Outcast + Gmenu2x

b._.o._.b

Does OutcaST have command line support? I haven't found anything in the readme file, so I guess it's not supported but want to know for sure.

try PM'ing skeezix? hes the author

sorry cant be of anymore help :(

its a great idea though :)

B)--><div class='quotetop'>
b._.o._.b said:
</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Does OutcaST have command line support? I haven't found anything in the readme file, so I guess it's not supported but want to know for sure.

Could add various options, sure.

I'm still around daily, I just haven't posted lately, as project SoonANewBorn is eating up all the time :p

jeff

edit: By which I mean .. let me know what sort of options would be needed, how they coudl be best arranged for the menus, etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix posted on Feb 26 2007 at 03:16 PM said:
I'm still around daily, I just haven't posted lately, as project SoonANewBorn is eating up all the time :p

jeff

edit: By which I mean .. let me know what sort of options would be needed, how they coudl be best arranged for the menus, etc..

Good luck on your project NewBorn! Hope it will your best bugfree release ;) Thanks for finding the time to answer this question.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I would like to see command line support so you could start a disk or savestate from gmenu2x

Would be nice if in Sterm something like:

outcast.gpe [options] [disk image name or savestate name]

should start the disk or savestate immediately without menu interference.
I'm not sure if this is what you mean by options, but if the settings from the menu could be tweakable with a global config file you would not need any options IMO. But even without options it would be very helpful if it is possible to start a savestate or disk directly.

While you are at it, could you make it possible to re-map the buttons (even if with a config file, rather than menus) ?

This would make many games sooo much more playable, including, but not limited to Frontier Elite ;) Just started getting my space game fix on OutcaST, still laggy, just like on the ST, ;) but if you turn the details down its actually quite playable. Thanks for any effort you have already put into his emu, FE2 and stunt car racer make me feel like a kid again :)

[edit]

Duh, typo's

yodaofborg posted on Feb 26 2007 at 03:39 PM said:
While you are at it, could you make it possible to re-map the buttons (even if with a config file, rather than menus) ?

This would make many games sooo much more playable, including, but not limited to Frontier Elite ;) Just started getting my space game fix on OutcaST, still laggy, just like on the ST, ;) but if you turn the details down its actually quite playable. Thanks for any effort you have already put into his emu, FE2 and stunt car racer make me feel like a kid again :)

[edit]

Duh, typo's

Wow, I think my last Outcast buld was Sept or October, damn. We're 5 days 'pas due' now so a little (lot!) nervous, but I may have some time so I'll see what I can do..

jeff

Thank you Skeezix :) , this is one of the emulators i use more.

My suggestion for this emu is to improve sound emulation. It is not the best right now. If that was improved it could be near perfect.

I added some infrastructure for command line stuff in there, but my last pair of batts just dried up (damn Donkey Kong ;), so I've got a couple pairs charging up now.

I'm using the same simple config system as in my other works, so you can specify key/values on the command line or in a config file.

The program will be launched like .. any argument provided will be parsed as either a config-file-path/name, or a config-argument. A config-argument begins with '-', otherwise its assumed to be a full path.

This should let you build a config on the command line, or from one or more files. So you could have a base config file you always use, and then a cusotm set for specific games (say), or a base config and then modify the config via the remaining command line options.

So far I've only added 4 options but once my batts are up I'll add some more things -- setting the floppy image on each disk drive, maybe the key mappings, and such.

I'll also see if I can add in the config menu to pull in a config while using the menus, and such.. we'll see how much time I have before the baby (already 5 days late) arrives :)

o Config terms honoured so far are (ignore leading *, its from C code :)
* skip intro <-- skip the raster-line intro
* skip welcome <-- skip the welcome dialog
* skip picker <-- skip the disk picker; implies reset and you've picked disks
* skip reset <-- skip the machine reset (ex: after loading a savestate)

I'll add something like:

load_a <path>
load_b <path>
load_state <path>

map_x st_fire
map_y st_up

That sort of thing.

Hows that sound?

(yes there are lots of other pending requests, but I'm just seeing if I can inject some non-huge-impacting time here.. redoing the sound system is in the queue, but not for this update DaveC :)

jeff

EdiT: Ha, I posted this sight unseen, and DaveC really did make the request I imagined he would :p Don't worry, I've done some work here and there, but I've not had a chance. Right now I'm on borrowed time, so just hacking in what I can. Its good to get the fingers going on the gp2x code again.. haven't done any homebrew in like 3 months, and the outcast code does need some cleaning up and layering...

Great, thanks for the update, looks great! Can't wait to try it out and see how it works.
Especially this one: load_state <path>

No hurry though :)

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
Great, thanks for the update, looks great! Can't wait to try it out and see how it works.
Especially this one: load_state <path>

No hurry though :)

So your goal is just to make up a half dozen scripts to launch the emu to specific games with specific key configs, right?

jeff

skeezix posted on Feb 27 2007 at 10:20 PM said:
So your goal is just to make up a half dozen scripts to launch the emu to specific games with specific key configs, right?

jeff

Maybe I can do that for some games that need special key configurations, but I mainly want to start the savestates with Gmenu2X and add a nice screenshot. The default config is fine for most games.

Gmenu2X can start OutcaST with predefined options like -load_state

Just got home now; the baby was born Fri Mar 2nd, but there were complications for my wife so we had to stay through today to make sure she was okay (and she should be fine .. a blood transfusion and such did make me very worried though .. blood pouring out and a blood pressure of something like 70-over-30 made me have visions of itbeing me and my one girl, instead of me and my two girls..)

Yes, its a girl! Baby Gabriella Marie Mitchell, 12.5 pounds of gorgeous little baby :)

I'll put up some photos and such, but only got 5 or 6 hours sleep in as many days and I'm not in good shape :)

jeff

Congrats Skeezix, sorry to hear about the complications and all, but glad it all turned out well :)

Isn't 12.5 pounds heavier than normal?

Congratulations Jeff, on your new daughter :).

Just a quick question, I've ordered a breakout board, so I can use a usb keyboard. Is this supported by OutCast, and if not any chance in the future.....

Tony

skeezix posted on Mar 7 2007 at 03:43 AM said:
gorgeous little baby :)

I'll put up some photos and such, but only got 5 or 6 hours sleep in as many days and I'm not in good shape :)

jeff

Congratulations dad! ;)
I'm sure what you and your wife have been through was a very intense and emotional experience, good to see everything worked out fine.

All I can say is .. babies are _hard_

I knew we'd have sleep issues and such, but I had no idea it would be this total and complete an assault on lifestyle!

How soon till life can have some normalacy?

How soon till can get some sleep?

How soon till I can relax with my wife a little?

man :p

I've not touched my laptop to check mail or the web more than twice in 8-9 days :p

jeff

Back