idea, I'm just saying, in order to be followed, it needs to be official, as in, made by the company that sells the console, at the time of the launch of it.

Yeeeeah riiiiight. As if anyone over here who made a mock-up had what it takes to program anything.

Me for example...i made mockup(not of interface), but i am programer.
And why you so mad about people who made mockups? They only want to help.

You got to be kidding right half this thread is nearly flames and people venting their frustrations.

not only that we got 2 threads now dedicated to this thing.

closing one of them wouldn't be a bad idea.

I think thats what a lot of us are trying to gun for.

the craiginator is suppose to be able to compete on that level with the ds and psp.

on the commercial scale and the homebrew scale.

garzyboi said:
I think thats what a lot of us are trying to gun for.

the craiginator is suppose to be able to compete on that level with the ds and psp.

It is? When was this mentioned?

I'm just curious. How long would you on average be willing to wait for the "Craiginator" before turning your intrest to something else? 6 months? 1 year? I don't mean to be harsh but even at this point there has to be at least an artist's representation. I realize that nothing is written in stone. And even in last minute production things change to keep costs low but for the "Craiginator" to surface next year, the design must be finished by the end of this year. So if nothing materializes, design or firm specs wise, by the end of this year much longer would you be willing to wait?

Squidge said:
Thinking about these screenshots, are people really interested in seeing SquidgeSnes for the Craiginator - I thought most of you preferred PocketSnes?
I only used the (slower) PocketSnes for Games that need Transparency. Super Metroid is not really playable on SquidgeSNES for example. But I played alot other Games on SquidgeSNES because its so nice fast. :) Mario, Chaos Engine etc. are very good playable, even without Transparencies.

I'm sure, the Craiginator will not have that much trouble with the old SNES Transparent problem, right? ^_^

Oh, I have Ideas for a Menu structure of the new Handheld to. Because we have a nice Widescreen Display but many users prefer a 4:3 screen, why not use everything above 4:3 for Menu options and Scroll-Bars, Icons etc...?

Scribble:
screenusagege2.gif

Everything is controllable with Pad, Buttons or Touchpad of course. :) Its only for the Menu, some Applications like Movie-Player need the full screen, there can be other Menu-solutions in such programms.
This way, there is no big "switch" for the eyes between the Menu and the many 4:3 Programms/games/Emulators and like mentioned before, the free space there left and right also can be used for programm-menus etc...

A_SN said:
And people who insist on making mock-ups, if you guys have so nothing better to do, why not start learning a programming language and make functional programs instead of just mock-ups? Seriously tho, mock-ups are getting old.
Are you serious? Haven't you read what I said? I did a mockup because I'm working on it. I am a coder and I'm going to make an alternative menu (based on the mockup). What didn't you understand?

Do you think someone can code an application BEFORE designing the interface??

I think it's pointless spending days coding a new interface and then finding no one else likes it. Mockups solve this problem. (and even if the person doing the mockup can't code, it may encourage people who can to start work on such a design).

Also, since it sounds like its going to be pda than game console, can we drop tabs such as 'games' & 'emulators' (just have 'apps'). Even better, make the tabs customisable (user names them appropriately and decides what goes where).

efegea said:
A_SN said:
And people who insist on making mock-ups, if you guys have so nothing better to do, why not start learning a programming language and make functional programs instead of just mock-ups? Seriously tho, mock-ups are getting old.
Are you serious? Haven't you read what I said? I did a mockup because I'm working on it. I am a coder and I'm going to make an alternative menu (based on the mockup). What didn't you understand?

Do you think someone can code an application BEFORE designing the interface??

No I didn't read because I don't give a fuck. I only care about flaming you guys. lol, I rule.

It is all complete we just don't want to release anything until we are ready.

Pictures - Videos - Specs - Prototypes to devs - Preorders - Release

We have a goal of around Mar/April for the final systems to be shipping out. Some devs are getting PCBs in the next week or two.

This isn't a dream or a fanboy system (as some people keep saying) - it's real.

yaustar said:
garzyboi said:
It is? When was this mentioned?

I'd like to know too - an 'unknown' company trying to compete with Nintendo? Get real.

I think he talking more along the lines of selling the device - eg. Not targetting just homebrew and people wanting to play emulators.

DisgruntleElf said:
for the "Craiginator" to surface next year, the design must be finished by the end of this year.
Yes, and it will be, so no worries there :)

Squidge said:
Also, since it sounds like its going to be pda than game console, can we drop tabs such as 'games' & 'emulators' (just have 'apps'). Even better, make the tabs customisable (user names them appropriately and decides what goes where).
But this way it can not be automatic. So, how do the user and the menu organize the applications (and games) links? The menu do a search for executables and the user moves them to the tab he want? How it's being done on GMenu2X (I've never used it)?

We have to think about noob-friendliness, and I think the better way is using the standard linux way, which I think is using .desktop files (I'm not sure, I have to research about it) and having default tab names.

Here is the Gimp .desktop file that I've found on my system:

CODE
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=GNU Image Manipulation Program
Name[es]=Programa de manipulación de imágenes de GNU
GenericName=Image Editor
GenericName[es]=Editor de imagen
Comment=Create images and edit photographs
Comment[es]=Cree imágenes y edite fotografías
Exec=gimp-2.4 %U
TryExec=gimp-2.4
Icon=gimp
Terminal=false
Categories=Graphics;2DGraphics;RasterGraphics;GTK;
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=GIMP
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=General
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=2.4.1
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-OtherBinaries=gimp-2.4
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=image/bmp;image/g3fax;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/jpg;image/pjpeg; image/png;image/tiff;image/x-bmp;image/x-compressed-xcf;image/x-fits; image/x-gray;image/x-pcx;image/x-png;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap; image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-psd;image/x-sgi; image/x-sun-raster;image/x-tga;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xcf;image/x-xpixmap; image/x-xwindowdump;

It contains a lot of useful information. Also, the mimetypes for file association for the file explorer.

EDIT: broke the MimeType line because it fucked up the post

well if you did get a few companies a good looks at the system then there might be slight potential for someone to pick it up and do commercial work for it. I was at an IGDA meeting here in phoenix just yesterday. And was talking about the potential of both the craiginator and showing off the f-200. Granted after seeing the specs on craiginator most of the devs in the room were going WTF. I mean I'm not saying hey its going to wipe nintendo and sony off the map oh god forbid that. :rolleyes: but you know it would be nice to see another handheld sitting on the shelf next to nintendo and sony at your local gamestop or whatever store you stroll by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back