Our Newest Member

Chip

[Insert Custom Title Here]
Website
chipandre.com
I happened to glance down at the "newest member" section of the main forum directory and saw this guy. I hope he isn't planning to cause as much trouble as PosionedV did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico said:
Perhaps this would best be PMed to the mods?
Only if he actually does something worth reporting. I kinda figured that if I brought it up in public then he'd know that any pranks he had in mind wouldn't be fooling anybody. Now that he's outed, it's probably a non-issue.

Was this really worth creating a thread about?

Nova said:
You tell me. If this guy started posting, how long would it take you to figure out it wasn't the real Chad?

PS - Mods, feel free to delete that account. I'm just trying to prove a point.

Chip said:
Nova said:
You tell me. If this guy started posting, how long would it take you to figure out it wasn't the real Chad?

Did he unregister?
I would've noticed immediately.

Chip said:
Nova said:

Probably about a second before I saw that he had one member "pip"

Chip said:
If this guy started posting, how long would it take you to figure out it wasn't the real Chad?

Say, how did you do that? That looks like the same username to me... :unsure:

Did you use an "a" or "c" from an alternate character set, such as Cyrillic?

Man what a drag. I sysop'ed a bbs from 80 to 92, (Come scrawl upon The Wall, raise it up), totally feel your pain, hard trying not to hate people. I had it much easier. About ten years ago someone looked me up, emails me and apologized for a psychotic campaign, described his fixation and hysteria over just a silly game, and how it was not him and not knowing what came over him, trippy, very trippy. Wondered if it was like a twelfth step thing. He was never any part of the worst of it, didn't even remember him in particular. Better living through software, I wrote the first hang up and I'll call you back and verify, even then, the lifecycle of a bbs is a spiral, they all start out open and bit by bit they beat it down and then it's closed, finally subscription and poof, sad story. Hang tough.

Sphinxter said:
Man what a drag. I sysop'ed a bbs from 80 to 92, (Come scrawl upon The Wall, raise it up), totally feel your pain, hard trying not to hate people. I had it much easier. About ten years ago someone looked me up, emails me and apologized for a psychotic campaign, described his fixation and hysteria over just a silly game, and how it was not him and not knowing what came over him, trippy, very trippy. Wondered if it was like a twelfth step thing. He was never any part of the worst of it, didn't even remember him in particular. Better living through software, I wrote the first hang up and I'll call you back and verify, even then, the lifecycle of a bbs is a spiral, they all start out open and bit by bit they beat it down and then it's closed, finally subscription and poof, sad story. Hang tough.
...huh?

Esn said:
Yep. It's a Cyrillic "a". Extended character sets are a blessing and a curse :)

Chip said:
Esn said:

I had to try that out. :lol:

Sorry Sphinxter, there's a duplicate of you registered now, kind of. I don't plan to validate the email.

jmetal88 said:
Chip said:
Esn said:

I had to try that out. :lol:

Sorry Sphinxter, there's a duplicate of you registered now, kind of. I don't plan to validate the email.

Hahaha Aint nothin' like the real thing baby.

Sphinxter said:
You OK ?, Depression ?. :huh:

Trooper

Wow, that is a serious problem (Cyrillic character sets). I daresay that if a user grabbed the same sig and avatar, that would be enough to fool most people.

The same sort of issue can be found with Unicode in URLs. It seems like the board software should be normalising usernames and seeing if they already exist!

trooper said:
Sphinxter said:
You OK ?, Depression ?. :huh:

Trooper

A little post partum thanks, just finished a game.

Back