Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
realyst said:
efegea, that dashboard is very very nice and practical looking, for sure:)

btw: I love "evolutionated". I ask that it be added to the English language post-haste:)
In the near future:

Pokemon Platinum: Pikachu evolutionated into a Raichu!

;P

BTW, in all seriousness, efegea: your English is pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
efegea said:
we can run any X11 application (considering craiginator apps are X11 aplications) and switch between them.
Wow, this is Wiki information right here. It sounds like efegea knows a little more than we do about the Craiginator software. :)

He also seems to know more than anyone actually involved in the project :D

Squidge said:
javaJake said:
efegea said:
we can run any X11 application (considering craiginator apps are X11 aplications) and switch between them.
Wow, this is Wiki information right here. It sounds like efegea knows a little more than we do about the Craiginator software. :)

He also seems to know more than anyone actually involved in the project :D

Why are you (all of you) saying that seems that I know more than anyone knows about the craiginator? What have I said wrong?

EDIT: and yes, it's *assuming* and not "considering", sorry

And we say in spanish "evolucionado" so that was what caused my error

One more thing: I've not involved in any way with the project. The (dashboard/window manager) I'm coding is a own project not official nor related in any way with craigix.

Although, I did send an email to craigix asking if he will *consider* the *possibility* of using it if he liked it. The answer was negative, he'll be using an own GUI, probably using an already existing one.

efegea said:
One more thing: I've not involved in any way with the project. The (dashboard/window manager) I'm coding is a own project not official nor related in any way with craigix.
Still damn nice and an excellent example of what answer homebrew awaits:)

And don't apologize for evolutionated. I really meant it when I expressed how awesome a word that was :)

I actually used it today;)

I think I've found a problem with multitasking: the "joystick device" (analog stick, d-pad and buttons)

Usually, the joystick is read by the applications no matter if its in foreground or in background, so if you are running an emulator and at the same time in the background you have more apps running and all of them use the joystick, then all the apps will respond to the input. Mouse and keyboard usually are grabbed by the app in foreground, so no problem with them, only with joystick input. This is at least on X11, *assuming* the craiginator uses it.

I know, it's still too soon, the device is still on hardware development stage, it's too soon to speak about software problems, but I think it's useful to discuss this now, especially for me because I'm coding an interface and want to have it finished for the release of the device.

Oh, have I said I'm also coding a media center for pcs? Well, the media center and the interface for the craiginator share the 99% of the codebase. Them are both based on my "efebox", wich is a, mmm.. how to describe it? is a combination of libraries, window manager and daemons for building the media center and the craiginator's interface. :unsure: ;)

efegea said:
is a combination of libraries, window manager and daemons for building the media center and the craiginator's interface. :unsure: ;)
Call it a "framework". :)

efegea said:
I think I've found a problem with multitasking: the "joystick device" (analog stick, d-pad and buttons)
Oh, have I said I'm also coding a media center for pcs? Well, the media center and the interface for the craiginator share the 99% of the codebase. Them are both based on my "efebox", wich is a, mmm.. how to describe it? is a combination of libraries, window manager and daemons for building the media center and the craiginator's interface. :unsure: ;)
You know how to impress!! :D

efegea said:
Awesome:) I'll definitely have to give it a try:p

At this stage...

Mweston and CraigX should be thinking hard about whether they want their device to ship with an open-source, 800x480-optimized, ARM-optimized OS complete with X Server, debian package management, ARMEL eabi, internationalization, ready-to-go tools and scads of applications "out of the box"... or not.

video-center-n800.jpg

rhapsodyn800.jpg

mediaserv.png

playing.png

screenshot00.png

maemo-word-processor-screenshot.png

@pupnik
These are all existing x11 apps for embedded / mobile devices?

san said:
@pupnik
These are all existing x11 apps for embedded / mobile devices?
Yes the OS is called ITOS and is mostly open-source. See maemo.org

All that's needed really are device drivers for the hardware - an openGLes driver for the powervr, driver for wifi etc, integrated into maemo/ITOS.

I don't know how many apps are available really - but the community is all set-up around making the internet experience and media player experience as good as it can be. Streaming radio, podcasts, youtube etc. There are also good apps for streaming audio/video off your PC. Also a bunch of iphone-like on-device media players etc. All open source.

Some of my favorite open-source apps are fbreader for ebooks, gnumeric for spreadsheet, GPE for pim, Xchat / Pidgin for chat, Abiword for word processing. Faint/MyPaint/Mtpaint/Gimp are in rough-but-working state. The hildon desktop is GTK2 based. A typical OS install packed with apps fits on 128MB compressed jffs filesystem.

I mostly do quick builds of sdl games - some of my ports-in-progress are at http://pupnik.de/software.html .

Again, there's a whole world of software out there that's open-source and optimized for 800x480 AMR portable devices, and it would behoove the craiginator project to consider seriously working with us in the maemo community.

OpenTTD...
image2008.png

Songbird - browser-based media/streamer/podcaster
songbird-ccmixter.png

UKMP Media Player...
ukmp_screenshot.png

Screenshot-Songbird+0.2.5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back