Our Newest Member

Rico said:
Wow, that is a serious problem (Cyrillic character sets). I daresay that if a user grabbed the same sig and avatar, that would be enough to fool most people.

The same sort of issue can be found with Unicode in URLs. It seems like the board software should be normalising usernames and seeing if they already exist!
Ha, nice try. The REAL Rico is 1ee7 (spelling?). 'Normalising' would be 'nrm4l1s1n6'

We're watching you.

Back on topic

Isn't the new Primal Scream album a cracker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico said:
Wow, that is a serious problem (Cyrillic character sets). I daresay that if a user grabbed the same sig and avatar, that would be enough to fool most people.

The same sort of issue can be found with Unicode in URLs. It seems like the board software should be normalising usernames and seeing if they already exist!
I agree... is there any way of disallowing any non-standard characters (those not found on a typical keyboard) in usernames? Chip's discovery has the potential to open up a Pandora's Box. :unsure:

Esn said:
Rico said:

I agree... is there any way of disallowing any non-standard characters (those not found on a typical keyboard) in usernames? Chip's discovery has the potential to open up a Pandora's Box. :unsure:

Eh, it's not that big a deal. Even if you copy the name, avatar, and sig like I did with the fake chad78, the post count and join date cannot be faked. Even if somebody were to try to pull a prank with a Cyrillic doppelganger, they wouldn't fool more than a few people before somebody caught on. I think the ability to use non-standard characters is more important than the potential for (minor) harm.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought this up at all. Like I said, I just wanted to cut any shenanigans off at the pass by outing the faker before he posted anything. Hopefully now that everybody is aware of it we can simply be on the lookout.

Chip said:
Even if you copy the name, avatar, and sig like I did with the fake chad78, the post count and join date cannot be faked. Even if somebody were to try to pull a prank with a Cyrillic doppelganger, they wouldn't fool more than a few people before somebody caught on.

Unless they did it in more subtle ways (doing nothing too outrageous), in which case they could keep going for quite a while before anyone noticed.

Who the hell cares?

It's an online forum.

NNo-one would be that sad to develop and undermine a _FORUM POSTER_ over a long period of time...

Deleted User said:
Who the hell cares?

It's an online forum.

NNo-one would be that sad to develop and undermine a _FORUM POSTER_ over a long period of time...
And this is where you are wrong! How long have you been on internet forums dude? Since yesterday? There is so many sick and sad kids out there trying to play tricks like that, it's not even funny. While it's surely not going to be very dangerous for anyone, it is one hell of an annoyance.

Somebody could impersonate a respected member who posts rarely, such as some developers. The person wouldn't be around to object, and no-one checks the sign-up date for every message that someone posts... it's relatively easy to spot "cragix", because one of the letters is missing...

Back