Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vimacs said:
Getting flash shouldn't be a huge problem, one could rip it out of the n800 firmware, of course that wouldn't be fully legal but...
I know firsthand that both Nokia and Archos have struggled in getting Flash 9 to work in their Linux devices. With Archos, their 5th generation devices have used a workaround and it has gotten better. Nokia too has struggled with getting their devices to work with Flash 9 (full speed). In fact, both the Nokia N800 and N810 don't currently play Flash 9 in full speed -- almost but not quite. This is the number one reason why I haven't purchased either the Nokia or Archos gadgets.

Now, then, since the OMAP 3430 is more powerful than the TI chips that both Nokia and Archos are using, the team working on the Craignator could finally pull the holy grail of getting Flash 9 to work at full speed. Again, getting this work will automatically attract new customers and get a jumpstart at both Nokia and Archos.

As for the BOB, I have read the specs and know that the Craignator will have a TV-out function. However, having TV out will not be sufficient if you don't have a remote to control the device from your couch. You can't underestimate the importance of having a remote. Indeed, when I recently purchased my latest digital camera, I made sure that it had a remote so that I could playback the videos that the camera records. If the cameras that I was researching didn't have a remote, I didn't even seriously consider them. Once more, having a remote will truly make the Craignator a portable media center that will appeal to the portable media player crowd. However, this BOB could be built later and purchased separately (but let potential customers know that it is in the works and what features it will have in order to entice them).

Ultimately, the team working on the Craignator have their work cut out, but if they succeed, they will create a wondrous and desired product that will appeal to a board range of potential customers. May they succeed!

Last edited by a moderator:
funtasticguy said:
Vimacs said:
Getting flash shouldn't be a huge problem, one could rip it out of the n800 firmware, of course that wouldn't be fully legal but...
I know firsthand that both Nokia and Archos has struggled in getting Flash 9 to work in their Linux devices. With Archos, their 5th generation devices have used a workaround and it has gotten better. Nokia too has struggled with getting their devices to work with Flash 9 (full speed). In fact, both the Nokia N800 and N810 don't currently play Flash 9 in full speed -- almost but not quite. This is the number one reason why I haven't purchased either the Nokia or Archos gadgets.

Now, then, since the OMAP 3430 is more powerful than the TI chips that both Nokia and Archos are using, the team working on the Craignator could finally pull the holy grail of getting Flash 9 to work at full speed. Again, getting this work will automatically attract new customers and get a jumpstart at both Nokia and Archos.

As for the BOB, I have read the specs and know that the Craignator will have a TV-out function. However, having TV out will not be sufficient if you don't have a remote to control the device from your couch. You can't underestimate the importance of having a remote. Indeed, when I recently purchased my latest digital camera, I made sure that it had a remote so that I could playback the videos that the camera records. If the cameras that I was researching didn't have a remote, I didn't even seriously consider them. Once more, having a remote will truly make the Craignator a portable media center that will appeal to the portable media player crowd. However, this BOB could be built later and purchased separately (but let potential customers know that it is in the works and what features it will have in order to entice them).

Ultimately, the team working on the Craignator have their work cut out, but if they succeed, they will create a wondrous and desired product that will appeal to a board range of potential customers. May they succeed!

That's pretty weird to have a remote for a console, but your argument makes sense. Unfortunately, no Bluetooth on the Craiginator, and I doubt we'll want to us WiFi for that.

Jackd said:
would it be easy to get drivers for usb bluetooth dongles, assuming this has a female usb host port on the side.
That's what I was thinking. A USB Bluetooth "dongle" attached, with a bluetooth remote on the other end. Simple as pie. ;)

So the new craiginator is not being built by a company but by some enthusiasts? How will they market it and mass- produce?

or they could make a media center edition bob/dock with infrared, blutooth or rf for a remote

Or the BOB could have an infrared receiver to work in conjunction with an infrared remote. I'm pretty sure that's how Archos does it.

jpic3yk said:
or they could make a media center edition bob/dock with infrared, blutooth or rf for a remote
Sorry but our posts crossed each other. Yes, this is what I'm thinking about.

lobski said:
So the new craiginator is not being built by a company but by some enthusiasts? How will they market it and mass- produce?
In terms of mass producing it, I'm sure that Craig already has his contacts in Asia. In terms of marketing it, the team should focus on the big tech blogs since they are always getting sample products to test out. They test out these sample products and in many cases even post videos (i.e. unboxing, discussion of features, and testing of the gadget). After the product has been sampled, they usually have to return it and the gadget can then be passed unto another tech/gaming blog site.

Tech blogs that should get a Craiginator sample (this is not an exhaustive list but these should be included):

Engadget
Gizmodo
Slashgear
iTech News
Origami Portal
GottaBeMobile
Gear Diary
Pocketables
CNet

Gaming/Emulators Blogs should also get test samples.

In the end, the Craiginator will be viewed by thousands upon thousands of gadget enthusiasts, word will eventually spread, and customers will ultimately buy.

How do you think that I discovered and ultimately purchased the GP2X? ;)

funtasticguy said:
lobski said:
In terms of mass producing it, I'm sure that Craig already has his contacts in Asia. In terms of marketing it, the team should focus on the big tech blogs since they are always getting sample products to test out. They test out these sample products and in many cases even post videos (i.e. unboxing, discussion of features, and testing of the gadget). After the product has been sampled, they usually have to return it and the gadget can then be passed unto another tech/gaming blog site.

Tech blogs that should get a Craiginator sample (this is not an exhaustive list but these should be included):

Engadget
Gizmodo
Slashgear
iTech News
Origami Portal
GottaBeMobile
Gear Diary
Pocketables
CNet

In the end, the Craiginator will be viewed by thousands upon thousands of gadget enthusiasts, word will eventually spread, and customers will ultimately buy.

I just hope the final product will be a high quality one!

lobski said:
funtasticguy said:
lobski said:

Engadget
Gizmodo
Slashgear
iTech News
Origami Portal
GottaBeMobile
Gear Diary
Pocketables
CNet

I just hope the final product will be a high quality one!

Agreed! As for creating a "high quality" product, please read my views here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...155&st=3636

OR....

You can just get the stand like I suggested, plug in your Bluetooth dongle, and whip out a Bluetooth remote. Wow, now you didn't have to pay $20 - $40 extra for the same thing!

-God Ginrai

tsch you and your flash....

dude craiginator was already a good product on paper anyways...damn dude its like I keep saying quit striving for perfection...what else do you need...

I'm pretty sure craig had all this wrapped up ages ago. and if it isn't there when the product is released then ask a dev to try to get it done. In the meantime BOB is not needed asked this question myself.

and quit trying to make this thing cater to every joe-schmoe around the corner. TV-out great. but no this thing will not act as a substitute for your tivo or DVR box... and a remote damn that's just lazy...

no I won't underestimate the possibly but I mean geez.........

man I gotta stop ranting... :rolleyes:

garzyboi said:
tsch you and your flash....

but no this thing will not act as a substitute for your tivo or DVR box... and a remote damn that's just lazy...

no I won't underestimate the possibly but I mean geez.........

man I gotta stop ranting... :rolleyes:
It doesn't necessarily have to be a DVR box. Just a remote to play, pause, rewind, and fast forward the video content. As for "lazy," do you find it practical to get up from the couch everytime you want to pause, play, rewind, or fast forward? The request for a remote has nothing to do about being lazy but about being practical (and I'm sure that you and most everyone else use a remote for your TV, Cable Box, DVD, etc).

What are yall, talking in rounds? you each thought of the same thing at the same time. lol. On to the next thought-\

how about the accessing of hardware via code and multi threading, what about a RTC? is that even necessary since it has wifi?

All I'm saying that is that unless the crew is equipped with industry-level machines and all the high resources that only a big company can provide, it might be inferior to other industry-level gadgets?

Or do they have all the necessary resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back